FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Mindfulness: What Is It? (Even if you dont know please post so we can help grow the forums accordingly)

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Everybody

This is only the basic dictionary definition...

"Mindfulness is a state of active, open attention on the present. When you're mindful, you observe your thoughts and feelings from a distance without judging them good or bad. Instead of letting your life pass you by, mindfulness means living in the moment without judgement"

• Please be as blunt you wish....If you dont have an idea about mindfulness it would be great if you could let us know
  • If mindfulness hasnt worked/or is too broad a concept for you it would great if you can let us know your thoughts too
  • If mindfulness has helped you, please help others to help themselves by posting how you have embraced this mindset

It goes without saying that the forums are a judgement free zone and I really hope that everyone can jump in and have their say

Your input is highly valued no matter how you respond to this topic. There are no experts here...New Posters are Most Welcome!!

My Kindest Thoughts

Paul

1,355 Replies 1,355

Hello everyone

I have just been reading some posts old and new and have found very interesting to see how different people interpret mindfulness and can make it work for them.

My plan is to simply practice my breathing and when I feel my own thoughts are overwhelming me to just focus on one thought or one object and to be in the moment.

I realise this is very easy for many people reading this but it isn’t for me so I am going to track my progress.

Hey Quirky,

Best of luck with that. Hope you manage to conquer mindfulness.

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dools

I will never conquer but I get so much advice that I should try so I am , ok have not started yet, it is only a plan!!

I can do plans but doing it is hard and often ends in frustration for mindfullness and. other tasks!,

Hey Quirky and all reading,

I'm sorry if my words above may seem a little rude, cynical and mocking. If so, then I was being judgemental of my own strengths, not those of others.

One step at a time right! The main thing is at least you have a plan! That is better than having no idea at all.

I do wish you well and hope you can find strategies that assist and help you.

I know I need to keep practising these types of things so they become second nature and are there to help me when I need them. I don't do that step so well!

So once again I wish you all the best and do so hope you find success, even if it is a little at a time!

Cheers from Dools

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Dools, Quirky and all...

The word mindfulness is another word for paying attention to what your doing and to concentrate on the job your doing when you’re doing it...

A job even sweeping a floor can be done mindfully (paying attention to what your doing)...instead of thinking of other things while sweeping the floor...I mean when sweeping your floor..look at the design of the floor, the amount of dirt, dust etc you’ve collected...the way the bristles of the broom moves with each sweep....Goes for everything we do..whether we are sitting outside, cleaning the bathroom, sweeping the floors, making our beds, having a shower, cooking and eating some food...reading, knitting, drawing.....While we do all these things, we need to only think very consciously about what we are doing and think of nothing else....by thinking on the job, hobby or sitting outside or whatever we are doing....putting our full attention on what we are doing at the time...That’s considered mindfulness, because our thoughts, attention are only on the thing we are doing at that particular moment in time....

I have learnt that it’s very much impossible for our minds to be able to think of 2 things at a time...Yes we can be sweeping while our minds are racing on different thoughts..that’s because we are not fully concentrating on sweeping the floor....We are just automatically sweeping it...So to turn those thoughts of..start thinking and being mindful and fully concentrate on the job you are doing....

Hoping everyone’s day is the best it can be..

My love, care and hugs to everyone reading or posting here..

Grandy..

Jstar49
Community Member

Hi all,

Yes! Agree Grandy, and you put it well.
I would add that involving all 5 (or 6) senses also helps to focus in the moment. By observing sounds, for eg. and I think you have commented before about that Grandy, listening to the birds whilst enjoying a cuppa.
smells. Although perhaps not whilst sweeping as it may be dusty!

Touch. The feel of the broom. The texture of the bristles making contact with the floor.
even rhythm I guess. I am reminded of karate kid- wax on, wax off!

all these things help anchor us in the moment.
the mind is tricky, and will try to convince me that I can do more, by rushing around. By doing one thing while thinking about another

I have come to the conclusion that this leads to dis-ease.

Cheers,

J*

Hello everyone,

I had my first experience of snow recently in my street.

I worked and looked at the snow and how it covered plants and trees and objects. I was in the moment despite the cold and felt calm.

Has any had extreme weather help them to concentrate, ?

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello everyone...🤗..

I feel really calm when it rains, I work and listen to it..thunderstorms that are active over the mountains in the not too far distance is beautiful to watch....

I read something today that made some sense to me..

If your constantly thinking of depressive thoughts....then in reality you are actually in a way meditating with them....So better to throw those thoughts out and meditate with positive thoughts....I know that it can be hard to do that..so why do we “meditate “ with our negative thoughts?

Kind thoughts beautiful people..

Grandy...

Hi everyone,

I think this is a very helpful thread.

I am on a journey to practice mindfulness, I have noticed that I have a bad habit of thinking ahead to the 'next thing'.

For example I'm at the movies enjoying what I'm watching and then during that I am already thinking about what the next plan is and the plan after that. I really want to learn how to be 'in the moment' and not have my mind fast forward all the time

hi missep

i reckon noticing that habit shows mindfulness. good stuff!