FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New to the supporting family and friends forum? Here's 3 tips to get you started

beyondblue_Online_Communi
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff

New to the supporting family and friends forum? Please read our trio of tips to help you get the best out of your experience here.

Tip 1

Before posting, start by reading some of the existing threads. You may find a number of community members' experiences you can relate to. Reading about others' circumstances with supporting loved ones with mental illness might give you more insight into helping or understanding your loved one.

Tip 2

Supporting someone with a mental illness can be quite challenging, and carers, family, and friends often need support as well. By posting your experience on another community member's thread it gives you a chance to connect with others whom have a shared experience.

Tip 3

Check out the resources in the Supporting Someone on this website for further advice on how to help and support loved ones with a mental illness. Browse the resources available and share with the community what advice was useful for you.

27 Replies 27

Looking_for_help
Community Member

Hi, I am new to this forum as my husband was diagnosed with having a drug induced psychosis.

the last couple of weeks have been hell. I’ve been locked in my own house, abused, unable to go to work or see friends due to his illness.

He is now medicated and is seeking treatment.

i feel exhausted and stressed and wonder if I can still support him and be happy.

I just don’t what to do or how to regain some happiness whilst looking after him

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Lookingforhelp, welcome to the forum,

I am so sorry to hear about your husband and what you have been through.

Can I suggest you start your own thread, that way people will see you and be able to reply.

I am pleased he is now medicated and seeking treatment.

It is exhausting for you but things will change as he gets better.

Have you spoken to his doctor about what to expect.

Unfortunately although you have chosen an existing thread that is about tips for people and only infrequently visited.

Can I suggest you start your own thread, that way people will see you and be able to reply.

If you are unsure about how to make a new thread have a look at
Forums / Welcome and orientation / The forum FAQ thread
We'll look out for you there. Post here is if you have any problems starting your thread.

I will look out for your own thread.

Quirky

Freisia
Community Member

Hi to all on this wonderful site and forum. We have both an adult son and daughter who suffer severe depression which has been on-going since their late teens They are now in their forties. I also had a niece and a nephew who have taken their own lives as a consequence of depression.

Our son had a severe head injury following a quad bike accident and life with and for him has been extremely difficult since. Our daughter has been in several car accidents but also had a traumatic experience in her teen years while overseas.

I decided to start a blog while trying to understand depression. This has helped me to learn a lot more about it and gain a greater understanding.

I would love to hear from families who are trying to help a family member with depression and learn ways to cope. I did think it would get easier as they got older but it has really got much worse and it is beginning to take a toll on my husband and I . We are both in our 70's now and it is not easy as we are also still trying to support family and working long days on the farm.

I look forward to hearing from others and perhaps we can help and encourage each other.

Freisia
Community Member

Hi I am sorry you have a daughter feeling so low. It is extremely difficult as a parent but there is help available. Beyond Blue and Lifeline are both very good. It is hard when it is someone so close to you because they don't want to acknowledge that they have a mental illness to their parents. I have struggled with it for many years and so I have been working on a blog to help me both understand and deal with it.

I post about dealing with depression without drugs using cognitive behaviour therapy and diet and exercise too.

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share a few extra resources -

https://www.carergateway.gov.au/caring-for-someone

Includes info about carers payment/allowance from CL, articles about coping and info about the free National Carer Counselling program which can be accessed from a phone call too (especially handy if you're rural)

http://www.mentalhealthcarersaustralia.org.au/

Includes their (also free) MH Carers Australia hotline 1300 554 660

https://carersaustralia.saneforums.org/t5/Carers-Forum/ct-p/carers-forum

A specific forum for carers only

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear David~

I can understand your frustration, years ago when I first came here I too wanted to share my story. Doing so does give others an idea what can happen, the pitfalls and the triumphs. One of my main problems early on when I became ill was I'd no idea what was happening or what to expect.

Presented in the right way to the right people such stories are a powerful tool to better society. Both those that have a mental condition, those that care for them that do, and the officials that decide national policy and the day to day running of the health system all benefit.

Unfortunately here on this Forum is not the place. It is a very large and busy environment and there are practical restrictions, one being the 2,500 character limit, the prohibition on the discussion of particular medications, another being true anonymity and perhaps most importantly moderation to ensure what one person says does not adversely affect others.

I'd agree as you can see from the above your story may well need telling, however there are other avenues, even within Beyond Blue. I'd suggest the Speakers' Bureau, which gets people to tell their stories in public at events where they will do some good.

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-involved/our-speakers-bureau

In the meantime I normally find a person's story does come out, though a bit at a time, with fresh information being written in your thread as time goes on. This is not all bad, it does give time for reflection on each event, its implications and the right way to explain it.

I hope the above does let you understand the situation and gives you at least one avenue to try.

Croix

Hi Croix,

Frustrating is quite correct.

There are so many obstacles in the way.

David.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear David N~

You know I agree wiht you abut the frustration, however I got round it. If you look at my posts you would have a pretty clear picture of my life. The only downside is I scatter them everywhere and only have a couple of actual threads.

I guess the bottom line is that this is not the correct place for a long narrative, no matter how well written or useful to others. Perhaps you need to do research into where might be the best place. Apart from hte Speakers Bureau there are MH client representation organizations that could help.

Incidentally I'd be happy if you wanted to change you name, you are most definitely not a 'nobody' but articulate and thoughtful. What do you think?

Croix

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello David

Since this is more of an administrative thread I will be brief

Croix has made an excellent point about your screen name (the Nobody part) This isnt a criticism in any way. I do have difficulty with the 'Nobody' as you are a caring and intelligent individual. You are the same as any one else on the forums including myself

Thankyou for your caring, articulate and experienced input on the other threads too 🙂

my kindest always

Paul

Hi,

Nobody ties in with the title of my book. It resonates to me with what I was like during my journey.

And quite frankly, I would like to keep it as a protest of sorts.

David