FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Night Owls (for those awake late and can't sleep)

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear All
The purpose of this thread is as a meeting point for those that can’t sleep and it is late (I.E. AFTER midnight.)

It can be a useful space for users to share their issues with insomnia as well as coping strategies. It can also be a general space for users to converse and support one another throughout a difficult night.

Please note – for those that are just bored or lonely we already have a place - the BB Café, which I recommend instead of here

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/bb-social-zone/the-bb-cafe

Croix

563 Replies 563

Guest_4643
Community Member
Hi everyone, if there's anybody around who can't sleep like me. I'll be awake for a while if anyone feels like chatting. No pressure for anyone to do so though of course.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear mb20lover~

A sleep clinic (as far as my experience goes is a specialized area of a hospital or private premises, normally supervise by a doctor. You go to bed in a comfortable room that does have a fair amout of technical gear in it and an observation window.

The idea is to see if the way you move in sleep (if you do actually fall asleep) can give clues as to why you do keep awake.

This can be a very wide range of hings, You mentioned sleep apnea, which I believe could be is one of the causes.

My own reasons for not sleeping are pain and discomfort from a spinal condition together with anxiety. Unless I can get to sleep straight away I know it will be hours before I do and get up and read a book and have cocoa (or write a post:).

Croix

Guest_4643
Community Member

Hey Croix, thanks for the explanation.

I'm sorry to hear about your pain.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear mb20lover

You said your psych mentioned an anti-nighmare sleep promoting medication. I can't take these (I have PTSD and nightmares still -though they are not as strong any more) however it dropped my blood pressure too low even on a minimal dose.

I'm told that happens with some people. I've also heard others get reasonable results. I'm not sure exactly how many different ones there are are in this category. I think it would be a matter of careful discussion wiht your medical team.

If I have a nightmare I get up (wife wakes me or I wake up myself) , make a hot drink and read a calming book (fiction fantasy), then try again. Takes a long time.

Croix

Guest_4643
Community Member

Hey Croix.

Yeah I've discussed this with my Psychiatrist and GP. I have had meds I've taken at night (antidepressants) that have made me dizzy also, some days I was more dizzy than others and then it lead into the next day. So I'm worried about the blood pressure side of things.

demonblaster
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi peeps just tagging.

Thx Mr Croixy ☺

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear mb20lover and all~

We have now been tagged by DB, a singular honor, please do not be surprised if we get inundated with emoji and incomprehensible NZeze 🙂

mb20lover~

Can I ask apart from medication what strategies you use to try to make things bearable when it looks like you are going to be up most of the night?

Croix (who is always willing to learn:)

Guest_4643
Community Member

Hey Croix, and hey demonblaster, and others here of course.

Croix - I usually just listen to music, watch videos (I try to find funny ones or lately I'm looking at colouring book flip throughs to see if I want to buy them, if I can find them) which have relaxing music or just someone talking, stuff like that. Or sometimes I come on here, play my colour by numbers app or word search app on my iPad. That's about it. Nothing really helps. I struggle with self care.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear mb20lover~

There has been a lot of people who have taken to intricate coloring in books for relaxation, I think it started with children but becuse used by adult. Many clinical settings will provide them. They can take enough concentration to take you mind away from daily troubles and anxieties without being in the least demanding. So if you can find any give them a try

If you Google (note the spelling)

coloring in books for stress

you should not only find books but more detailed explanations of their effects. Using Google Images gives you lots of examples.

When I'm certain I will not sleep due to the day's events I stay up, if I'm not sure I go to bed and try my meds and relaxation exercises. If that works great. If however after an hour I'm still awake and ruminating I get up again. One of the reasons is I believe those circular thoughts based on anxiety get stronger if not interrupted and getting up again helps to do that.

Then I read, it is the most relaxing for me.

Croix

Guest_4643
Community Member

Hey Croix.

Colouring can be therapeutic at times, I have some colouring books and bought some more (waiting for those to arrive, hopefully some come tomorrow).

I have a short attention span though unfortunately so I get bored of things easily