FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Sophie_M
We recognise that many of us here in the community are feeling scared, worried and overwhelmed about Coronavirus (COVID19). 

As a result, we created this thread to allow people to come together here during those difficult times and encouraged those wanting to share or seek support to do so here in this space. 

It was important with this thread that we maintained perspective and supported each other as best as we could, medical, scientific and public health experts around the world have and still are working hard to contain the virus and treat those affected. 

The Beyond Blue Support Service is available via phone 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat. 

There are some other helpful discussions taking place here within our forum community that you may find helpful to read or participate in: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/hi-there-i-only-just-joined-and... 

This thread is now closed for further posting. Users are still able to read through and find support through already existing posts.  
3,208 Replies 3,208

Hi Golden, I could feel tears behind my eyes when I read your post to me. I suddenly do not feel alone in this. Thankyou for validated me. Means more then you are properly are aware.

And indeed think more people are coming awake. More and more people are turning up at those..... they have on around Australia.

Hi Golden, I could feel tears behind my eyes when I read your post to me. I suddenly do not feel alone in this. Thankyou for validated me. Means more then you are properly are aware.
And indeed think more people are coming awake. More and more people are turning up at those..... they have on around Australia.

Hi all,

I can understand that sometimes people who are very full on about vaccines probably have a lot of anxiety themselves, and to manage their own stress they tell others wht to do.

Hi Elizabeth, I also attend semi-regular appointments at the publich health psych facility so I can relate to getting vacced so u can have face-to-face medical support.

Katy your understanding and tolerance is always helpful here and on many threads!

Hi Shelll, I sometimes feel so different to others when I speak to them about covid... even that they have such strong opinions and tell me that this or that will be the answer etc... I feel like... how are they so cool with everything that is happening and so confident that they understand it all? It is such a complex and scary time. Thank you for sharing and I hope you feel not alone here.

Hi Golden my friend told me that ppl are often just trying to comfort themselvers when they go on and on about things like u said hot air.... i hear you... take care or urself. I hope you know how valued ur posts and comments are.

Yeah for sure Matchy , it's terrible that people in a so called lucky country are forced out of a roof over their head , lifes most basic of requirements in a country like this.

Some great ideas from us all here but l fear that most likely Gov's being Gov's nothing will become of them after all this. They'll tell us it's too expensive or too complicated or this or that to convert them to use as this or that. The buildings will just deteriorate won't be all sparkling enough anymore next minute they'll be knocking them all down after sitting their empty and wasted 10yrs. What a waste.

rx

Hearing you there Sleepy ☺️

Golden....."refreshing"....yes you can say that again. It certainly is,that people like you....{and me) who agrees with you are feeling a tiny bit more freer to actually express these opinions even though we are invariably shouted down, treated like unfeeling criminals for daring to have an individual opinion on how we run "our" lives....we were once silenced wherever possible.

we tried to warn about "spreading fear" . The majority of this once free country is now clearly living in fear....I find that incredibly sad...so heart breaking to see the once brave, indomitable Aussie spirit. The Premier of my state, Q,has been filling us with fear from Day One. Just yesterday she said "It's going to get worse before it gets better".....good stuff Premier! Wouldn't it be nice to have an encouraging, uplifting, motivating leader?

Hey hey Moon

you arent being shouted down at all.....unless I have missed something...doh!

Can you give some thought to my frail 91 year old unvaccinated mum who is being cared for by my 55 year old antivaxxer sister who refuses to acknowledge that Covid/Omicron is a serious problem

Covid aside Moon...Happy 2022 🙂

my kindest

Paul

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi all,

I'm a little concerned that there seems to be a divide growing amongst us, which I do't think is helpful for us to continue.

Perhaps the pollies have gone about the public message in the wrong way, & that's got some people fearful, anxious, depressed as a result. Perhaps because the medical & scientific knowledge about COVID-19 is still growing, makes people feel uneasy, & when new information comes to hand, & changes are made to fit with the new knowledge, people feel there is no certainty or clarity. It is all adding up to much confusion & various responses to this ongoing pandemic.

Everyone's situation is different, & it's not easy to bear that in mind when your own situation means that you feel the impact of COVID-19 directly, or at close quarters, or the restrictions intended to protect impose limits which make for difficulties in your personal or working, or school life. Or sometimes it all just feels too hard.

Whatever it is for you is valid & important

I feel we have come to BB to be together, so I would urge that to be our priority. We can agree to disagree, & still be heard.

Unfortunately, I don't see COVID-19 ending soon. Other variants will arise, as I understand, from places around the world, where vaccination rates are still low. Eventually, it seems more likely we will have vaccinations, like we do for influenza, which also mutates, & therefore requires a tweaked vaccine every year to keep on top of it. After having a severe flu one year, I am happy to get the flu vacs each year. & if I have to get ongoing vaccinations for COVID-19, then so be it.

Given how much or little understanding there is about COVID-19, I'm sure we are all doing the best we can. Could we do more? Probably. Implimenting more change to how we go about our daily lives is getting so hard, but not so objectionable when we notice how profoundly & permanently some thousands of lives have been effected.

As much power & influence The Media & Politics seem to have, it's not about them. This is about us, humans, in our homes, schools, workplaces, holiday places, cities towns & country towns, farms & factories - everyone.

What we do to protect ourselves, protects some part of society around us, which in turn protects a wider part, & so on...until we are all looked after.

mmMekitty

Added
Community Member
Thanks mmMekitty - everyones feelings are valid and your post really helps me - grateful

Hello Paul....i really feel for you and understand your worry about your Mum. That's an awful situation..has your Mum been able to express herself..that she wants and needs the vacc? If it's entirely in the hands of your sister...I don't know where you go from there...

Re my expressing my true opinions...I was referring to quite a few of my posts being edited...and some not printed at all (perhaps wrong choice of words "feeling shouted down")...best wishes to you and your very important Mum...