FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Instead of harming myself I now........(list three of four dot points)

Aaronsis
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi lovely people

I just wanted to start this thread as "self harm" seems to be an increasing topic that I have noticed lately.

Firstly there is some wonderful information at this link:

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/suicide-prevention/feeling-suicidal/self-harm-and-self-injur...

Some of the discussion I have been involved in I am hearing that the "techniques" that are suggested to people to do or use instead of hurting themselves is "silly", "don't work", "well if it was that easy I wouldn't be here". So I want to reach out to anyone and everyone to perhaps put down three or four or as many as you feel comfortable to, tips that DO WORK for you.

I have suggested smashing plates, in a controlled space of course and not your mum's best plates either! Do you think this would work?

I think knowledge is power and the more we share knowledge we can use it to help others and to make a difference, a real difference in someone else's healing.

I also understand this is a sensitive topic but if you feel comfortable to share what works for you or what you need in that time that stops you from hurting yourself that would be so helpful.

Please be mindful this is a sensitive topic so just dot point the things you do instead of hurting yourself.

Huge hugs to you all.

Sarah xxx

89 Replies 89

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi all on this thread especially Tayla and Sarah.I was seven years old when i first self harmed my self.I was feeling very lonely and depressed at the time.I ended spending a few weeks in hospital and that included christmas day.I saw really sweet old lady who was child psychologist there.I use to do a lot of work with her.I did change schools when i was nine and then self harmed again when i was 11 y.o and ended up in hospital at easter.I got to work with the same psychologist which helped.I didnt self harm again to i was an adult.

Hey Mark

Thank you so much for sharing what is a very personal and painful history of your self harming.

Seven is so very young, and to even have the awareness to do this to one's self is really frightening too.

How do you manage now to keep those urges away? Do they come back from time to time and what do you do to stop? Only share if you feel comfortable to .

Thank you Mark for your support here.

Hugs

Sarah xx

Matchy69, Thank you for sharing.

I'll share a little of my story too.

I was in my early 20's the first time I self harmed. This was after coming out of a bout of anorexia (unusual, but not unknown for men). My girlfriend at the time was horrified and I promised her I would never again. That girlfriend became my wife and we are still married after 30 years.

I have only broken that actual promise only once. I was away at that time and in a highly emotional situation. I feel the need to break the promise again almost daily. I sort of sidestep the promise by not being kind to myself and it is a constant battle to never go further.

The dangers with self harm are twofold. First is that it can unintentionally go too far and cause more serious damage than intended. Second is that it can become more severe if you become accustomed to it (like building a tolerance to alcohol or caffeine).

Developing strategies to control the urge and let it pass unfulfilled is crucial. If you are feeling these types of urges it is important to seek help. Managing on your own is really hard no matter how strong you feel you may be.

Another suggestion for deferral/delay of harmful urges is:
- Cleaning.
I also find this therapeutic as I can focus on something that has been neglected for a while and produce a visible result. Focus on jobs that are not done all the time (like oven, splashbacks, sweeping deck/patio/walkway, mopping floors, de-icing freezer, cleaning in hard to get at places).

Take care Matchy69. You are worthwhile and needed. Hugs.

Alasdayr.

Hey Alasdayr

I really cannot thank you enough for your contribution to this thread, I am learning so much about distraction, what that can mean and things to do that might actually help a person to be able to distract.

The whole point of this thread was exactly what is happening and I am so very grateful to be able to learn about why people might harm themselves but also ways that work and are trusted to be able to help prevent the harming.

I find your input here so invaluable Alasdayr....THANK YOU.....I am just sorry that your experience is such that you do have these tools....I am so grateful for "the promise" you have made, and that you have kept it.

Hugs

Sarah

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Sarah I am not sure if i knew exactly what i was doing when i was seven,I didnt know i would end up in hospital.I was being teased at school,didnt have any friends and didnt like my self.When i was eleven i knew what i was doing and wanted to end up in hospital.I was being teased at my new school and the same thing was happening as it did in my old school.I have done it on and off in my adult life.I havent for ages,i think its my kids that i dont do it anymore.Its the thought of not seeing my kids.I went through a lot to get to be able to see my kids and get joint custody.

Matchy69,

I can understand and wanting to end up in hospital when being teased/bullied at school. I am convinced that part of my "unhealthy desires" are due to school bullying and the mental coping strategies I developed to avoid further trauma. Good you have joint custody of your kids.

In a way, you have highlighted another strategy for delay/deferal:
- Taking time to focus on those important to you.

I have a safety plan. This reminds me of why I should stay safe. It includes photos and songs that help me feel better.

My phone's cover screen is a photo of my wife and daughter. It is there to remind me of what is worth holding on to. The BeyondNow app with my safety plan is also easily accessible. As too is the "Virtual Hope Box" app.

Alasdayr.

Aaronsis
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi everyone

I just wanted to jump in and see how you are all doing and to also to see how you are going in these times of change with how we are living our lives during COVID-19. These are really strange times and some of the things that we do or things we have in our safety plans may not be possible, I just wanted to reach out and see what you are doing and how you are coping when some of the ways to connect are not realistic at the moment.

It is a really great time to update, and if you haven't already got on to the Beyond Now Safety App, to have a look and make some changes so that they are current and reflect the changes that are in place with physical distancing as well as isolation. What can you do instead of seeing your best friend for a coffee and a hug? Using things like face time or house party or the apps that you can see your friend and have a "virtual coffee" and a "virtual hug".

Here is the link to the information about the Beyond Now app:

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/beyondnow-suicide-safety-planning

One of the really awesome things is that you can get some assistance in completing your plan with some help from the Suicide Call-back Service (1300 659 467) or Lifeline (131114) with one of their counselors over the phone if you do need some extra support or some relevant ideas during this time.

I would really love to know, if you feel comfortable sharing that is, what you are doing to stay focused on your reasons to live and to stay safe, how you are staying connected with your loved ones and the community, it might even be you have joined new groups or even chatting here on the forums.

Step 5 in the Beyond Now app is People and places I can connect with, so it would be really great to know how you are staying connected with those who support you through your time of need and what changes you are making during this time of isolation and physical distancing..what is working for you now?

I appreciate so very much the sharing and knowing about the ways you do stay safe, the way you do reach out to keep safe and to stay alive, just know that you are helping so many others too, that read these threads and may not have the courage to post. You are so valuable and I appreciate you.

Stay safe everyone and huge hugs to you all

Sarah xx

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Sarah~

I'm glad you brought up the free Safety App BeyondNow, thank you, it's something I've had for a long time now.

The fact you are talking about updating the App due to the virus does remind me of a couple of things I thought I'd mention.

The first is that - as many here would know - it is very hard to tell someone else you are self-harming or thinking of taking your life, so hard in fact many don't ever say (I never did for years). Not a good thing.

BeyondNow really does need two people to help fill it in the most effective way. Some thngs are easy, such as Section 7 about who to contact in an emergency (Professional Links) , however others like Section 5 are harder.

I found when I was down I could not think of anything I enjoyed or anyone I wanted to talk with. My partner - who knew me very well - was able to make all sorts of suggestions, and I found she was right and they were good ideas.

So asking someone who knows you to help you fill BeyondNow in not only makes BeyondNow more effective but is a very good way of starting off a conversation where you can explain how you have been feeling. It also gives the person you are telling a feeling they are helping and contributing. (They might well have been worrying anyway and this could come as a relief)

The other thing is BeyondNow is not a static thing, it needs to have the contents change as you do. If you start to dislike a song, you replace it, if a friend is no longer available then you might want to put someone else in, things like that.

My partner knows what helps, and filling in the App while discussing things with me helped us both.

Croix

Aaronsis
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey Croix

Thank you for sharing and you are certainly right in that mostly those who are considering suicide or who are hurting themselves are not talking to others, I think that is why the BeyondNow app is so wonderful, for a few reasons, 1. It can create the conversation with another person. That by reaching out to another person to help put some safety nets into their app, it does also create the connection with a real person to create security and also support. 2. It is as you said a fluid tool in that as your needs change so would the need to update the app and the things that you need in your darkest times.

I am so very privileged that people are on here sharing some of the most sensitive and personal times in their lives, that they can open up and share what works and also just as importantly what does not work, which is why I wanted to start this thread. I want to learn and to be able to offer help, from the help and ideas of others so that together we can support each other.

You are so very lucky to have the support of your partner who knows you so very very well to be able to call on hand the tools she needs to help you, I wish everyone had someone so wonderful in their lives.

Hugs

Sarah xx

Aaronsis
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey everyone

I just wanted to jump on this thread as I have learnt something over the past few days.....so thought it could help here and even prove to be something people could update their BeyondNow apps with or keep in your bag of tricks for when times are so very dark.

See my daughter spends her life it seems on this app called Tik Tok, and while I never understood and I saw no sense in it....COVID-19 had introduced me to new ways to entertain myself...so I got the app.

I am sure you are familiar with it but if not....I can hand on heart say I am addicted. I noticed while I was scrolling through people dancing and people doing lip syncs and people making their pets do funny things, that I had no concept of time, I was totally consumed and there was NOTHING else taking up my thoughts....I thought that this could be a wonderful distraction for people in their time of need and when they are feeling so very bad.

Interestingly enough I also came across some people posting their anxiety attacks while trying to dance through it, while crying or shaking and sharing this very personal time. Not only did I think of them as so very courageous to be sharing such a personal and painful time, but the fact that it did help and also mostly....I could see it in real life. I am learning what anxiety can actually look like, so the way these people are actually helping me, to help others and give some tangible and useful advice is actually priceless...so thank you to those Tik Toker's....

Hug hugs all and stay well and mostly stay safe...

Love to hear if you have any new ideas for your safety though this time.

Sarah xxxx