FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I don't want to kill myself, but I want to die.

Bubble44
Community Member

(For the record I don't intend to kill myself, I don't have any specific plans on that and I am in a safe place)

I'm tired. I'm so tired. I've fought so hard, and for so long. My family abused me, so I found friends. That was incredibly difficult to achieve as I was crawling out of a pit of depression. Then after all that, I discovered I was worth nothing to people who meant everything to me. One of my friends tried to hurt someone and did specific things to ruin my life specifically (I found out about both things at the same time. I didn't just draw the line when he turned on me). My 'friends' admitted he was entirely in the wrong, then cut me out of their lives. You'd think I murdered someone. But nope. I'm just me. Apparently being an introvert struggling with depression and loneliness is worse than what they did.

Everywhere I go I wonder, will people tolerate me, or will they hate me? I've left two jobs because I was treated like a leper. In one of them - I know it sounds arrogant but it's the truth - I was single handedly keeping the department going but my boss and most people there hated me. Someone refuses to do work for 6 hours? No problem. My desk is untidy? Time to treat me like shit. Because I'm not a likeable person. Doesn't matter what I do. I've settled at my current job because I'm tolerated. They're nice people, and easy to work with. They don't want to be around me though. They always hesitate to invite me to things try to avoid it entirely. And if I'm there, I'm treated like a piece of furniture. No one wants to talk to me. And before people say "oh you've just got to work on getting better at talking to people and being more charismatic" or something, I did that. I already did it. And it didn't matter.

I've given up on having a partner too. I only even had my first girlfriend at 21. The only girls who are ever interested in me either have low self esteem and feel like they have no choice but to settle on me, or they've had their own mental issues and have learned not to judge. To the rest, I'm weak. I'm a thing. To everyone really.

I'm tired. I've had enough. And I'm not religious. I know there's no happy place waiting for me after death. And I still want to die. I just don't want to be in pain anymore. I tried. I fought. I gave it everything I had. And I lost.

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hi Bubble44,

Thank you for letting us know that you're currently in a safe place. We are sorry to hear that you are tired and have had enough. We understand how awful this must feel for you, especially after all you've been through. We just want to remind you that you never have to go through this alone, and support is always here for you.

We have also reached out to you privately to see how we can support you and to also check in with you. However, if you would like to talk to someone, the Beyond Blue Support Service is available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 1pm-12am AEST on our website: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport  One of our friendly counsellors will be able to talk through these feelings with you and can offer support, advice and referrals.

We also strongly urge that in overwhelming moments you get in touch with our friends at Lifeline (13 11 14) or the Suicide Call Back Service (1300 659 467).

We hope that you will find some comfort here on the forums. Please feel free to keep reaching out here on your thread whenever you feel up to it.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Bubble44~

I read your other post at:

Forums / Depression / What should I do now that I've completely given up?

And am very sorry things have not improved for you. I'm also horrified at the abuse you received when you were younger, with the fact it was those who you shuld have been able to look to for support and protection that caused it.

In a very real way you were injured, and that has colored your life ever since. I'm not saying people may not have behaved badly, but your ability to cope with it must have reduced a lot.

Do you mind if I ask if you have disclosed your experiences from your youth to a medical team and receive therapy? Or have you tried to keep this to yourself - as many do. I had a different set of experiences and tried to keep them hidden for far too long, making them harder to treat. I'm glad I eventually sought help and am unimaginably better now (something I simply would not have believed possible.

Do you mind if I suggest that like me (if you are not doing so now) you seek medical help. A simple visit to a GP can be a start.

Please let me know what you think

Croix