FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Sophie_M
We recognise that many of us here in the community are feeling scared, worried and overwhelmed about Coronavirus (COVID19). 

As a result, we created this thread to allow people to come together here during those difficult times and encouraged those wanting to share or seek support to do so here in this space. 

It was important with this thread that we maintained perspective and supported each other as best as we could, medical, scientific and public health experts around the world have and still are working hard to contain the virus and treat those affected. 

The Beyond Blue Support Service is available via phone 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat. 

There are some other helpful discussions taking place here within our forum community that you may find helpful to read or participate in: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/hi-there-i-only-just-joined-and... 

This thread is now closed for further posting. Users are still able to read through and find support through already existing posts.  
3,208 Replies 3,208

Fiatlux
Community Member

* Correction… Got Covid in May 2020.

The brain fog is real following Covid

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks Fiatlux,

I was scratching my head for a moment there!

It is a little difficult to sort out too, because, as you say, during the last couple years, we're not as active, & sitting at our computers, often with poor posture, will take a toll on joints, too.

I hope you are able to get back into walking & other exercise, but take it easy, slowly get back into it. Maybe some stretching exercises? Not sitting so long without moving has been recommended for years. I heard we're supposed to get up & move about every 20 minutes. I haven't met anyone who does that!

My main problem is because my eyesight is so bad, & I still want to see stuff, I tend to lean in close, as well. That is so very bad for my posture! Old habits ...[sigh]

I was one who thought I could 'breeze' through the whole pandemic, not having so many people in my life, not so many responsibilities, but I have had some unexpected difficulties. Now I'm thinking, flu - that looks to be a serious concern this year.

❤️❤️❤️Warmly,

mmMekitty

3 members of my fami,y including a baby have covid. They live 6 hrs away so wish I could help. I know so many here have been through this.

Thinking of everyone struggling at the moment.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Fiatlux, I'm really pleased these anti inflammatory medication is working, this close person is still taking them even though he feels good, although on different days he feels as though he is getting the flue but the next day he's OK, which is great.

He's had the booster injection but his girlfriend had COVID and caught it from school, where she works, now she has the flu and also had the injections.

I want them to get the flu injection, although it doesn't stop you from catching a cold, but does stop the virus the flu carries with it.

It you could consider this as well.

It's unknown what other aches and pains COVID can cause, but we learn from this and everybody is different.

If the anti inflammatory is helping then perhaps keep taking it as my close friend is doing, it's better to feel no pain, than try and cope with it.

Please let us know.

Geoff.

Hi Mark,

We're sorry to hear you're in need of financial help. While we can't provide financial relief ourselves, we are here to listen and talk it through with you, share some ideas for managing how you’re feeling and also help you to get some further support if needed. 

We'd really recommend contacting the National Debt Line for advice on getting some financial help. You can talk to them weekdays, 9:30-4:30pm, on 1800 007 007 or online here: ndh.org.au

You could also use AskIzzy to find more resources. Ask Izzy is a website that connects people in need with housing, a meal, money help, family violence support, counselling and much more. It is free and anonymous, with thousands of services listed across Australia.

We hope that's helpful. Thank you for reachign out here, Mark.

Kind regards, 

Sophie M

bluemoonbluesky
Community Member

Well, it finally happened. After 2.5 years of many close calls I tested positive today. I wasn't surprised. I had been feeling a bit under the weather for days and despite negative tests, I thought I had better keep testing. I got my booster back in early January, so, I guess the protection is waning. I thought it was initially allergies or a cold, but I felt consistently tired for a few days which wasn't normal. I had tried to avoid poorly ventilated venues but went to a live music venue and I guess that's what did it.

I dreaded getting COVID for years. Thinking about it gave me anxiety and panic. The isolation, the wondering about whether I should go here or there, or see my friends. The panic everytime a friend said they were positive, the waiting game. Well, as I saw the rapid test result come up, my attitude was more "oh well', rather than panic or anxiety. I can't control it, so best take care of myself and let my body do its work.

Initially I was tired and fatigued, now it feels like a head cold with congestion. The occasional sneeze or cough but not too bad. I haven't really left my bed for days (nothing to do in my place anyway) so I've just been laying here probably getting more sore from being prone. So far it seems to be a mild case but it still sucks being sick.

Stay safe folks.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
My children's mother tested positive 2 weeks ago and has been in isolation since as she been really sick with it and still has symptoms and her doctor has told her to stay in isolation.Remarkably kids and I haven't caught.I have had the kids for two weeks and looks like a third.It makes it hard when their mother can't even see her kids for a long period and it has been hard on me.I had to cancel appointments for the kids.I think we have come to a new phase of coping with the corona virus from trying to cope with all the restrictions to coping with getting it or knowing someone close to you getting it and how it is effecting us.

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Matchy,

So sorry your kids' mum is so sick, & I hope she'll be over it soon.

Although it is not easy to do, it's so good the kids could come & stay with you.

Now restrictions are eased, & we are, it seems to me, not even keeping a little distance between each other when out in public places, we can expect to come within range of someone who has COVID or flu, (which is pretty bad this year too.).

Even living on my own, no kids to accomadate if I needed, nothing really but to look after myself, having the flu has been inconvenient. As I said, it's pretty bad, & I don't want to give it to anyone, so I'm isolating like your kids' mum is with COVID. I might be alright to go out now, except, if I did I'd still want to mask, but can't.

For me, it's like all I can do is what I"ve already been doing. I fear if I did get COVID or another flu, I might not fight it off very well. I've had this flu for a full two weeks, & only yesterday am I sure I don't have any but the slightest symptoms.

As we go along, being as prepared as we can for the probability that someone close or ourselves will become infected, we will have found what we can do to cope, & I expect it will be easier to deal with in future. The first & second times are hard, but from then the previous experiences inform us what to do, & we can more easily cope.

I wish you all the best. Hope the you & your family aren't too stressed out, & you & the kids have been able to talk to mum while she is in isolation.

Warmly,❤️❤️❤️❤️

mmMekitty

MainlyG
Community Member

There is so much going around at the moment (Victoria)

At my job, people getting sick everyday with covid and other.

SAME as my family, stomach bugs, flu, etc.

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello MainlyG, & welcome to the forums.

How are you coping with COVID (& all the other stuff going around, too, I guess)? What are you doing to help you get through all this?

Warmly,

mmMekitty