FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New school and mental health 😫

Ashara
Community Member
I moved three months ago to a new school. Just a Lill back story a year ago I wasnt going to school till late next month I hadnt been to school for a year or so cause of bullying and my mental health was detiriating rapidly. I was homeless for a while in a mobile home then when the address got put on file police dcj and everyone started turning up every day multiple times a day . I started to get really upset cause I didn't want to go to another school and they kept pushing and my mental health started getting worse again . They didn't know that I was suicidal cause of it but I started having bad panic attacks every time they came. Fast Forward to October 4th I woke up and before annyone turned up I decided to try and end my life dad took me to the hospital and he warned them the whole time I wasn't doing well but nobody listened till I ended up in hospital. About two weeks after they managed to get me to go to school and what I was under the knowledge that I'd be going part time silly me they made me go everyday burnt me out so I started wagging school. Fast forward to this year I was going to the school not Verry often then got lectured about my attendance and I broke down Infront of the welfare teacher she didn't care cause she just sent me back to class . Now I'm at another school and they are starting to ask questions as to why I'm still wearing jumpers and trackies and I just say I'm comfy in them but it's getting hotter and I'm not doing well cause I'm now waging at my new school and I've been told if I don't stop I'll be on a suspension warning and I'm not 100% sure but I think they know what happened last year the thing is I've come a long way but it just feels like everyone wants to care once you are in pecies and when your not they don't care I don't want to talk about my problems to the school cause then they will start treating me differently and they already are saying to me oh are you going to leave school next year and it's sorta upsetting cause I want to complete school but I don't cause I'm just not getting annything done . And I can't help but remember this comment that was said oh you can't just go to wellbeing and sit there cause you don't wanna go to class you have to actually have a problem and most of the time I have multiple but it's just in my head that no one cares unless something has already happened then it's too late 
2 Replies 2

Lavender2
Community Member

I know how you feel.  School can sometimes feels like that and is one size fits all.  It’s only made for extrovert or people pleasers.  Remember success in school does not mean success in life.  

Sophie_M
Dear Ashara,

Welcome and thank you for coming to the forums to seek support. Please feel confident to express yourself and your concerns openly and without fear of judgement, as this is a safe space. We are sorry to here that you have had such a rough year and that you feel as though nobody cares unless you are at crisis point. Seeking help and advice is a great step and hopefully the advice given will assist in making a positive change to your situation.

We understand that you have had little luck dealing with the school support systems and this is unfortunate as they can often be a helpful part of the support system for students. But just because they have not assisted in the past, please don’t feel that you must suffer in silence. Do you have a regular GP or professional mental health support?

If not, we would highly recommend engaging with your GP to seek a mental health support plan. You would be able to discuss your history and current experiences in a safe space and if you are comfortable, you GP could assist in liaising with the school to limit their pressure and negative responses to your needs. The GP would be able to discuss this in detail with you and then ensure that your school is only informed of what they need to be, with your permission.

If you would like to talk about your concerns or your difficulties engaging with adequate school support, we are always here for you. Please contact Beyond Blue either via phone  1300 22 4636 or through Beyond Blue Online Chat 24/7. The Beyond Blue safety planning app might be worth looking at, too. You can read about how it works and where to download it here.

If you have not engaged with them before we would also recommend Kids helpline on 1800 55 1800 or at Kids Helpline . This service is available to anyone 25 years old and under and specializes in advice for younger age groups.

Thank you for trusting our supportive community and sharing your experiences, we hope you find the shared insights and advice of our members helpful.

Warm regards
Sophie M