FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Husband with depression

hanaby
Community Member

Hi all, signed up in a moment of desperation. I didn't know where else to turn.

My sweet husband of nearly 3 years  is spiralling. He never had any problems with depression til 3 years ago when he had a massive falling out with his mother and then family.  He has had problems at work, he had post natal depression after our precious daughter was born in 2010, she was very sick and had a lengthy hospital stay. 

He does see a counsellor, and that helps so much. But, what am I supposed to do when he  relapses and sits and cries about wanting to die? How do I support him through this? 

Its so hard trying to keep it all together. 

2 Replies 2

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
Community Member

Evening hanaby,

i am so sorry to hear about your husband. Depression is a awful thing to go though, but with your support he will get though this stage of his life. I know how you feel. My husband is also suffering from depression, but that's a story for another day. I am so glad that your husband is seeing a counsellor. The counsellor will help him a lot. 

I have found the best way to help my husband is to love and listen to him. 

I wish you all the best. If you need to talk, please leave me a message on my wall and I'm always happy to help.

PMD xo

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Hanaby,

Even if it was out of desperation,  welcome to Beyondblue. 

I agree that listening and just being there are good tips. The other thing I'd look into is a relapse/crisis prevention plan. A written document which outline what needs to be done in crisis and what can be done to keep him well. A template for this can be downloaded from the centre for clinical intervention (CCI) website.

Im glad that your husband is getting counselling,  if he really is spiraling you may wish to consider some option, hospitalisation to keep him safe, participating in support groups,  seeing a GP to discuss medication.

Let us know how you get on.

AGrace