FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

The power of acceptance

Lillith_E
Community Member
Firstly I want to send big love to everyone here. Seeking support, guidance and facing the monsters of mental illness for yourself and loved ones, takes great bravery. Please allow yourself a sincere acknowledgement of this.

I am sharing today during a space of pain, transition and working through acceptance.
My journey with mental illness started through DNA, continued on through illness and pain, moving to self discovery/healing and has lead me to a place where I now support others in a Mental health support role.

The purpose and pride I feel in my job is something that I hold close to my heart and identity.
And it is with great sadness that I am faced with a heavy decision to take a step backwards.

Along with mental illness (which I have managed through years of therapy/support and medication) I also have chronic illness (Fibromyalgia and Ankylosing spondolytis) due to the unpredictable nature of these illnesses and a decline in my health - I feel I may have to step down from my roll as a support worker, and engage in work that does not require me to be responsible for the well-being of others.

I take great pride in striving to be an exceptional worker, and a light in the lives of those who need it most. But with the instability my health is now presenting, I no longer feel I can provide the kind of support my clients deserve.

I guess I am posting, seeking support.
And perhaps sharing from others who have experienced this transition?

I am soon to begin sessions with a psychiatrist to work through the acceptance of living with these illnesses and taking a step back from a role that gives my life a sense of great meaning.

2 Replies 2

demonblaster
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi there Lillith E and all reading ☺

Welcome darl to the forums.
Here's such a great place as you kindly mentioned about the people.
So many struggling and reaching out to others. People are so kind and caring.

You poor lady you really are doing hard yards aren't you.
Not only do you have hard physical illnesses and mental despair with those but coming to terms with not working at what you love by the sounds would be very difficult.

I think from the sounds of your situation you've made a good decision to look after your health and come to terms with that which takes time. It's a new adjustment in your life.

I'm wondering if down the track depending of course on your health and how you go with a change of work do you think you might be interested in volunteer work in the same field which could help maybe close that void.
You also depending on health could have flexibility with the times you do it.

I have some members of family that have fybromyalgia it's very hard and painful to my understanding.
I'm sorry you have this condition.
There seems to be a few other conditions connected including memory.
I think they do have some good medication that can ease pain and symptoms which I hope happens for you.
I don't know much about the latter but will have a squiz on it.

I'll be interested hearing how you get on if you're wanting to share again.
Thank you for opening up 😊
Best to you ⚘

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Lillith E, a warm welcome and thanks DB for replying to an unfortunate situation and always ask ourselves 'why does this have to happen'.

You are both passionate about the welfare of others just as many people are, but when we hear of your own suffering and how it has affected you then it only empathises the sadness we feel for you.

There comes a time when we need to realise that we have to start looking after ourselves, the help you've provided to so many others would be so much appreciated, I'm sure all they would want is for you to get the help you need and would want to help you in anyway possible.

Please let us know how you get on.

Best wishes.

Geoff.