FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Sophie_M
We recognise that many of us here in the community are feeling scared, worried and overwhelmed about Coronavirus (COVID19). 

As a result, we created this thread to allow people to come together here during those difficult times and encouraged those wanting to share or seek support to do so here in this space. 

It was important with this thread that we maintained perspective and supported each other as best as we could, medical, scientific and public health experts around the world have and still are working hard to contain the virus and treat those affected. 

The Beyond Blue Support Service is available via phone 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat. 

There are some other helpful discussions taking place here within our forum community that you may find helpful to read or participate in: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/hi-there-i-only-just-joined-and... 

This thread is now closed for further posting. Users are still able to read through and find support through already existing posts.  
3,208 Replies 3,208

Gambit87
Community Member

To be honest,

I'm not afraid of the coronavirus, if I get it, I get it. It appears to be nothing more then a bad cold.

I do worry for my parents, particularly my dad because he has heart issues.

My main problem is the hysteria because caused by the government/media. Which has caused people to panic buy which is causing vulnerable people to miss out on basic supplies.

Now the banning of mass gatherings?

I'm going to sound selfish here (and im sorry if does - I know all the banning's and stuff is in the interest of public health) but I hit long service leave in 36 days and I cant go overseas! (well I probably could if I really wanted to) I was really looking forward to going on a overseas holiday! tonight, I was looking forward a hawkers market - but that got cancelled because of this mass gathering ban.

I don't know - I guess im feeling a little trapped at the moment?

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Thanks for this thread.

think the trouble with understanding all the decisions the govt makes is they are following advice from medical people who are trying to see the big picture and stop the spread.

School have been closed down already.

I have picked a person who I trust as he has years of science experience. I find if I only listen to one reliable person it makes it less confusing.

I am still coping with affects of the fires, and now with corona I am trying not to be alarmed.

I have been self isolated all year.

Take care everyone

Quirky

Iann
Community Member

Hello all, Thank you for this much needed forum, I live alone so I find my mind has been overloaded with THE NEWS ! ///Coronavirus (COVID19)

.... I came across a new book ' Don't Read The News ' ... " the NEWS is to the mind what sugar is to the body " Rolf Dobelli ".. author. rang home to me. I'm reducing ( alot) the news ..online/print/and TV and I feel much better. I can still be informed I feel. I feel this is an opportunity to be more of the 'real' me. ... staying home etc. I need to remember being alone is different to being lonely. May we all be well, happy and free. iann

beav
Community Member

I am a public school primary teacher. I’ve been concerned that teachers are being used to keep the economy grinding along with the excuse that kids are safer in classrooms than in the community. Kids are in the community anyway. I’m worried for my own health as I have a rare health disorder which behaves unpredictably when i‘m sick. Many health professionals are saying schools should be closed now. I’m not understanding why they’re being kept open. This whole thing worries me quite a bit. Surely aggressive social distancing is wise? I feel frustrated by being treated as dispensable when other workers are being told to work from home.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

My question is how far do we go shutting down things?Do we close schools or what about shopping centres?I went to a shopping centre yesterday and people were coughing.Should we have to wear mask in shopping centres?

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Everyone...🤗..

I didn’t..Well I hoped that the virus wouldn’t come out my way..unfortunately it has...and with small hospitals out here..no beds...they have been told to home quarantine themselves..but will they?...

Im more concerned about my children and their families living in the Sydney suburbs....I’m scared for them..

One of my sons msged me and told me decided to take his family to the markets today for a day out..These are big markets with hundreds of people walking around..I wish they had shut that down as well...Now I’ll be worrying for the next few weeks if they okay...

Its really scary for my family and what’s happening....I hope it all goes away soon...

Grandy..

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Grandy, matchy, beav,Iann and everyone reading

I think the experts are trying to workout the best way to handle the virus.

I wonder if it is the unpredictability of the virus that is creating so much anxiety.

Human minds are good at predicting the worst.

I know research shows that people tend to overestimate how terribly they’ll be affected by negative events and underestimate how well they’ll handle and adjust to difficult situations.
Be aware that you areprobably more resilient than you think.

Hi Gambit87,

Your disappointment and frustration are valid. You have been planning your LSL for a long time and you have worked hard for it consistently over many years. Yes, the situation IS horribly unfair and frustrating. All your feelings are normal. I hear you.

PatienceBay
Community Member

Hi beav,

I think your feelings are valid in the circumstances. In your situation, I would probably feel exactly the same.

Thanks for sharing your feelings with the group. It's totally OK to go through the full range of emotions during times like these. Remember to reach out to friends and colleagues who get it. You don't have to face these feelings alone.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Their is a lot of panic going on which triggers more panic.At the moment their has been 250 confirmed cases in Australia with a population of 25million.