FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Prioritising when multiple problems emerge

Guest_95403700
Community Member

Hi everyone! Does anyone else feel like the whole world has turned to poo? In the past four years I’ve experienced workplace trauma, sexual assault and drifted apart from friends who have socially retreated for a number of reasons (mostly the times we’re living in and I’ve sort of done the same thing!). I’m also facing housing issues and am now going through a bunch of stress with a major restructure at work which is becoming combative and draining. Having escaped a toxic work situation I’m worried about going down the same track. On top of all of this I’ve been contacted by a recruiter and am being interviewed for a big job interstate. Old me would have been super excited about the change and jumped at it, but it feels too hard and I haven’t had the headspace to prepare. The thought of leaving my very small support network (mostly family) also upsets me but I know deep down that I need to find a job before things get really bad. I adore my team but we’ll probably be disbanded anyway. Though, I don’t know this for sure yet. I should add that this new job would be a significant payrise and would be amazing for my CV and future. Due to all of the above, I’m suffering with anxiety and the occasional bout of depression, which has affected my confidence as well as my health. I’ve stacked on weight and am feeling it. How do I wade through all of this and prioritise in order to protect my wellbeing? Does anyone have journal prompts or tools they use when feeling overwhelmed? I’m very action oriented and pretty pragmatic but this is a lot! I’ve tried medication and counselling but haven’t had much luck. I feel really stuck and worry about my health mainly. My heart is often raising and I’m not moving my body or taking good care with my nutrition. It kind of feels like I’m in freeze mode. I’m single, female and in my 40s, living alone and given up on dating. Apologies for the lengthy post!

2 Replies 2

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

These lulls in life can be challenging  but I see clearly from my position how successful you have been and are even now yet living in your life you might not see that during these times. There is a couple of thought patterns that IMO need changing and those changes are internal and personal goals. 

Clearly your last workplace was toxic and rather than remain in it you took the courageous decision to hold your head up high. That deserve self praise. Patting yourself on the back is very much a part of survival. You acknowledge that you would normally be excited with a job prospect but your life has fallen into a hold and thats understandable. Knowing you'd normally be enthusiastic is a step towards recovery. Spreading your wings interstate means losing your physical contact with loving family but you will only be a phone call away. Anything could happen in a new city. They'll be places to see, options of other sites to visit.

I'd most definitely consider visiting your GP, his input is important at this time. 

As for tools to help you get by I have a few threads below that might help. You only need to read the first post of each. I hope they help you and reply anytime in those threads or here.

https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/anxiety/anxiety-how-l-eliminated-it/td-p/183873

https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/anxiety/worry-worry-worry/td-p/87808

https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/staying-well/depression-distraction-and-variety/td-p/275790

https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/staying-well/switching-mindsets/td-p/274532

https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/staying-well/30-minutes-can-change-your-life/td-p/154525

TonyWK

BlueLily
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi there,

Sorry to hear that you are going though such an overwhelming time. Your emotions sort of resemble how I feel at times. 

Over the years I have learnt that when my world has turned to poo, I should let go of few things and be a little bit selfish to take care of myself. For example I let myself slack by letting go of few responsibilities and even cooking then instead eating out to allow more time for myself. Then I can use that time for massages or take a small break/holiday. And stop worrying about my team or work for a short period of time and think about my own future and health.

Next thing I try to do is focus on positives rather than negatives going on in my life. You seem to have a rare job opportunity that I'm sure not many people would be lucky or qualified to achieve. It will potentially solve your workplace issues, which sounds very toxic as white knight mentioned. Not to mention that it will also solve your housing issue when you travel interstate and move out. A change in your life might exactly be what you need right now. I know lot of friends who travel interstate for work on a weekly basis while also taking care of family and kids. You will always be few hours of a flight away when ever you need to visit your loving family.

Hope you find some tips on this forum. Good luck with the interview!