FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Can family pets be early warning system?

Pixie15
Community Member

Hi,

I am just wondering if family pets can detect changes in mood.

I have been woken in the night recently by the partner's dog barking beside my side of the bed at my partner who was standing next to it. I am not sure how to explain this and if I should be worried by it. My partner said he had not done anything and could not understand the dog's reactions. I am wondering if the dog could have reacted to my partner's moodiness.

Does this sound unusual to anyone else? Am I just overreacting? 

thanks 

Grateful.

4 Replies 4

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Grateful, 

This is a very unusual one! Pets have an incredible sense of smell so I guess it's possible that the dog is picking up hormone changes. My cat always knows when im crying and will seek me out to sit on my lap. 

I guess the most important thing to consider is, is your partners moodiness something that needs to be explored? 

AGrace

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Grateful, animals have been known to pick up senses from their owner.

There was a cat in nursing home that knew when someone was going to pass away, so this particular cat would jump onto the bed of this person who later on that day did pass away.

There are also dog's that have an instinct on whether someone is going to have a seizure, as well as other dogs trained in this field, but to do this they have to have an instinct first.

So to answer your question I do believe that it's very possible. Geoff.

Pixie15
Community Member

Hi AGrace,

My partner's dog does seem to have a sense for when your upset and she does react to angry and aggressive people. It is unusual. Maybe the dog is getting too attached to me. I can not do anything about my partner's moodiness. I do not know why he would be angry or aggressive in the middle of the night.

thanks,

Grateful

Pixie15
Community Member

Hi Geoff,

That is a lovely story about the cat. 

Maybe my partners dog has an instinct for when peoples emotions are not right. I will try and observe her more closely.

It might help me understand what is going on.

thanks,

Grateful.