FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Cycle of abuse

Siena_Rose
Community Member

Would love some advice on how to support a friend who is being abused by his wife. She constantly puts him down, is aggressive towards him and controls every aspect of his life. She throws things at him and is completely unhinged. She is a victim of abuse from her teenage years but has now become an abuser. Her violence is known to police and there have been times where she has been removed from the family home by court order to protect the children. There doesn’t seem to be any support for my friend as the father trying to hold it all together. I am worried about his mental health. He has seen a psychologist before but can’t afford it.

2 Replies 2

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Siena_Rose

Thankyou for writing in with your concerns. It is humbling from our perspective that people like yourself voice concern for others mental health. Your friends husband might well be struggling with a history of professional care no longer affordable.

Unfortunately this problem you speak of, that being this man being abused, is a problem that others like yourself (from the outside looking in) faces a line in the sand in regard to what you can and cant do/say. It is their marriage. However what I would advise is to monitor and be ready to be a supporter of either or both of them in a time of real need if authorities arent involved. 

What is similar is Grandparents observing their child go through marriage difficulties. They run a high risk of further conflict if they get involved. But if they sit back and be there when asked, be supportive oerall, then they are assisting in the best way possible.

Bare in mind, your female friend as abusive as she is acting, might also need help and one day might ask for it. Listen, comfort, make suggestions, keep calm and treat her in a manner with the best outcome- that she does receive the help she needs.

It's a delicate balance.

I hope that helps. Thankyou for caring. You are a special individual.

TonyWK

Hi TonyWK,

I appreciate you taking the time to respond today and I agree there is a line that can’t be crossed. Hard watching people you love in so much pain. Thanks again and take care.