FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Sophie_M
We recognise that many of us here in the community are feeling scared, worried and overwhelmed about Coronavirus (COVID19). 

As a result, we created this thread to allow people to come together here during those difficult times and encouraged those wanting to share or seek support to do so here in this space. 

It was important with this thread that we maintained perspective and supported each other as best as we could, medical, scientific and public health experts around the world have and still are working hard to contain the virus and treat those affected. 

The Beyond Blue Support Service is available via phone 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat. 

There are some other helpful discussions taking place here within our forum community that you may find helpful to read or participate in: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/hi-there-i-only-just-joined-and... 

This thread is now closed for further posting. Users are still able to read through and find support through already existing posts.  
3,208 Replies 3,208

Hello everyone,

Speak your truth, I too relate to note having structure and routine yet when I had it, I never realised how important it was, well I did a bit as I am no good on holidays.

was going to sort out my pantry but still haven't done that, may leave that for tomorrow.

Glad you started your dishes. I hope tomorrow is better.

I like the way people are looking out for each other on this thread, so people feel brave enough to say how they feeling.

Lou-Lou28
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi all,

I haven't been on here for a while, but now seems like a good time. I have been reading mostly recent posts to catch up where people are at. I am the end of my 4th week in what I am calling self-preservation as opposed to self-isolation. I am a severe asthmatic so everything I'm doing is me trying to preserve my life. I have had a roller coaster of emotions over the last month. I have been frightened at catching this and very, very anxious. I had a phone chat with my counsellor at the beginning of this and she told me I was allowed 15 minutes of worry and to remember to what I can and can't control. This has helped and I slowly began to calm down. Daily meditation also helpful and I too limit my news coverage. Finding a routine is trial and error I think and it comes down to what works for you. I've gone back to what I started earlier in the year which was to plan my week in my diary and at the end of the week, tick off what I got done and put any crosses and a reason why other things didn't get done. It can give a sense of accomplishment.

Lately, my frustration has been my independence being taken from me. Apart from walks where I zig-zag my way around to avoid people, I can't just pop to the shops and I either have to get things delivered or I have to arrange my sister to get me things which leaves me feeling guilty at exposing her even though she has no underlying conditions. You just never know.

I was feeling low last night and still a little today. I live on my own and far from friends. Although I am trying to arrange video chats with friends, it's like herding cats at the moment, leaving me feeling bereft. I was also in the process of making some life changes to help me live my best life and now all that's been put on hold which also leads to more frustration and anger. It feels as if time is being stolen from me and maybe others feel like this too.

I will continue to use this time for some soul searching that my counsellor assists with so that when the times comes to run free, I will hopefully have some better tools and a clearer direction on where I want my life to lead. I am looking for online areas where I can volunteer as I feel useless. It would be great to have a sense of purpose and a feeling I am doing something worthwhile for someone.

Take care of yourselves. Feel the bad days and the good and breathe.

Thank you Quirkywords and PatienceBay and anyone else reading this. I am Cala 😊👋 hello.
Quirky structure seemed to have disappeared from my life so far back I can’t remember. If I had worked hard in those early days to hold onto structure I would be so much better off now, but I didn’t and I’m suffering for it now. Way back then when things were bad for me it was too easy to let it all slide. But today I did get the dishes done, and a couple of other chores, and tomorrow is the vacuuming (I hope)
Patience I have a bit of the Irish in me so it’s not hard for me to express my feeling, especially on this forum where we are all so anonymous.

I have times when I like my solitude and I could even call myself a bit of an introvert but this much ‘solitude’ is much more of a challenge that I want. The main consolation is that I know I am not alone - I can’t even begin to imagine how many singles there are out there in the world who are in the same situation, many of us on this forum.

Other positives are knowing I am a thousand times better off than countless people in the world coping with Covid19. I have depression (with meds), some anxiety and am lonely but I also have a secure place to live, plenty of food, a warm bed and things to fill the time apart from housework 😅 I’ve got tv 📺, books 📚, a dog 🐕, CDs and DVDs 💿. I went out get some supplies today - just couldn’t stay home - and it cheered me up some to see a staff member at Coles who I have got to know a bit and have a quick chat with, and another quick chat at the checkout. Smiles from both were very welcome. Thank goodness it’s been a sunny day with blue skies today, it doesn’t help when it’s overcast, raining and gloomy weather.

Well that’s about it for now. I hope everyone is well and enjoyed some chocolate 🍫 today. I’m trying not to eat much, don’t want to put weight on and sitting too much doesn’t help.

bye for now, Cala big warm hugs to you all 🤗😘

Lou-Lou

Welcome to this thread and thanks for making your first post.

Thanks for sharing your ideas and thoughts of what works for you .

Reading other peoples posts and replying if you want to, lets people know they are not online. Many people have time so they go online and it always helps to know someone cares and listens.

Welcome LouLou.

Congratulations Patience Bay for removing alcohol from temptation. A little can be good sometimes, I repeat “sometimes” but too much too often can be disastrous. So well done you. 💯%

I don’t drink much anyway and I always think of alcohol as a social thing, so I’ve none in the house now and it doesn’t bother me at all, thank goodness. I’d not be at all happy to have to deal with that problem as well as everything else.

I loved reading your post. I have been feeling overwhelmed as a school teacher, forced abruptly into isolation when my son tested positive. The pressure of continuing to teach full time online, being a single mum to two other children, and caring for a covid patient... it has sort of got the better of me yesterday and today. So I did a google and jumped on here. It really is so nice to know I’m not alone. This time is tough. Really tough. We are finally out of quarantine, and I had a great 10km bike ride in the fresh air today. I tell myself I need to just keep putting one foot in front of the other 😢

Hello Susannah H. Welcome to the forum. I’m Cala. I’ve been here on the forum on and off over a few years, and have returned this time because Covid is challenging me BIG TIME, and I’m glad to be back, so I’m sure you’ll find the support you need like I did.

Thank you for replying to my post, the one you said you loved, though I don’t know which one you mean. I’m so glad though that whatever I said helped you in some way.

I don’t have kids so I can only wonder at how hard it must be for you being a single mum, teaching online, 3 kids, 1 Covid+. Phew ! Its great news that quarantine is over for you and I guess your child was asymptomatic with Covid or would have been in hospital. I hope your two others children are old enough to take the pressure off you for some things. It’s great that you did that long bike ride today - it must have blown away a few cobwebs.

Its such an incredibly stressful time in the world and I have been feeling very low today. I feel so helpless, ”there’s nothing I can do“ has been going through my mind but to know that my words have helped you helps me feel better, and so THIS is something I can do - posting on these threads when I can, to offer support fellow members. I hope I can continue to offer you support.

Where I live has been sunny with blue skies today, but generally days are unpredictable now, evenings are very cool and mornings cold mostly. We’ve had a fair bit of rain and heavily overcast skies too. Whats the weather like where you are Susannah ?

I keep telling myself to be positive in thought and word, take one day at a time, be mindful and enjoy the moment. I live alone and have no family or partner relationships so that’s something I am grateful for. Actually I don’t know which is harder - to have stressful family and partner relationships or have no family or partner relationships anyway.

The emotion I have felt today has been very draining indeed and I am exhausted. Normally I am an “owl” type person but I’m ready for bed now at 9.30.

Talk again soon Susannah, Cala 😄

Hello all, and welcome to people reading this thread for the first time,

Susannah welcome to the forum and thanks for making your first post.

You are under so much pressure and so many things to cope with.

I am glad you shared your experience. You are not alone and the support is here.

Feel free to post here as much as you like. You may like to browse some other threads.

This is a good place to talk about things that you maybe worried about and share your positive experiences and suggestions as well.

Forrest_123
Community Member
I have a really big fear of vomit. Like full on panic attack when someone says they were sick earlier that day or I see someone holding a vomit bag sort of thing. I have just seen that coronavirus causes about 5% of people affected to vomit before they show other symptoms. I understand all the facts and how unlikely it is for me to get it and then vomit as well but it doesn’t stop me worrying because it still could happen. What do I do?

Hi Susannah! How are you doing now that you're out of isolation?
Is it a little bit lighter?? Hope you are getting there, one foot in front of the other. Write any time!