FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hello New here And ADS suffer

Train_Rambler
Community Member

Hello I am new here and diagnosed as "High Functioning Autism"

Nothing more very off putting of never had this sort of stimming issues in the past like I experienced recently whist on tour on a public place!

I was caught stimming by rocking and back and forth and wobbling my head around a fairly bit....

Before it was only when I was enjoying my music, now it gone to another dimension! 

Nothing worse than a fellow passenger noticing me and later show to me how I was stimming  and later  asking me if I had being drinking!

I said coldly, " I being drinking tea, fizz and water...but not alcohol! Good try but no cigar!"

After that he back off!

A bit of myself, I am rail enthusiast and heavily involved in rail club a who love rail travel and capable of staying up days if I have to to get the full enjoyment off it.

People like me has being treated badly because of our odd mannerisms! 

I often have sensitivity issues and often wear muff to filter out noise around me and I hate storms! My dress is for the weather my travelling conditions and despite trying to fit I still stand out!

I tend to a loner due to and got bullied because of being different, but I deal the card I am dealt with the best I can.....

I spend my time chasing trains and dreaming of them a well a bit of music, but carefully selected to my past memories!

The stims are more intense now lately!

5 Replies 5

Eagle Ray
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi and welcome Train Rambler

It’s nice to hear your introduction about yourself. It’s hard when other people don’t understand stimming and make judgments about you. It would be so great if everyone understood it.

I have stimming too. I began suspecting I’m on the autism spectrum quite a few years ago now. Although I discussed it with a psychologist years ago I never got a formal diagnosis.

For me it involves flicking my hands. I find I’m doing it before I’m aware of it. I’ve always done it since a small child. Music can activate it for me too, but it’s also a form of self-regulation when I’m stressed.

It’s great to hear how you love trains. Have you been on a steam train before? My Dad really loved trains too. I suspect he was on the autism spectrum too as he had many traits.

The sensitivity issues are challenging, aren’t they! I went through a phase I was so sensitive I had to wear ear muffs too. I needed them to drive my car because of the engine noise and the sounds of other cars, especially trucks being the worst. My ears have improved a lot now.

It sounds like you cope well with a lot of things, including the experience of being bullied. It’s not easy having to deal with that. I think it’s really important to value yourself as a unique individual.

I’m interested how you link music you like with past memories. Do you remember things like the year you heard the music and connect it with associations from that time? That’s what happens for me.

It’s great to hear from you and happy to chat if you want to.

Hello Eagle Ray,

Good day to you too...sorry so late replying....

My link of music, very simple.....it relates to my childhood passions is which trains travel and my contacts that allow me develop a talent around them!

It goes back to the days where the old interstate trains reins the country, some are least 12-16 carriages long, excluding the rail motor and power van and locomotives pulling them!

This were the days where train travel was much more than going A-B! We had sleepers, lounge cars to sit down drink, talk with fellow travellers and much more....

I had had my sanctuary where time stood still, the Lounge Car! With my little recorded music carefully selected on various tapes....I live the moments...no one talked to me, but I didn't care....I'd sit there clocking the train!

And the it started from as I grew up with and I mainly listen my music and memorise the words and spent all night long partying alone in this special place living my dream like no tommrow!

As I grew those memories grew stronger with age!

Dear Train Rambler

I loved reading about your sanctuary of the Lounge Car where time stood still. You created a visual image for me of another time. How wonderful it would be to go back in time when trains were a primary mode of transport.

I wish a lot of country towns in Australia were still connected by train instead of only being accessible by car or bus. It’s a relaxing way to travel too, listening to the clickety-clack of the train.

I love how you connect your selected music with the experience of being on a train. There are so many songs about trains and they feature in classic movies. My Dad had a Johnny Cash record called Ride This Train. He also got to travel on The Flying Scotsman Locomotive when it came to Australia. I think that was in about 1988 or 1989.

Do you have books on trains too? It’s so nice to read about you living your dream!

Hello Eagle Ray,

yes I got lot of book on trains and railways!

most are very technical books on the safe working and finer details of train maintenance etc!

I love steam engines too oh yes do note most tracks are now continuous weld rail!

you can hear the difference and feel it by the riding qualities of the carriage!

based on you mentioned 3801 that is a NSW locomotive and railway which standard gauge!

That’s great you have lots of books on trains Train Rambler!

I didn’t know about most tracks being continuous welded rail now, so yes that would change the sound and feel different in the carriage. I realise this now when I think about travelling on urban trains. I have memories of being on a tourist railway as a kid that had the clickety clack of jointed rail.

After you mentioned 3801 I found a YouTube clip of the Flying Scotsman and 3801 leaving Sydney terminal in 1989.

I remember reading a book called The Tuning of the World that talked about sounds in the landscape throughout history. It described how the sounds of trains were once very significant in the landscape. They were one of the biggest sounds in rural landscapes. It described how British trains had a very different whistle to American trains, with the British ones being higher pitched and the American ones making a deep sound.

I was staying in a quiet rural town two years ago and I remember the main sound there was the grain train coming through. I quite liked hearing it. The town was otherwise very quiet as it was not on a major highway so the train sound really stood out.