FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Insomnia Group Chat

Todd777
Community Member

I'm looking to talk to anybody who wishes to share their experiences or somebody else's in relation to the symptoms of insomnia and potential remedies. I have had insomnia to varying degrees for the last 12 months went undiagnosed for 6 months.one of yhe things i find quite psychologically disturbing is chest pain when i get fatigued due to no good sleep i have had heart issues recently too which makes me very paranoid although when I get a check up the doc says I should be ok anf recommend the fatigue as the culprit. What is it like fir other people that's what I'm was wondering? Any similar experiences? I feel like when I get the sleep my symptoms go away and even got some good exercise in although my problem pushing too much too early and alcohol. I think i need to go dry to shake this thing

8 Replies 8

WaterFront
Community Member

Hi,

I have had symptoms of insomnia for the last few years. I have found a surefire method that works for me every single time. Don't know if it will work for everyone. I take in a long breath and hold it for the count of five, then I do a long exhale and hold for count of five, keep repeating and concentrate on the breathing. I'm usually asleep within ten times of doing this exercise. I think it simulates a sleeping breathing rhythm. Worth a try. I hope it helps.

WF

Thanks for the idea mate i will try it. Sound similar to taking a break and getting out of bed for 10 mins, also heard an idea to do light muscle tensioning exercises before or in bed apparently it helps you relax after.

FYI I found some natural supplement pills the other day and I got a good 2 hrs sleep straight away, still can not take them full time though but worth a bit of a go I thought.

Hi

i can go to sleep ok but I usually wake about an hour or two at the most later. My head demands that I get up. I usually go to the loo and then get back into bed and usually go back to sleep for an hour or two and then it happens again. I can’t just roll over . I have to get up. Recently, I’ve started going out to the kitchen and eat some fruit. Then I go back to bed and usually sleep til my alarm at 5.15am. I go to bed around 11 most nights., so I’m not averaging much in a night. After 6 months , it has worn me down and changed how I move and act in the world. It limits me in lots of ways. Nothing helps. And I won’t take any tablets that make you groggy the next day. So. I basically just wait. I figure it must change one day, surely. 
so I have nothing to offer except the knowledge that you are not alone . I hope it changes for you soon

Todd777
Community Member

Yeah I get that wake up an hour or 2 after falling asleep initially, I will wake up expecting I've been asleep for 5 hours or so. Your not supposed to look at the clock but. I think keeping busy during the day is good just depends because sometimes too much activity can have a reverse effect. I like to workout high intensity so that's my goal to get back into good shape. Are you a drinker? I drink usually although am off now, hoping it works 

Hi,

I wake up every two hours like clockwork. 2, 4 and 6am or thereabouts. Don't drink, started exercising, keep busy. It started after a relationship break up four years ago and has just continued. I have days where I manage to force myself not to think about the break up, congratulate myself, and then have bad dreams. Before that I was a great sleeper. I discovered the breathing exercise at the beginning of this year and it really works for me. Have you given it a try?

WF

Morning
Community Member

I haven’t had a drink for 23 years. I’m not a big coffee drinker. The only thing I’ve changed is that I try to have the coldest water I can stand at the end of my morning shower. I’m not quite the ice bath type but I  enjoy the cold for a minute or two.  I heard it was meant to improve your sleep. It hasn’t.  But then I think menopause trumps everything

Not yet will give it a go tonight and get back. 

Todd777
Community Member

I used to drink 2 maybe 3 cups of coffee a day now I'm 1 cup max. Plus I don't drink nearly at all compared to before it just makes things worse.