FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What to do?

Guest_81492283
Community Member

I struggled with mental health and depression for a long time when i was younger. Bullying and family issues lead to it starting. I SH but refused to beleive i was depressed and frequently thought about suicide, I nearly commited. I'm ok now. Im 17 but feel guilty that my parents dont know. I want to tell them but I dont know how to bring it up or what to say. Sorry.

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hi Guest_81492283,

Welcome to the Beyond Blue forums. It was so brave of you to reach out here. We can understand how difficult it must be to feel this way. Thank you for letting us know about this.

This is something you could discuss with the counsellors here at Beyond Blue, whether on the phone (1300 22 4636) or via webchat https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support

We’d also suggest reaching out to Kids Helpline (1800 55 1800). Kids Helpline offers free phone counselling services 24/7 or you could also contact that via email or webchat through their website: https://kidshelpline.com.au/ If you’re feeling unable to avoid acting on thoughts of suicide or self-harm, this is an emergency, so please call 000 (triple zero).

Community members have mentioned an app called ‘Calm Harm’ being helpful for managing self-harm urges. This may be a helpful tool.

Our community is full of lovely people, and some have experience of dealing with similar experiences. We’re sure they’d love to hear a bit more about you and may drop by and share their thoughts here once they spot your post.

Kind regards,

Sophie M

arcticbutterfly
Community Member

Hi there, I am so sorry you have been struggling. I am new to all of this, my daughter is 14 and she is dealing with depression and self harm. As a mum, I can tell you that I would personally always want to know what my kids are going through. My daughter also didn’t tell me for a long time but I knew she wasn’t well. Parents know. I know nothing about you or your family but for me, finding out was sad and confronting and scary but so much better than not knowing. My daughter will tell you I don’t always react the way she needs me to but I am learning and trying to educate myself and doing my best to listen. I want to be there for her and I am so glad she is slowly letting me in. 
as for how to tell them, for us, writing notes and messages works best and now we are slowly progressing to talking.

i hope you find the way. It is clear from your post that you are very strong person for having come this far. Don’t feel guilty, but share if you can, you are not alone 😊