FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Three self-care things you did today!

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

We can do it BBers, we can do self-care.

Sleepy21 pointed out research that shows self-care REALLY helps!

Please share what you do for self-care so we can get inspiration, ideas and motivation to do it too.

Best wishes
EM

1,654 Replies 1,654

Hi all,

Sbella, no pressure, I was just curious. As long as you enjoyed painting, doesn't matter what paints you used. 🙂

Thanks, I found the exercise surprisingly fun - it's freeing, not trying to be good and just doing it. I do agree competition and profit have become too enmeshed in how we think of art (and pretty much everything, really). Whenever we show a little interest in or talent with something, it's amazing how quickly people start to push us to make it a side hustle. What could more quickly suck the joy out of a thing than tying our work to money or the judgements of strangers? Not everything is about money.

I do switch things up a lot with my art - having ADHD I have a head full of ideas and want to try everything. Of course that also means a bunch of unfinished projects, too. I guess with my more polished art I lean toward landscapes and nature, with my doodling I like to draw cartoons - a lot of those touch on my hobby of Warhammer 40K.

EM, I love that you're including some creativity in your work, I bet that's really good for your clients. Really glad our art chatter could give you some inspiration. 🙂

My self-cares:

1) Ordered some good coffee instead of the supermarket stuff. Not actually that different in price - pretty different in quality!

2) Got myself a game I've wanted for ages, while it was on special. Maybe not the most responsible use of money right now, but I'll get many hours of enjoyment out of it.

3) LM and I tweaked our schedule to allow for some us time and rest. Really needed it.

Blue.

Hey Blue, We'll see how it goes on Monday and I'll definitely let you know! 
Your art prowess seems wide and varied Blue, go you! (That's the first time I've ever written prowess lol). 

I know you'll be impressed, I decided to use unwanted nail polish to paint my new Buddha garden statue I got as a gift this week. He's GORGEOUS! It's going to take me a lot more time than I thought but it's been fun and relaxing too. Gave me an activity to distract me from the texts I don't want to answer on my Saturday night lol. 

My self cares today: 
~ spending time being creative 
~ spending time in my garden

~ spending time with my pets. 
Love EM

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

New members are always VERY welcome to join in! 

My 3 self-cares today: 
~ slept in! wow, that was awesome lol
~ planned some dinners ahead of time
~ bought HEALTHY food for us all, yeah me included lol, 
Love EM

Blue,

Me too, my head is constantly swimming with ideas and that tends to manifest into many unfinished projects and pieces. Landscapes and natures are fantastic to paint, and so are cartoons/characters in general. Do you like to create characters or do you tend to draw pre-existing ones?

Ecomama, 

Art is a fantastic way to connect with people, I love that. 

Did a lot of self-care things today but the highlights were:

1. Went for a beach walk
  2. Tried to rewrite a chapter of my story
  3. Journalling

SB

Looking forward to hearing how Monday goes, EM. Nice use of the word prowess. I realise I don't usually write it either, though I've used it in conversation a bit. Love that you painted your Buddha statue with unwanted nail polish. Wonderfully novel idea. Makes me really happy to see you doing something fun and creative instead of something you didn't want to be doing. Love it.

My self cares:

1) Lunch with my friend.

2) Some quality time with LM after.

3) About to play a game for a bit.

Blue.

Sbella, looks like we were posting at the same time. Nothing wrong with having some unfinished pieces around, as long as you're enjoying what you're working on. What are your favourite things to paint or draw? So far I've made characters based on known archetypes, like Space Marines and Tech Priests from the 40K universe. Not wholly unique but not without some original aspects, either. I've combined some ideas, like drawing a Tech Priest as a Magic: the Gathering monster on a card (as Magic is a card game, I emulated the card style). Silly, but fun.

Cool to see you write as well. I used to, as a younger Blue. Have done a few mini projects since. Great that you're working on a story.

Aha Blue, it was a novel idea to use our seldom used nail polishes to paint my Buddha lol! I have no idea how I came to that... perhaps it was that music video featuring the magnificent Buddha all painted. Funnily, we have SO many of those bright colours in nail polish. Win super WIN lol. 
It takes a while to dry, so I can only do one section at a time which needs multiple colours... then I can't move him because the polish will run. I've done a little bit for 3 days now, it's FUN! 
He looks VERY fanceee lol. 

Oh yeah my Monday plans for that group had to be postponed as we had a few crises I had to manage. 
Stay tuned lol. 

My 3 self cares today:
~ gave a gift to a young person I supported last year thru Police investigation stuff... she was just hanging on then, now she's doing much better, (yes that's self care for me!)
~ painted my Buddha 
~ made a nutritious dinner. 
Love EM

EM, doesn't matter where the idea came from, glad you're having fun! I bet he looks great. Duly noted about the Monday plans, staying tuned. 🙂

My self cares:

1) Played a game.

2) Got most of the shopping wiped up and put away. It's been there a while, too much else to do.

3) Replaced some stuff that really needed replacing, feels good to have that done. One of the things was pillows, slept a lot better last night.

Blue.

Hey Blue, how on earth could we both be so attuned? 
I also threw some pillows out lolol... for the Minimalism Thread I guess... have not replaced them. We already had enough! 
Well done on the purchases. 

My 3 self cares: 
~ dug deep to bolster my vulnerability to be courageous and went in to the RE Agents to complain about the new tenants. I really hate complaining about ppl, it's not in my nature... but boundaries are boundaries! They were wonderful. 
~ spoke up to my bosses (more boundaries lol - yah it's a THEME!) about a segment of my day that's being encroached upon. They understood, well to my face anyway lol. 
~ organised some things ahead of time, things I was anxious about. SO GLAD I DID because when consulting others, some actions weren't required yay! 

Love EM

You're on my wavelength, EM. 🙂 I haven't ditched the old pillows, yet. Wanted to use the new ones a few nights and make sure they were good, first. Pillows are a tricky thing to get right. Funny how the dirt cheap ones have been so much better than the expensive, fancy ones we tried. Also, great work with protecting your boundaries. Hope both the RE situation and work get sorted out soon.

My self cares:

1) Attended an appointment for "coaching" with navigating how to get practical help as a carer, be it govt. assistance or services provided privately.

2) Got myself a coffee between running errands. Just sat by myself, had a quiet minute and messaged a few old work chums to tell them I got married.

3) Went for a walk in the wetlands before I got home. Saw lots of birds, and an array of flowers beginning to open as Winter comes to a close. Really needed that - talked to LM tonight about planning so I can do a bit more of that for my mental and physical health, and about getting him out in nature too in a way that he can manage with his health.

Blue.