FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety - St Johns Wort

Jazzy1984
Community Member

Hi,

Just wondering if any one has tried St Johns Wort?? I have mild anxiety. NOT DEPRESSION. I actually want to live and enjoy my life, I believe I just have mild anxiety and fear that sometiems stops me from doing the things i want to do.

My doctor recommended it to me and im unsure. I have never been on any medication before as I don't believe in it - but I am at the stage now in my life where doing nothing is not working and I need to start trying some things to live a normal life and actually start to enjoy the things I do.

Over the past 2 years I have tried Acupuncture, Kinesology, Home path. I feel some 'natural' tablets i have taken from my home path have sent me on a roller coster ride and im getting worse. Getting worse as in - more headaches/time off work/nausea/fear/anxiety/panic attacks - i am getting better as in im more confident to try new things and more aware of it , but find it very hard to relax.

Any tips would be appreciated what actually works and how long does thing take to happen? If not St Johns wort, what else will or can help with fear/anxiety - sometimes i dont even know why or what im worried about???

14 Replies 14

PenguinMelon
Community Member

I recommend approaching St Johns Wort as a medicine / Drug. It should be used for a period of time and stopped. It's not to be taken continuously as a supplement. Because it does have an affect on the mind (in my experience) and also it can interact with other medicines.

I took the recommended daily dose for around two months, I would say I felt affects after about two weeks. It made me feel 'different' in a numb kind of way..I believe it was the st johns wort, because I stopped and the feeling subsided.

Other things I started at this time but continue to this day are:Stopped drinking coffee completely, running or long walks every day. Small handful of walnuts every day.

My panic attacks subsided over about 6 months, replaced by a general fear of death.. which subsided and dissipated over another year or two. That was 9 years ago, I feel completely comfortable and fine now. I've probably strayed from the question-topic of St Johns Wort.. but yes, I would recommend it as an immediate mind altering treatment while you attend to long term permanent solutions that you may identify for yourself.

Just to be a tease... do the usual prohibitions against discussing specific medications apply to SJW, Swisse calming tablets, and so on, apply here? I guess not, since this whole thread went to air. But how is the line drawn, when both SJW and prescription medications are regarded as effective against depression?

Rudugger
Community Member

If anyone is still looking up this post, St Johns Wort has shown some efficacy with depression Vs. placebo but other studies have shown no efficacy. I'd also be consulting my doctor about interactions particularly with bith control medications.

My suggestion would be to seek out a good GP, particularly one that you can have a strong health care relationship with, who will assit with a mental health care plan and engage with a Cognitive Behavioural Therapy practising psycologist. The mental health care plan should assist in providing no / low cost sessions to help with anxiety.

This accompanied by some hebal remedies (soothing teas etc), looking at diet (stimulants / sugar) and relaxation techniques (ie. yoga, meditation) could also be beneficial.

Cheers,

Rusugger.

Hi,

I just started St John's Wort yesterday, same as the OP - for anxiety.

How long before it takes effect?

How long have people been taking it for?

Thanks.

Hopskotch22
Community Member

I have been feeling fried of late. Nerves are shot, anxiety feels like it's controlling me. Not had that sensation before. I took my first dose of cenovis SJW and went about my day. I had forgotten I'd taken it and then realised in the late afternoon (about 3 hours after I'd taken it) how calm I felt. It was the first time in years that my mind wasn't constantly churning. I actually felt like a normal person. I don't want to take synthetic pharmaceuticals and can't because of my work. Based on my experience and how noticeable the impact was, I would highly recommend giving it a try.