FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Store Your Happy Memories Here:

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear All~

What this place is for:
This thread is a tool, a resource, and also I guess a dash of entertainment.

I’ve found that when life is grim that sometimes thoughts of past happiness can create a chink of light in the grey overwhelming press of down. They can help occupy the mind with lighter reflections.

With that in view I invite people to set down a brief passage describing some happy event they look back to with fondness and peace.

They - and others too - can then return to it when they feel the need to glean a little warmth.

It is not a place for gloomy or dire tales, those can go elsewhere.

What to do:
Just set out, as simply as you like, your recollection of some past experience that means something good to you, something you enjoyed, something from safe times.

It can be, like my story below, anything – from an account of visiting grandparents to simply cooking and eating a melted-cheese sandwich in a favorite kitchen – you get to choose.

How to do it:
Write. Write enough so someone else can feel the mood, know what happened, find the goodness. (stop at 2,500 characters please!)

Grammar, syntax, spelling, punctuation are not compulsory, just write as you can – the only important thing is the content - not literary merit. Short or long - it does not matter.

I hope you enjoy, contribute and find a little distraction here when you need it.

Croix

987 Replies 987

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

So nice to read everyone's happy memories, I'm getting second-hand serotonin.

I'd like to add my own happy memory from the other night. I have a group of friends at uni, and we went to see one of our friend's theatre performances then played pool and got dessert at a cute little restaurant afterwards. It was such a good night and it made me really happy. I like spontaneous things like that, they end up being some of the greatest and most fond memories.

SB

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hahaha, sbella, 'second-had serotonin' - I love it! I only hope no one ever discovers any reason it would be at all harmful! 😺

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear All~

I too like very much like "second-had serotonin", it sounds most authoritative, much better that "Laughter is the best medicine"*

*Taken from my main medical journal, the Reader's Digest:)

-C (who thoroughly enjoyed the puppy's tale/tail?)

Moonstruck
Community Member

Good morning Croix

Are you feeling wise and analytical today, oh gentle Walrus? Why do you suppose I can't remember any of my happy memories to relate on here? I know there were some...or perhaps there weren't! I can sort of fleetingly recall overwhelming moments and happenings but to write them down here would be nigh on impossible. { and it's not the writing part, I am a good writer)....they flash into my mind but I have no desire to go any further... perhaps I would relive them so vividly I would break into pieces that it is "Just a Memory". Gone with the Wind.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Moon~

Happy memories can be modest things, for example how you felt when your ex-boss made contact and you know inside you could deal with his demanding ways.

They to not have to be the real big things from the past, after all they may conjure up images of loss.

What do you think?

Croix

Moonstruck
Community Member

This sort of thing Croix?

One day aged about 6 or so I had a sick day off school and when my Dad had morning tea break...(or smoko as some Aussies used to call it) ..he was a canefarmer and usually spent all day in the field. I remember him sitting on my bed playing cards with me.

I was so happy to have him all to myself for such a long time. I wished I could stay home and have smoko with him every day!

(How did I do Croix?)

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Moon~

10 out of 10 🙂

(stands up)

Bravissimo!

Seriously that was exactly right - and I'm happy you were able to remember something so lovely.

Croix

Hello Moonstruck,

That memory of playing cards with your dad was very sweet. It was a lovely connection between the two of you. I would love to remember moments like that.

Maybe one is when my father was trying (very hard) to teach me how to tie my shoes. He sat on the floor behind me, so as to , I pressume, show me from my perspective, how to tie the laces. He was patiently persistant that day (or night?), giving his full attention to me & this task. I'm not sure how old I was. I'm thinking, 5yrs.

Sometimes I remember, like a short film clip, a small fragment of a much longer film, because something I heard, saw, read, an association, fleeting sometimes, but I feel there is a memory. It's hard to stop & realise what these snippets are about. Even if I can't grasp them, I am assured, these memories are there, so I know there were happy times, even if I don't recall them very well.

mmMekitty

I agree that it is the simple things were we feel a connection to loved ones that is priceless. I was very close to my dad and from about 11 I insisted on him waking me each morning at 6am so I could have breakfast with him while mum and my siblings slept. We would enjoy the time just talking as we ate. One time we had an argument about miniskirts which I thought were great because they were the fashion but dad disagreed and explained his reasons why they attracted the wrong attention and gave the wrong message. Although we disagreed strongly it remains a good memory because my dad listened to me and explained why he thought the way he did rather than just shutting me down. It was experiences like that the gave me the confidence to express my opinions and discuss issues knowing he would listen and anything he said was given out of love and concern rather than a desire to dominate me i any way

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Elizabeth~

Wow! That is a wonderful story, not only the times you had, just you and your dad, but how his taking the time and patience to make explanations has influenced you so much and made you as you are.

I'm afraid my parents were the "Do it becuse we say so" types, not helpful except to serve as an example of what not to do when I became a parent.

Croix