FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I think my wife is experiencing psychosis

AvailableDisplayname
Community Member

Hi all

I am on my phone so apologies if this doesn't read well. I am typing this while trying not to raise the suspicion of my wife who is becoming extremely paranoid.

She has never had mental health issues before but over the past month she has been getting increasingly delusional and paranoid. At this stage she is unable to relax and spends all day wrapped up in various causes of concern, none of which have any proof.

This began with falsely accusing me of infidelity, but has gotten worse. To be specific, at this stage:

- she thinks her phone has been hacked and is being monitored

- she thinks hidden cameras are filming her

- she thinks I've been communicating "private information" about our lives with others, and that it's gone viral on the internet

This is getting worse. I took her to the GP who asked for a blood test to rule out any dietary causes (she hasn't been eating much). I am convinced this is something much more sinister and that she needs to be medicated immediately.

We got the blood test and need to follow up with the GP, but he's not available again until next week. Am i just stressing out wanting to move fast on this or is my intuition valid? Can we afford to wait until Monday to have the doctor look at her blood test?

I have no idea what to do and the longer this goes on i am scared of her getting worse.

23 Replies 23

Sophie_M
Hey AvailableDisplayname,

Welcome to the Beyond Blue community, it's great to have you join us here.

We're so sorry to hear about what you and your wife are going through. This sounds like a very stressful situation to be managing. Does your wife recognise her change of behaviour and possible paranoia? Are these concerns you've been able to raise with your wife or with the GP? It's very proactive of you to reach out here for support and we really hope our community can provide some advice and assurance. 

We'd encourage you to reach out to our Beyond Blue Support Service, which is available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 3pm-12am AEST on our website: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport. One of our friendly counsellors will be able to talk through these feelings with you and can offer support, advice and referrals. 

If you would like to post further, please tell us more about what's on your mind and how we can best support you through this.

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi AvailableDisplayname,

Wellcome to our forums!

Sorry your wife is going through this.

I understand mental health I suffered severe anxiety OCD…. It was a very distressing condition to go through, I’ve now recovered thanks to health professionals.

Id recommend you take your wife ASAP to a clinical phycologist or psychiatrist especially if this condition is causing her distress , these health professionals can diagnose and prescribe medication if needed.

Im here to chat

AvailableDisplayname
Community Member

Thanks so much for the fast replies - i feel like I'm at my wits end.

She doesn't recognise this as odd and has spent the last few hours looking for links and patterns in things people have said. I can't get her to tune out and stop this as she is starting to find these patterns in anything she hears.

I want the gp to refer out to a psychiatrist and prescribe something but am worried about the delay in his availability. Could a delay lead to something more severe?

Dear AvailableDisplayname~

You can only do what you can. If your GP is available next week I guess that is how you might have to go.

There are some alternatives. The obvious one if things deteriorate would be take her to your local hospital if she would go with you.

If you found she or someone else was in danger you should ring emergency services on 000.

In addition many states have a CATT team for if a person cannot look after themselves, I've found it can be a better way to go. This government website will tell you what is available in your location

https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/crisis-management

Mind you the situation has to be pretty serious to take such action.

I would suggest if your wife convinces herself of something not to argue, just try to keep her out of harm's way.

Do you have anyone to be there with you and and support you, family or a friend perhaps? It can make a big difference.

I don't think anyone here could directly answer your question about if delay is harmful, in fact I'd be pretty sure many doctors might not be able to eihter, everyone is different.

As Sophie_M mentioned our 24/7 24/7 Help Line on 1300 22 4636 is available if you want to talk with someone.

Please let us know how you go

Croix

Thanks Croix.

I think you're right in that we just need to wait on the GP. I think I have been trying to 'fix' the problem and not having an immediate path of course is hard.

She is more and more adamant that divorce is necessary due to all these things she's convinced that I've done. In quiet moments in the toilet/shower i think I've wept more than i have in the last two decades.

I will try continue to stay calm and not argue with her but it's so hard when we're together all day and she brings this stuff up constantly.

Fortunately no signs of danger or violence. It will just be a tough few days ahead.

Dear AvailableDisplayname~

Well, now at least you have a few options if you need them.

You are right, trying to fix things is simply not appropriate at the moment.

I'm thinking of one matter I was involved in where treatment for something that sounds a bit similar to your wife had a very marked effect and things were much different after.

I'm no doctor so could not say anything much except sometimes things can change for the better faster than you thought possible. I hope it happens for you

Croix

You have no idea how much it means to me for you to say that. Thank you so much.

Hi AvailableDisplayname,

So sorry yourself and your wife are going through this…..

I know it must be so hard for you to listen to what your wife is saying…. It must be difficult……

When I was in the grips of OCD my loved ones felt helpless to what I was saying and going through……. I knew my thoughts were irrational and definitely sounded irrational to my loved ones but they felt very real…..

Im now fully recovered thanks to the help of health professionals..

If your gp is unavailable can you have a message sent to the doctor telling the doctor it’s urgent that the doctor sees your wife or can you see a different gp?

You can only support your wife and I can see you are already doing this….

hang in there, I’m here to chat

Hey petal22, thanks for the reply.

I am trying to get the GP to see her today, but if I book it myself she will think I'm up to no good. For now i am trying to get the clinic to contact her.

She is currently planning our divorce on account of all of this. She is convinced I'm broadcasting our lives on the internet with hidden cameras and doesn't believe anything I say.

I have been with her for 10 years and this is tearing my heart and soul to pieces.