FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

struggling with special needs children

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Does anyone else have children with special needs.I am struggling with mine.My youngest cant use a toilet when their at the age they should be.I am getting tired of changing them,does that make me a bad parent?The constant hyperepisodes are taking their strain especially that i am going through other personal stuff in my life
1,005 Replies 1,005

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Today my daughters english teacher rung today and wanted to know why my daughter hasnt been at school for the last couple of weeks.Its just anxiety and she wanted her to do an english oral on the ipad and send it to her but my daughter broke down and cried and shut her self in her room.I dont what to do we have tried everything but anxiety has destroyed her life.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
I have had some awkward questions asked by my kids this wekend.My son asked me why i dont live with mummy?My daughter been asking me about the coronavirus and why their is a shortage of toilet paper.I still dont understand my self why we have a shortage of toilet paper.It seems to be an international thing.

Hello Matchy, just read through your whole thread. It is so obvious to me that you love your children so much. It's awesome.

Anyway just wondering have you or your daughter considered like doing school online through the TAFE system? Since it appears she seems quite bright. I don,t know it may just be good for her.

And have you watched Fathering Austism on Ytube? It's about this family that has a girl, think she is about 14 years old now. You may pick up some tips. Or maybe relate to this family.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Shelll thanks for your reply and reading my thread.Most my words are from depression that i have.I have thought about other options like tafe online but i havent looked into Really looked into it yet.My daughter has a psychologist appointment this wednseday and a psychiatrist in a couple of weeks.My daughter did get her learners last week by doing it online.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
The schools are really get strict with everything now with the virus.My kids were sent home early today because of it.Another thing to worry about.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
I just putting down my latest thoughts.Now with having to home school my two kids, I am finding it very daunting.How am i suppose to teach my kids who have special needs?The school struggles and i am not mentally well enough to do it.My 16 y.o daughter is in year 11 and her subjects are hard to hard for me.I cant really help her.These are the most important two years of her school life and if she fails it will be my fault.She wants to go on and do veternary nursing but will be my fault if she cant.Her psychologist has canceled all remaining appointments for now just as we starting to make progress.I have to be a pychologist as well as a teacher when i cant even look after my own mental health and a parent.I started giving her driving lessons but now i am not allowed to and that was the one thing i could do.

Birdy77
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hello Mark,

I can hear how overwhelmed you are feeling, and i want yiu to know that you are not alone.

I have heard from two friends and my sister this week saying that they feel the same way. I was helping my niece with pythagorean theorem via text and i was googling everything as we went.

You said that the one thing you could do, teaching your daughter to drive, has been taken away. This is just temporary.

And- remember that you are so much more than a driving instructor. You provide a loving, safe, consistent home, you give your children loving attention, you cook and bake for them - these are huge acts of love.

There will be a way around the hurdles and challenges that these restrictions pkace on your daughter's study, try not to worry too much.

In years to come, your love, steadfastness and security will prove waaaay more important than if you knew how to help your daughter with her homework. I know it's important, but maybe over the term break you can set up some assistance through the school, if you tell them you are struggling to help with her studies.

I am confident that you will find a way through this.

🌻birdy

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Thanks Birdy my daughter starts her school work next week and after i have tried to help her with her homework previously i have found it really hard.I will see how she goes and how the others do as well.One of her classes their is only three in it.The physio gave my son exercises to do and it is a real struggle to get him to do them.Everything seems to be a struggle and now we have such added pressure on us because of the virus.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I am finding it very difficult for my 8 y.o son to understand whats going on.Why we can't go out and do things and why I can't get certain foods and things he wants.It breaks my heart when I see him crying and upset.

Birdy77
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Mark,

That must be so incredibly difficult, especially if he is very set in his ways with his accepted foods - i can only imagine how difficult it is for you.

Would it be possible for your ex to get some extra supplies of the foods your son will eat, and drop them over to you?

When you used to use visuals with him, did you find that they helped him to understand? Would that be something that maybe you could start up again? (Just a thought, it may not help much).

I'm so sorry you are going through all these extra huge challenges - it's a lot for you.

🌻birdy