FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Any job that understand my anxiety so I can work.

naya_mk
Community Member

Hi,

I have been struggling with severe anxiety and depression, which makes it difficult for me to go out and talk to people. I fear being seen as weird, and I always feel like people are judging me. Although I can speak and understand English, it's not my first language, and I have trouble understanding accents or fast speakers. As a result, I leave the house only once every three months or less, and when I do, it's usually only with my husband.

Recently, my husband lost his job, and we are having a hard time. While I take care of my family by doing all the cooking and cleaning, I feel useless because I'm not contributing financially. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience or qualifications, as I got married at a very young age. I moved to Australia 11 years ago, but I've never worked or gone out on my own.

My fear and depression have taken a toll on my life. I have no friends, and I even fear taking phone calls. I don't visit the doctor and delay seeking help until it's serious, and my husband is the one who speaks for me. Currently, the situation at home is bad, so I was thinking if there is any job that could understand my anxiety and not judge me.

I am hoping to find a job that can accommodate my anxiety issues. I would prefer to work somewhere that understands my anxiety and can provide me with the necessary training and support. I worry that during an anxiety attack, I might have trouble understanding instructions and carrying out my duties.

Is there any government training programs or jobs that could be a good fit for me? I would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions you may have.

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hi naya_mk,  Thank you for your openness in sharing here. It’s a really good place to have come to hear from others who understand what you’re going through. We can hear how difficult it has been, we’re so sorry that’s been going on.  Many members or our community will be able to relate to a lot of what you’ve been going through and be able to share some of the wisdoms that have helped them. In the meantime, here’s some pages from around the Beyond Blue site that you might like to look at:  If at any point you want to talk through what you’re feeling, we’d highly recommend calling the Beyond Blue Support Line on 1300 22 4636. The counsellors there are super kind and supportive, they’re understanding and can be good to talk to right in the midst of the anxiety symptoms. You can also reach them via Online Chat.  Thanks again for sharing. We’re here to listen and offer support, and you never know how your story might help someone else.  Kind regards,  Sophie M 

Hi naya_mk,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're feeling this way. 

Beyond Blue offers support for those suffering with anxiety or of you would like you could check out online services like:

• Headspace
  • Black Dog Institute
  • Lifeline
  • Head to Health 
  • Mind Australia

I would particularly recommend that you reach out to Mind Australia because they will be able to help you live independently while working around your condition. You can contact them online and the workers there are driven and understanding. 

Kindest regards,

Yours_truly