FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Mindfulness: What Is It? (Even if you dont know please post so we can help grow the forums accordingly)

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Everybody

This is only the basic dictionary definition...

"Mindfulness is a state of active, open attention on the present. When you're mindful, you observe your thoughts and feelings from a distance without judging them good or bad. Instead of letting your life pass you by, mindfulness means living in the moment without judgement"

• Please be as blunt you wish....If you dont have an idea about mindfulness it would be great if you could let us know
  • If mindfulness hasnt worked/or is too broad a concept for you it would great if you can let us know your thoughts too
  • If mindfulness has helped you, please help others to help themselves by posting how you have embraced this mindset

It goes without saying that the forums are a judgement free zone and I really hope that everyone can jump in and have their say

Your input is highly valued no matter how you respond to this topic. There are no experts here...New Posters are Most Welcome!!

My Kindest Thoughts

Paul

1,355 Replies 1,355

Here is an example...

Let's say you're feeling anxious about an upcoming presentation at work. You might label your thoughts as "anxiety about presentation" or "worries about work."

By labeling your thoughts, you create some distance between yourself and the anxious thoughts. This can help you avoid getting caught up in a spiral of anxious thoughts and instead focus on taking action to prepare for the presentation, or simply let the thoughts pass by without judgment or attachment.

(disclaimer - no guarantees)

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi all 

My daughter told me something recently. Goes something like this;

Thoughts have no emotions,  they are just a thought.  They are nettal. WE attach emotions to the thoughts, whether it be positive or negative.  

Food for thought?

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey CMF

your daughter is spot on! Excellent food for thought CMF

A thought is harmless until we react to it (with an emotion)

Great post CMF and thankyou

Paul

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Thanks Paul for able to post a comment in these most difficult times for you.

Geoff.

Life Member.

BeautifulHorse
Community Member

Mindfulness to me is slowing down and taking notice of things, being aware of thoughts... It could be anything from noticing the birds to sitting down for a guided meditation. It can come in many forms... Sweeping, crocheting and kneading dough can be mindful.

Panicking at work and then wondering where the time went is not so mindful 🙂

I once decided I was going to complete a whole bunch of guided meditation sessions and I feel it has helped me become a more mindful person. Commuting to work is also very mindful for me as I walk quite a large part of the way and I spent the time quietly admiring my everyday environment. 

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Cmf
We have thought without emotion .? For me I think my thoughts come with emotions.

is there a difference between a statement and a thought. 
paul like Geoff I think it is helpful to post here.
That is very kind of you. 

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Quirky,

I agree. I feel my thoughts come with emotions - positive or negative. I do also have neutral thoughts. Example- I may have a thought about something I need to do. If I'm not looking forward to it ie medical appt, I may feel anxious. If it is say coffee with friends, I'll give it a happy emotion. I think what it means is that we attach the emotion depending on how we feel about that thought. Thoughts trigger emotions. I do agree, it is hard to separate the thought & emotion.

Cmf

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Thoughts and feelings are closely related. And the relationship goes both ways...

Our thoughts can influence how we feel and the intensity of those emotions. For example, negative thoughts can lead to negative feelings, while positive thoughts can lead to positive feelings.

Our feelings can also influence our thoughts. For example, feeling anxious can lead to negative thoughts.

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I've has a few days off work & time to myself. I've kept busy cleaning my daughter's room, painting her furniture. I then decided to paint my furniture & re decorate my room. I painted new wall hangings, changed my doona & some furniture.  I looks amazing.  Painting the furniture & wall hangings was tiring but rewarding.  It kept me focussed & in the zone. I live what I achieved & can't wait to do more.

Cmf

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Have I said what I did with my Hot Cross Bun? No matter, I can't recmember if I said.

I decided to sit in my room,in my comfy chair, & take ten minutes to eat my Hot cross Bun, focusing on evry nibble, each choc-chip, feeling the texture, smelling the bun,& it was wonderful, much more satisfying than if I'd gulped it down as per usual. So good, I did this again with the apple & cinnamon Hot Cross Bun I had too.

Doing my exercises, I am trying to notice the muscles, how my body feels as I stretch & bend, as I breathe harder - & of-course I notice the sweat, but as yet I'm not simply abl to notice that without judgement! I really don't like being sweaty.

It's also a difficult enviroment & my support worker is there too, & we're sometimes talking, so staying with the mindfulness stuff is very hard to do.

I'm not too concerned if thoughts come with feelings, or feelings come with thoughts. I'm more concerned with my own judgemental reactions to them, which can really lead to a terrible spiralling in upon themselves, distorting or crushing the original thought or feeling.

Just figuitively stepping back & watching can be a way to stop that piling up of thoughts & feelings about one thought or feeling.

I know know I tend play "what if..." when it's not helpful, so if I can stop & 'tick' that;s a thought or feeling, & leave it at that, I will feel so much better.

Hugzies everyone

mmMekitty