FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

*Trigger warning* Eating for Health and Wellness

Guest_1055
Community Member

I have been struggling eating and eating healthy foods over the last couple of weeks. I really do not want to go back further to how I use to eat, that is eating junk food, takeaways, copious amounts of chocolate, processed junk and comfort eating.

Finding it challenging to stay motivated to actually prepare what I know helps me feel better mentally, emotionally and physically. Plus I have been feeling overwhelmed with other stuff happening in my life, which somehow makes it more challenging. The old unhealthy comfort eating thing is coming back. And I think I am getting concerned and scared about that. I so much do not want to go back to how I use to be. I was so sick. Plus I now have some physical things not right in my body , so I need to be more careful and mindful of what I eat. ( Pre cancer cells , high blood pressure )

I was eating really well since Febuary of this year, it’s just the last couple of weeks I haven’t.

So I would like to use this thread to help me be accountable to Beyond Blue people. So like a diary where I can post and report what I eat. And also any healthy eating tips, motivating strategies to help eat better or anything related to healthy eating for our bodies including our mental health.

1,406 Replies 1,406

Guest_1055
Community Member

Drinking this smoothie that has kale, frozen strawberries, banana, flax seeds, coconut water and orange at the moment.

Also having a craving for chocolate so I am hoping this smoothie helps with this craving

Birdy77
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Dear Shell 😊

I am so happy to hear your adventurous spirit has been awakened!!

I can totally relate to becoming overwhelmed with sadness - it is those times that everything feels too hard, and having pre-prepared yummies in the fridge and freezer is so helpful. Sometimes when I'm overcome with sadness though, if I force myself into the kitchen and start making something, I can sometimes make myself a bit less sad, which does help. It cheers me up some, and I use it as a mindfulness exercise.

Although I'm not big on endorsing the big supermarkets, I must admit that my preferred tofu for a lot of recipes and particularly that recipe for the rice paper rolls is the coles brand "hard" tofu. Otherwise any Firm, Extra Firm or Hard tofu will do for that recipe. I use Trident sweet chilli sauce and niulife liquid coconut aminos.

I just made a fresh batch of the rice paper rolls, I added a piece of silverbeet leaf to each roll as well as some lemongrass, the rolls have a lovely fresh green look to them through the translucent paper. Pretty 😍.

So I now have a fridge full hummous, beetroot dip and veg sticks, plus a box full of rice paper rolls (some of them "didn't quite make it" to the fridge 😶).

If you'd like to try making tofu ricotta, the recipe I base mine on comes from a blog called "create mindfully" I think she has a search function, otherwise I'm happy to share any recipes with you.

I like to use silken tofu in soups and curries to boost the protein. I made a scrummy cream of mushroom soup last week using the silken tofu, it tasted so rich and creamy you'd never know it was vegan.

I also love to make bliss balls and usually have a stash in the freezer. I actually made some on the weekend for my neighbour who is unwell and this time I added minced carrot to the mix, it gave them a really nicely different texture, plus added veg and fibre.

Your kale smoothie sounded super-dooper healthy, I hope it helped with your cravings.

Have a happy, healthy afternoon Shell 😊

🌻birdy

Hey Shells and all just tagging ☺

Good on you for a good thread hun 👍

I am also tagging. Loving this beautifully raw and honest thread. Will add in too when I have some more time. You gals are inspiring with what u put into your bodies. Claps from me .

Love MMx

Yeah I think the smoothie helped with the craving. Plus some sultanas I ate as well.

I actually got invited out to lunch today to a organic mostly vegan cafe. And guess what I ate? Well it was on the menu and it was in my thoughts. Anyway it was scrambled tofu with red onion and spinach stired through it. It was served on sour dough toast. I quite liked the taste and polished of the whole plate of it. Besides the taste of the vegetables, I could not pick the flavour. But it was good all the same.

Thanks for telling me the brand. When I go food shopping next I will get some.

Good on you for having a healthy stash of food in your fridge like that. Bliss balls with carrot.. think I have seen a recipe somewhere for that. Properly someone’s website. I really do have a lot of recipes actually. I am a recipe collector. Forks over knives is a good one too. As is the one ingredient chef. I feel good magazine is good to.

Oh I like mushroom soup, yum. Creamy cauliflower soup is the last soup I made. I would have never thought to use tofu for the creaminess. Sometimes I will use soaked raw cashews or bonsoy. Also yummy.

I shall have a look at the blog you mentioned . Created mindfully and see what’s on there.

And I can sort of imagine what your rolls look like. So fresh.

Guest_1055
Community Member
Hello DB and MM!

Guest_1055
Community Member

The time is almost 4pm and no junk and processed food today. Yah!

Food was a bowl of fresh cherries. For lunch I made a salad that consisted of 3 handfuls of mixed green leaves. Some shredded purple cabbage, some lentils sort of scattered through it. With a dressing of tamari, vinegar, maple syrup and sesame oil( oil not whole food though). Also I have been experimenting with making oven fried chips. So I had some of those along with the salad.

I had cravings for chocolate, ice coffee ( I saw a man scooping the cream off from the top of his chilled drink at the beach yesterday). And cravings for hot oil fried takeaway chips today. Hence why I made my own.

So Saturday was the last day I ate junk. So on day 3.

Guest_1055
Community Member

I am having strong chocolate and sugar cravings at the moment. So sitting here eating sweet sultanas and drinking this chocolate milk I just made.

Chocolate milk has: bonsoy soy milk, cacao powder, coconut sugar and vanilla.

I have hope this will help.

Having detox withdrawal symptoms of watery eyes, sniffle, sleepy, tired and a bit of a flat feeling. No headache today but a little foggy in the head.

Guest_1055
Community Member

Yah no junk today!

Ate out - udon noodles with broccoli, onion, tofu ( which I liked) zucchini, capsicum with a tamari type sauce.

2 iced chocolates like the one above

cherries, grapes, sultanas,

homemade oven chips with tomato sauce

Guest_1055
Community Member

Yah yah!

No junk food and no processed food today.