FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Irritability and impatience - how to stop it??

Jacq333
Community Member

When my anxiety and depression is high, I get extremely irritable and lash out about the smallest things such as traffic or simply someone not hearing me (not, not listening, not hearing).

My whole body feels tense, my insides feel like they are on fire and that I could just scream at someone.

when it subsides sometimes a day or 2 later I end up a wreck and cry a lot.

I know a big sleep helps calm me down too.

Does anyone else get this? How do you control it or stop it being so bad? I feel awful afterwards as I know I have snapped and shouted at people for no reason. I don't get violent thankfully.

Any tips would be great

6 Replies 6

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear Jacq333...

I am sorry your anxiety and depression makes you feel that way....

I agree that a big sleep does help....and also trying to have a regular bedtime, which will give you at least 6-8 hours sleep at night....

One thing you could try is to deep breathe when you start to feel irritable as well as..no matter where you are..is to look around you and see what you can see, feel, hear, smell and taste....I have several grounding boxes in my car and around my house that are my go to...when I need Grounding...On the “Grounding, what is it and how do we do it” thread their are some great suggestions for helping us ground ourselves, when our depression and anxiety starts to become very overwhelming for us....

I seem to go the other way with my anxiety and depression...I close up and want to hide away from everything and everyone...and cry a lot...Depression and anxiety effects everyone differently...

Maybe if you feel like it..,check out the Grounding thread...no pressure...I’m sure other beautiful members will call in and offer you some great suggestions...

Please, talk here anytime you feel up to it...Dear Jacq...we are here for you..

My kindest thoughts with my care..

Grandy..

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Jacq333,

I'm sorry you feel this way with your anxiety and depression, your not alone.

I recently started a new thread in anxiety its called " finding your inner calm" you could have a read of it if your interested.

I know its hard when we feel this way, I think the trick is getting to know when you are starting to feel this way and then put a strategy in place to re direct your attention, so you can find your inner calm before the anxiety and depression take hold in the moment.... it all takes practice.

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi welcome

You might find this link helpful

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/supermarket-shelves

TonyWK

Amanda2000
Community Member

Hi Jacq333,

Yes I can relate totally!

For me, I need to disengage myself from the trigger and then keep telling myself that the way I feel right now is just temporary. It will pass and I will be ok again.

Take care.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Jacq333, I know this may not or does not suit everybody and only a small percentage of people can relate to this, but in my old age, you learn that feeling like the way you are, can not help you overcome any of this, so you don't bother with it anymore.

I have been told many times by different people why doesn't something irritate me, well I don't have a definitive answer, but know that this may worry some people, while with others, it doesn't concern them.

Years ago when I was suffering from depression and what you have said, I would agree with you, but now as I've overcome this, tomorrow is another day.

I hope this doesn't upset anyone, but I do understand what you are saying.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

Jacq333
Community Member
Thank you everyone, I will definately look at those threads