FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

husband has depression wont get help has left

denise
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
my husband of 32 yrs has severe depression, it came to a head in dec 2012 when he decided I must be the problem and he didn't know if he still loved me. tho in Feb 2012 we had renewed our wedding vows all set up by him, we had a great relationship till this disease took him away.He said he needed to leave and to sort himself out, so he packed up his car and took off from queensland where we live to the banks of the river murry in Adelaide.Not only did he leave me but also his two adult children and his beautiful g/daughter whom he adored. He has been gone 9 mths now and he is still no where near to 'sorting himself out' he absolutely refuses help, we do have contact but more on his terms. He came home in Aug for 3 days and for a day we had a beautiful time but he still felt the need to go but he said our time together gave him hope for our future, but our contact has gone back to where it was before, he seems to be setting up a life down there but he is still very ill.His depression started after a major back operation, and he started to feel to feel useless and angry as he was in constant pain. I'm so worried that he will be like this for ever as hes not getting help. He has no light in his eyes anymore. i'm so confused and worried about him and his children miss him terribly but has limited contact with them also. I have great support and am seeing a councillor but its hard going, I love this man very much and want him home but most of all I want him to get well.
5 Replies 5

Michael1871
Community Member

Hello Denise,

I can see that you are feeling extremely worried for your husband.  This is also a difficult problem for your family with no easy solution in sight.  It is admirable that you talk about this and seek advice [or even just an ear to hear you]

Your husband seems frustrated at himself first and foremost.  When he said in December last year that 'you were the problem,' he was feeling that because he wasn't the same person he was before, the person you've known for 32 years, he has failed you and your family.  When he packed up and left, he must have done it because he felt shame and anger at himself for being a 'useless and angry' man in constant pain.  He does not want to burden his own family, believing that he needs to 'sort himself out' first before he becomes worthy enough to come home and resume his role as a husband and father [and grandfather].

The issue here, and the reason that he has not 'sorted himself out' even after 9 months, is because he does not want to receive help from his family.  Ultimately depression can only be overcome by the person who suffers it, but acquiring support makes it easier.  The problem may be that he feels ashamed in seeking help from his own family, who he has supported as a father and husband for so long.  As cliched as it sounds [apologies] but sometimes depression does not come from weakness but when one has been strong for too long.

In terms of why he has limited contact, talks only in his own terms and even returned back to Adelaide after seeing his family was that he himself wanted to feel prepared to talk to the family that he feels he has disappointed.  However, when he does contact you, he is only reminded of his continued failure [since he knows that he has been absent from the family and yet has seemingly made no progress].  It is a continous cycle of shame, depression, recovery and shame.

This is my belief, speaking as a fellow male. His sentiments may be grounded on the belief that the man has to be the 'rock' of a family [i am making an assumption on his regular character].  As a man, sometimes there are things I don't want to talk about to my immediate family.  However, if he has other male friends, they may provide the initial support and confidence for him to get back on his feet.  He needs to discuss his feelings and thoughts, but at the present time I believe you would be more successful if he talked to one of his male friends or any other person he can trust outside of the family/ the people he believes he has failed [even a distant relative would do]

That would be my suggestion.  Sorry if the post is long and didn't really provide a quick-fix solution.  I hoped that I could explain some of your husband's behaviour, although this may not have been what you were looking for.  An important thing, no matter how hard, is for the family to stay strong for him in this difficult time.  I feel that if the family loses strength, then he will definetely feel like he has failed his family.

Best of luck

Jo3
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Denise

I am so sorry to read your story and what you, your husband and children are going through.  It made me realise how depression can affect people in such different ways.  I had tears reading your story and I feel for you.

Is there anyway he could get help by even seeing his doctor.  It must so difficult for loved ones like you seeing someone you love so much be affected by depression.

I just hope that your husband does get some much needed help. 

Please take care and I am thinking of you. I hope your husband gets better and works through his issues.

Hope you stay in touch and let us know how things go

Jo

vip
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Denise I have a friend who's father took off when she was abut 6wks old and she also has a brother who was about 2. He moved state somewhere and my friend now is 44. He gave his wife kids no explanation why he did it all he does is every 6 months write his kids a letter. My friend told me if they do see something like try and track him down he will disappear all together you must do it his terms also. I know this situation is a little different to yours but the wife in this case got the police to track him down and divorced him because he decided not to come back. My friend now suffers with full blown panic attacks and she has 2 kids her brother never got married and this guy has 2 granchildren the wife she has struggled all her life and the courts have signed the house over to her as he didnt pay mortgages ect. I always ask my friend and she thinks he is living a double life over there a new partner ect and yes he must be severely depressed too. You might need to get some legal advice here as to how long he can do this for and find out what is actually going on yes ok he admitted he is depressed but get treatment close to home why so far these are things you need to look at. I know you love him a lot but make sure you are looking after your welfare as well and thouroughly check what actually he is up to depression can make you lie severely as i know i did being a sufferer for 22 yrs you become a different person and it can lead you to a double life so maybe put the personal feelings aside and do a bit of investigating if need be get a private investigator to track him down to know its not just depression. Goodluck with what you decide and look after yourself.

denise
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

michael1871 thank you so much for your reply, everything you said made so much sense and everything you said is basically what my husband has said, he has said to me how he always worked hard for us to give us a good life but now feels utterly useless as he cant do it anymore due to his back, he feels half a man. im taking on board your suggestion in getting a friend of his to contact him, he offered to talk to my husband but i didnt follow thru with it because i was worried my husband would be upset by it. His friend struggled with depression and has come thru it so it may be the voice he needs.I sometimes forget he is suffering because i dont understand how he can just leave us especially his children but thru ur reply it has helped me ubderstand his way of thinking. thankyou

denise
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

thanks jo3 i appreciate the time you took to read and show your support, it helps alot