FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Helping from afar

Rainbow1
Community Member

I'm currently overseas, visiting my family. I return to Australia tomorrow, and last night my mother informs me she is concerned about my younger brother, who she says has had suicidal thoughts. 

As the older sister, I feel like I want to do something to help, but not sure how to, as my visit ends soon. He is a very private person, and is not one to delve into his thoughts/feelings with anyone.  I did today send him an email saying that I've noticed he's quiet, and he replied that things aren't going well. I asked if I can help in any way. Believe me, this is a pretty big step, as he really isn't one to tell family how he's going. Perhaps he feels "safer" emailing, rather than face to face. Hopefully this dialogue can continue. 

I also want to give some guidance to my elderly parents, who are probably coping with this on a daily basis, but perhaps haven't wanted to burden me as I live halfway around the world. 

If anyone has suggestions on how to help my brother and my parents, I'd love to hear. 

Many thanks. 🙂

1 Reply 1

SubduedBlues
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Rainbow1

You're probably in the most difficult position at the moment, so far from home and feeling like you're unable to help. There are a couple of websites available for youth that may be of assistance for him, such as biteback .org .au and reach .org .au -- if you could get him to have a browse through them. LostAllHope .com is a bit more on the darker side of this issue, but it too can be helpful for people who are adverse to the sites that are trying to "save" you but still are in need of being saved.

Best wishes

D'