FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Partner of someone with Borderline Personality Disorder

Coastie7395
Community Member

My partner was recently diagnosed with BPD as well as anxiety, depression and PTSD. I have read a lot of information on the internet and am trying to be supportive in the best ways I can. Yesterday he told me that he didn't want to be in a relationship, that I didn't understand him and that I continued to make things worse. He has been off his anxiety/depression meds for a few days and I'm sure this is contributing to his downturn in mood. I don't want to abandon him, I do love him, but I have got to the point where I'm not sure I can keep fighting for our relationship when he seems intent on finding everything wrong with us and blowing any tiny thing into an issue of epic proportions. When he's having his bad days I am constantly questioning my self worth. I've been trying to learn how to effectively communicate with someone with his condition but most of the time he is closed off to conversation and expects me to be able to read his mind to know what he wants. He often will use the silent treatment and today has even blocked me so we can't communicate until he's ready. I'm happy to give him space if he could communicate that to me but either he can't or I don't understand the cues for when he wants space. Any advice on the best way for us to move forward would be greatly appreciated.

1 Reply 1

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Coastie 3795

I can see the dilemma with your partner and BPD is so challenging. I had a friend who was always saying I would abandon them and they would email me 20 times ago and get mad when I didn’t answer asap. Every thing I wrote was questioned and I felt I could never say the right thing.

for my own health I was advised to stop contacting them and I felt so guilty.

Many people who have BPD have suffered trauma often as a child which explains fear of abandonment.

you may need to find out more about BPD to help you understand.I think  getting support from others in a simile situation. Take care.