FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

The constant struggle.

Centaured
Community Member

Why do I wake with thoughts of wanting to die...the struggle of the previous day hasn't stopped and it has already started from the moment my eyes open and will last til I close them again and then continue to go on until sleep takes me or I give in. I have found nothing really seems to give me relief from these thoughts.

So what is so bad about my life you may ask. What is so wrong or bad my existence that is the only thing ever in my head. Well nothing really, so I don't know why I want to die. I just do. I just need every to stop. I want the only permanent solution to my life.

I'm tired of dealing with this all the time. I'm tired of fighting that person in my head that tells me to do it. I'm just tired.

288 Replies 288

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Centaured

Checking in to see how you are, how you're managing what basically feels impossible to manage at this point. If we were permitted to speak freely here, describing this feeling (the impossibility to manage) would have me writing down a lot of expletives in my description.

Have been reading a number of articles on DID. People's stories are so heartbreaking. What they've faced in life, especially in the earlier years of their life, leads me to tears. In my mind, I just want to pull them out of those situations and save them from so much cruelty and sufferance. Those who have faced so much sufferance have faced the worst in human nature, while doing the best to face the worst at such a young age.

it's interesting how people with alters have managed them. There have been a variety of ways, depending on each person and what works for them. While some have managed to identify which alter knows themself well and all the others (their natures, behaviours and triggers), some have managed to precisely pinpoint the very moment when each one came to life, under what traumatic circumstances. Some have had friends or family introduce them to their alter, through video tapes (which they've found hard to watch at first). Some have come to rely on some of their alters, while learning how to consciously bring some of them to life. Some people have managed to get a number of their alters to journal (not all), so they can come to know them better and have them interact with each other. They've had them write letters to each other. Some people have managed to thank some of them for incredible service to their mental health (such as who they may label as 'the a-hole' who is outstanding when it comes to managing degrading potentially depressing people). Of course, some are aware of this alter and some are not (they're told about them by others). So many different people, who manage in so many different ways. As you'd be able to relate, many people struggle with the loss of time factor, being left to wonder what the heck they did during that time. That, in itself, would be so incredibly stressful. While it does not come close in comparison, I recall my days as an alcoholic waking up to feeling the fear/anxiety in regard to what I may have done while I was not fully conscious the night before (who I may have deeply hurt emotionally, what bridges I'd burned, how I'd behaved etc). I feel for you so deeply.

I'm scared to say all how I really am in case they send the police around again. 

I hurt myself yesterday again and spent nearly all night in ED getting medical attention. Slept most of the day here in bed and I'm in a bit of pain.

I guess if I was to put to words exactly how I am all I'd say is just say shit. 

I don't have the energy for a long reply about feelings and stuff so when people ask me that it's all that comes out. It's been a while since I've wanted to be alive or looked forwards to anything. It's been a while since my depression has made me feel safe. It's been a while since my mood has given me the energy to fight those thoughts. It's been a while since I've been slightly ok. I guess something else that comes to mind is I can't do this. But here I am still trying and that pisses me off. 

Centaured
Community Member
I am really struggling whether to reach out to my mental health after hours or just follow through with everything. 

The police got involved then called their clinicians who put me under the mental health act last night. They took me to hospital and here I am...alive.

I think I'm angry but I still feel nothing, still too numb to function, still no drive, nothing to live for. 

I don't want to be in hospital, I don't want to be here, I don't want to exist.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Centaured~

Yes it is so hard finding yourself back in hospital, now on a Mental Act Order. I don't know if you find that order a comfort or an obstruction to what you may want to do.

I've hated being in a ward and have been deeply upset by being there. It did however give me a time away from everyday life - which was what was making me suicidal - and I guess this does help, for me at least. A breathing space if you like.

Can I ask what conditions are like -are you in a ward with others, are any of the staff decent, do you have anything to occupy yourself? I'd like to know about those sort of things you have to deal wiht if you did not mind. Brings back memories for me.

I hope they make you comfortable and keep your mind occupied with things that are OK.

Croix

Centaured
Community Member

Hi Croix

Im in the mental health part of the ED. They never actually admit me to a ward. So im in a cubicle in a closed ED, they strip me of my clothes and bedding and give me the suicide blankets and gown. The only thing I'm allowed is my phone. 

I'll probably go home today. It's been the 48hrs I'm usually allowed in here for. 

For me, I feel like hospital is pointless, yes I'm safe in there but it doesn't actually help me. Ive lost count how many times I've been here and I'm getting worse not better. Especially over the last month or two my mood has dropped to the worst it's been since I had ECT a few years ago. The hospitals are doing nothing to try to help. 

I feel trapped in hell.  

Hey Centaured,

Thanks for sharing this update. We're sorry it's feeling a bit pointless at the moment. It's good that you can feel safe there, but we can imagine how frustrating it would feel. 

If at any point, you want to reach out to our counsellors to talk this through, we’re on 1300 22 4636, and you can reach us online here. There’s also our friends over at the Suicide Call Back service on 1300 659 467, or Lifeline on 13 11 14.

Thanks again for sharing, and we hope you know how much we appreciate your openness here. This community cares for you.

Kind regards, 

Sophie M

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Cantaured~

Only in ED? Have you any idea why you are not admitted to a ward? My own experiences tell me that ED is not the right place for situations like this, admit and discharge multiple times.

It's no wonder you feel the whole exercise is pointless. While true you are safe at the  moment, if they discharge you then it feels like you are basically back to square one.

If you don't mind my asking what would you prefer out of being discharged or going on a psych ward?

Frankly in your situation I'd be frightened as well as attracted to being let out home.

I know Sophie_M is trying her best to give you options. Yes, I'm sure they are not new to you however it may be just one spark from one operator can assist.  I've spoken to one professional that had a sense of humor, rather than just being so serious - boy did that make a difference.

Croix

Centaured
Community Member

So I was discharged yesterday. I don't know why the hospital won't admit me, they say it won't help help someone with a presentation like mine. 

I saw my psychiatrist today, I opened up to him about a few things going on and he was supportive. Im going to be starting an antidepressant. 

I also inspected some potential new houses in the morning and really liked one of them. I will be having a multidisciplinary meeting next week to discuss where to from here regarding my treatment and care and also to discuss moving and stuff. 

Despite having an ok day I feel really triggered this evening. I had a bunch of flashbacks when I got home from my psychiatrist and I'm exhausted and in a lot of pain. I haven't had flashbacks for a long time and it is shit to say the least. I want to cry, I want to scream, I want to dissociate, I want to self harm, and idk what else. 

I just took my meds early. Maybe they'll help. Idk. 

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Cantaured~

OK, so it moves on a bit, the only thing I realy thought about was your saying you opened up to your psych a bit.

Now I've been in the situation where I did not take my psych into my confidence, this of course set him off on the wrong track and initially at least he did not know to address suicidality.

I'm a little worried you are in the same boat. Sorry if I do you an injustice.

The flashbacks are something else, would not wish them on anyone. I found that the lingering on into consciousnesses afterwards was itself pretty bad.

I guess as time went on I tried to plan for this, I could not top the flashback but as soon as I became conscious I was having one -in other words I was coning out of it - I had somethng the to divert my mind to better things straight away.

I've probably mentioned it before -I forget - but I think Smiling Mind does help

https://www.smilingmind.com.au/smiling-mind-app/

So I've use the to change tracks as it were and then had something pleasant to go to afterwords -eve if it is only an ice-cream.

Dunno if that helps

Croix