FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety and medication

1SAD1
Community Member

Hi everyone,

Since being put on an anxiety medication 4 years ago for depression, I have developed severe anxiety, I never suffered from anxiety before this and was able to cope with my depression by wearing what I describe as a mask, I had a stable job that i excelled at and had a wide network of friends. While being on this medication I have resigned from my job of 14 years and left my marriage and have no friends left, I self isolate at home with my dogs and only leave when I absolutely have to, even then I take the path of least resistance, I now suffer from insomnia with never ending ruminating thoughts, in all honesty I'm exhausted and so lonely. My home is a safe haven where I don’t have to fake anything, but it is a catch 22, the more I isolate the more I feel disconnected from the world, even putting the rubbish bin out terrifies me in case a neighbour sees me and what’s to have a chat so I put the bin out at 9pm well after my neighbours have. I was never this person that I am today I loved life and spoke to everyone and anything, to people who knew me back before taking medication would say that I was always full of life and always smiling and made people laugh and probably my energy was a bit overwhelming for people that didn’t know me. But now I just sit at home cocooned in a protective shell from the outside world feeling like anxiety is who I am and it is what I deserve. In all selfish when Covid hit I wasn’t concerned as self isolation is what I’m used to and thought to myself this is what I deal with everyday and in a way I was happy that other people had to do what I deal with everyday, selfish isn’t it. I have tried to speak to my psychiatrist about changing my meds but he is so dismissive and thinks it’s just me, I have tried slowly tapering of this medication and then developed suicidal thoughts, in all honesty I’m at the end of my tether, I have no friends no support and a psychiatrist that thinks he knows best, has anyone else experienced severe side effects from taking anxiety medication? If you have my heart goes out to you.

12 Replies 12

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello 1SAD1

Thankyou for being a part of Beyond Blue.....I understand your anxiety levels and they are horrible to have...I used to have chronic anxiety for a very long time..Just from my own experience I hope this is helpful!

• The meds are never a fix all as they only work with ongoing visits to our GP or therapist
  • If our anxiety impacts on our ability to function on a daily basis...meds/counselling are an important part of our recovery
  • Using Dr Google is best avoided as our symptoms can increase by reading so many conflicting opinions

Im sorry for the loss of your best friend GUCCI

Thanks so much for having the courage to be a part of the forum family...There are many gentle people on the forums that can be here for you 🙂

we are listening

Paul

Great post Paul but I don't agree the medication "only works" with ongoing visits to GP or therapist.

In my experience, sometimes they simply don't wotk regardless.

But that has just been my experience with medications and eveyone has to find what is best for them.

Outside that fantastic post.

Hi Chris

no worries at all....I did mention 'Just from my own experience' in my post above 🙂

This is 1SAD1's thread topic Chris....You are always welcome to post to me on my own thread topic(s) "'Do you like Yourself"....or "Mindfulness what is It"....just enter one of these thread topics in the search bar above and we can can catch up...or do you have a thread topic I can post on?

Thanks for the kind post Chris 🙂

my kindest

Paul