FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Struggling with childs diagnosis

Not_Batman
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hello everyone.

I've had a lot of anxiety and depression over the years, and for the most part can keep on top of it, and manage to get through the episodes (despite the mental pain), but there are always times when everything just compounds.

To start this year off, i had an extended break before returning to work so i could do some renovations, but because a lot of companies were closed over christmas, i couldnt get the bits i needed, so the renovation is currently paused at 90%. i didnt think it was such a big deal at the time.

Going back to work, there were a couple of bigger projects lumped on to me...my team is only very small, so i cant exactly share it all around. I had been thinking about these and how i was going to do it all...I know that I cant!!

The straw that broke the camels back, is my biggest fear. Last week my child was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. out of nowhere. We were all totally calm during the tests, hospital stay, education, and so on, but once the reality set in that he'd be testing, injecting, counting carbs (rinse & repeat) for the rest of his life, it hit us hard. Now i worry about him almost every second of the day. how will he be at school, or out playing.

For anyone with a similar situation, how do you manage the juggling act with an elephant in the room, and have time to do it all, while keeping focused, supporting the family, without falling in a hole.

Not_Batman

4 Replies 4

Sophie_M
Hi Not_Batman, 

We are sorry to hear that there has been so much going on lately. We understand this must be so diffcult for you, especially now having to navigate your childs new diagnosis. Please know that you never have to go through this alone, and support is always here for you.

If you would like to talk to someone, the Beyond Blue Support Service is available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 1pm-12am AEST on our website: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport  One of our friendly counsellors will be able to talk through these feelings with you and can offer support, advice and referrals.

We hope that you will find some comfort here on the forums. 

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Not_Batman,

Sorry I've only just found your thread.

How have thing been going for your son?

I would imagine, (sorry, I have no experience) his teachers should know, the school principal, any school nurse, or whatever there is who can help kids with any illness, medication & such... ideally, as he grows he will take on responsibility for his own health needs.

My main concern would be if his having diabetes becomes a source of shame or is any excuse to tease him. I'd want to look out for that.

In the home, a healthy diet , as he would benefit from, would be good for everyone. IThis aspect could be a whole household thing. Do you know what I mean?

All the best.

mmMekitty

Hi mmMekitty

my son is going well, considering.

His teachers and staff all know, but havent had any formal training as yet, just waiting for the school to engage the educators. We have given the school a rundown on what to do, what to keep an eye on, and to contact us if there is anything out of the norm. The kids in his class all know he has T1D, and i think only 1 kid has said any thing, but my son educated the other kid.

We have said to him from day 1 that there is no shame in having T1D. it happened, you cant predict it, its not his fault, there is no cure (yet), but it is treatable. if anyone says anything, educate them.

The hardest thing for us at the moment is the behavioral side. the mood swings come on faster than you can blink, and we are trying to teach our son ways to cope with it in the highs or lows. For the most part my son has stepped up to the task by testing and taking insulin as required. i'm so proud of him for that. there are a few places he lacks being responsible, but we are working on that every day.

Its still a juggling act though. carb counting, checking the sugar content, adjusting doses, exercise, skipping doses, checking levels, then just as we're on top of it all, seasonal cold or other illness throws it all out for a while.

We have adapted our meals to suit.

Not_Batman.

Hi Not_Batman,

Sounds like you all have learnt a huge amount since January. Seems to me, your family is doing the best you can. As what needs to be done to manage his diabetes become 'normal' & the measuring levels, taking the insulin, as required, etcetera, will be as routine as every other routine thing we do daily. However we can't control for every variable.

All my best,

mmMekitty