FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Helping my Brother who has started acting on visions

OwenPage
Community Member

Hello,

I am looking for some guidance to help my brother who has slowly been thinking he is being followed by 'dark spirits'. Over the past 10 years he has been involved with faith healing, then conspiracy theories and now thinks that dark beings or beast people are in the bush and out to get him.

This has put a lot of stress on my parents, who live on a region property and he thinks that the beast people are going to attack them. They are getting frustrated with his attempts to scare them, which are becoming more extreme, and he is frustrated that they don't believe him. He is so convinced that the beast people are coming that he has set up cameras and has started to 'patrol' the property with a cricket bat.

I was wondering firstly who I should contact for advice, a psychologist or counselor? Then how do we engage him about his condition. I have tried hearing him out just to keep him engaged with family, but a he cites 'internet evidence' for his beliefs which make it hard to rationalise reality with him. He has also been smoking pot which I definitely think has contributed.

I've always thought he has suffered from anxiety, and perhaps this is being manifested with these beast people. But I am not in a position to assess this, plus how do I start that conversation with him?

Thanks for any advice.

4 Replies 4

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello OwenPage,

Sorry I honestly have no experience with this kind of thing but it sounds like a horrible situation to be in.

I would make a guess that a psychologist would have more academic knowledge about supernatural beliefs and, even if unable to convince him they don't exist, be able to relieve some of the anxiety he may be feeling about it.

You may even be able to ask your GP for any advice on how to proceed and they may be able to refer you to someone else.

It's a tough one for sure. Let us know how you go.

James

OwenPage
Community Member

Thanks James, really appreciate your help.

That sounds like a good starting place with a psychologist and GP.

Cheers.

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Don't forget to look after yourself as well. It sounds very stressful and your health is just as important as his, so the doctors will also be able to help you manage you/your parents roles as carers of him (though he seems to believe he is taking care of you guys!).

All the best, we will be here if you want to post again.

Miss_JoJo
Community Member

Hi OwenPage,

This sounds like a very difficult situation for your whole family. You're doing a wonderful thing, seeking advice on how to help your brother.

I think the first step is booking a double appointment with a GP, you will need enough time to explain your concerns, get advice, and a written referral to an appropriate Mental Health Profesional.

You may then need to meet with / or phone the Mental Health Professional you are referred to, in order to discuss your brothers' condition and plan what to do from there.