FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Sophie_M
We recognise that many of us here in the community are feeling scared, worried and overwhelmed about Coronavirus (COVID19). 

As a result, we created this thread to allow people to come together here during those difficult times and encouraged those wanting to share or seek support to do so here in this space. 

It was important with this thread that we maintained perspective and supported each other as best as we could, medical, scientific and public health experts around the world have and still are working hard to contain the virus and treat those affected. 

The Beyond Blue Support Service is available via phone 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat. 

There are some other helpful discussions taking place here within our forum community that you may find helpful to read or participate in: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/hi-there-i-only-just-joined-and... 

This thread is now closed for further posting. Users are still able to read through and find support through already existing posts.  
3,208 Replies 3,208

Hi rx,

That doesn't sound right to me, but to be sure, look up your own's state government's website for what the rules/gudelines actually say about what shop owners & their staff are encouraged to do in this regard.

It is weird, because paper certificates are (for now), easier to fake than what you may have on the government's app/s - whether the Medicare Plus app or the state's check-in app

Hope they figure it out soon. For now, we may expect some inconsistancy around what to produce for which venue. This period used to be called the 'teething period', when the bugs are hopefully ironed out.

They also need to be more accomadting while the public gets used to what's required.

Personally, I would likely find another company to shop from. & if I was nto social media...I can imagine some reviews being posted as I think about it.

Take care,

mmMekitty

There needs to be uniformity in all of these requirements for showing vaccinations.

At my work place we do require paper copies for our own records. A lot of people don't have them.

So far I believe I have seen at least 20 different ways the Covid Vaccine information can be documented.

I have no idea if this information is legitimate or a fake. I am not asked to request people to show their identification!

We ask to see the information they have on their phone and can they email it to us? If not I have a camera and take a photo of their document, sometimes with very poor results.

I have to sort all of this out at a busy reception desk while also attending to other duties.

Thanks to the borders being open, South Australia has a list of exposure sites which is growing each day!

I dislike going to work now. Too much pressure, not enough information and direction on how to deal with the changing situation, and too many angry people!

Guest_1584
Community Member

Yeah the real craziness is up in my area through this whole what 19mths or so now through all this, when they've had no control and the virus was supposedly everywhere, we've all just been walking in and out of anywhere , scan the wall code thing and your off. Now it's supposedly under control and 85% of people are vaxed anyway, and they're suddenly carrying on like this.

And of they wanna carry on like this yet can't even figure out a system they even trust yet in 19mths let alone the rigmarole they expect people to go through just to get them, just wth,!

Most of Europe just have a green card and that's only for restaurants and stuff, but for here to be carrying on like this as if your a criminal , and at this stage now ha, sooooo typical.

l can't even be bothered getting their damn ph thing or certificate or whatever else they make it so damn complicate who has time and energy for that rubbish. Why don't they just stamp a damn card or something at wherever you got your second jab then and there and boom, done.

rx

rx

Kylie28
Community Member
Is this post still actibe?

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Kylie this post is definately active.Would you like to share how you are coping at the moment.

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Kylie, & welcome to he forum. Please, eel free to contribute your thought, experiences, feelings & any thing you have done to help you cope with COVID-19 & these months of restrictions, lockdowns, vaccines, whatever you like.

I've been trying to assess what I can about 'Omicron' & what it will mean for me, & booster/3rd vaccine & when I will get it - I am in no doubt I will get the next dose, no matter if it is one brand or the other. Whatever I am offered. I have been advised to see about it as soon as possible, given some health concerns.

I am uneasy about crowded places, not being able to wear a mask, still, & knowing that doing everything but totally isolating myself forever, will not provide 100% immunity or protection from serious illness if I was to become infected. I have to still allow for some risk.

I've yet to encounter any major problems while I am out. Today, my helper was asked to verify that she had checked me in when she did the check in for us. The person there asked to see. We had no problem withthat.

My life & my concerns are still not as complicated as others, & I feel the frustration & pain when talking to people. As a border closes, people are again unable to get together with family & friends, & that's going to hurt.

I hope like heck we can soon be assured our health will not be threatened if we need to travel, need to, as I did, go to a hospital clinic, get on public transport, go shopping, go to Xmas parties, New Year's parties, everything.

It's been so hard on so many people, I would love us to be out of it soon. Doing everything we can gives us a chance to get there.

mmMekitty

Doog
Community Member

I Feel all the fear of this covid time for myself and for all of you who have your individual fears...of separation from loved ones due to lockdowns, of the unvaccinated loved ones' health, and of covid itself.

It's the middle of the day and I find myself drinking because of the fear of the upcoming family Christmas, where I would normally be the most excited, planning recipes and gifts months in advance. The Delta was bad enough, but now having no protection against Omicron has thrown my world into darkness and gloom. My cowardly self is afraid of even seeing my kids and grandkids, where there is always so much joy and laughter.

The kids all have careers, lots of friends and colleagues and I'm convinced I will die this summer if I go.

I know it's crazy and selfish, but I try to remember the important things like gratitude and living each day to the fullest, but I had anxiety before covid, I needed meds just to travel out of town cause I couldn't breathe if I was 100kms between major Towns. The anxiety transferred itself to other issues because covid has plonked so many more issues on our laps.

Different to each individual of course. So please if anyone can send one sentence to snap me back into Christmas mode...I haven't even decorated this year not just because nobody is coming but even for myself.

I'm yet to have a session of my favourite Christmas songs I used to play over and over. Then there's the realisation of no Carols by Candlelight for how many years? 2? Not sure. My favourite night of all, like a child I am with fireworks too!

What happened to our world?

So if any of you aren't feeling as "Christmassy" as you used to, you are not alone. It just feels so empty though doesn't it? I haven't even seen the shops for about 10 months, the Christmas displays that inspire you. Nope.

Sorry, I'm doing old person rambling now, my daughter jokes about it LOL..

I hope you are all well and if anybody is feeling anxiety after feeling "safely tucked away in lockdown" and now we are free to mingle and catch covid? Please share your coping strategies on here for me to read.

My adult son is collecting me for our family Christmas next week and I'm excited, but it's shrowded with fear and gloom. I love them all like crazy, so why am I so selfish and self serving just worried about dying from covid?

Hey Doog,

Thanks for sharing this, we’re sure there are many people who can relate to what you’re feeling and will be really glad to see this post. It’s a really uncertain time, and the end of year celebrations are particularly hard for a lot of people.

We’ll probably hear from the lovely people on this thread soon, but in the meantime, we just wanted to pop in and let you know we’re here if you want to talk this through with our counsellors. If you feel even a little bit uncertain or unsettled but don’t think your concerns are ‘important enough’ to call a support service – they are. That’s exactly why Beyond Blue’s Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service has been set up. You can talk to a counsellor at any time of day on 1800 512 348 or via online chat. You can also speak to them about your anxiety and they can help you work out if or how you'd like to get some more support with this. 

It sounds like you usually get a lot of enjoyment out of doing festive things. Is there any one thing, big or small, that you have done this year or think might be achievable? We'd love to hear it if so.

Just one last thing before we go; you’re not selfish! No one can blame you for the way you’re feeling. The fact you’re worried about that and sharing it here where you can work through some of the fears and feelings shows how much you care for those around you.

Thanks again, Doog. It was brave and powerful to share this here, we hope you can feel proud.

Kind regards,

Sophie M

Guest_1055
Community Member

Maybe this sentence....

Put on some happy Christmas songs, sing to them dance around to them in your living room. Look at photos of your children and grandchildren frequently whilst making a gift for them or wrapping up there gifts.

Watch some Christmas movies. Decorate your house the best you can possibly do, with what decorations you have. And if homes are lit up around you, maybe go a walk and look at all the pretty lights.

Yeah that is more then 1 sentence. Sorry about that. You can do it. I am sure that young child is still in you.

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Doog,

It's very sad to hear how much fear you are feeling, & that ist is keeping you from enjoying what would usually be a wonderful time of year for you.

I'd love to share with you what your favourite music, is, so I can go search for it on YouTube. I'm betting on some old favourites like Come All Ye Faithful, Mary's Boy Child, Noel, & Good King Wenceslas - that's a fun one! I like Silent Night & songs like Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer & Frosty the Snowman I once wond a little competition singing The Little Drummer Boy, & got a bag of liquorice. I held it up to show everyone & much to their amusement, I held it upside down. 😺I still had the liquorice.

I can't say any words which would magically make things all better for you. There may be a small risk when you go outside your door & amongst people. We takes risks of various kinds every day, & unless you have some other serious health concerns, & have, for any reason, not been vaccinated at all , & don't/cant wear a mask, & know this is true of anyone you would like to spend time with, then that would make the risk greater. As things are, though, your risk is low. Not sure, please talk to your GP. They have information I can't reliably quote here, as I'm no doctor, nurse or anything, but someone who has listened to what they are saying Primarily on ABC News, & that from knowledgeable & well qualified sources. & I read a lot on our governments' own websites.

If you want to talk more, I will be around, more often in other threads, & intending to be around over Xmas & New Year. 😺

I don't know how big your place is, but if I could, I'd be decorating it, inside & out, & inviting them over. an outdoor picnic, bring a plate, sort of thing. Would that be a slight possibility? Even invite one or two people to help set things up. I would love to do something like this, myself, but my place is too small. It's just that a mainly outdoor Xmas get together would be COVID safer.

Maybe I'm Xmas Dreaming...😻

mmMekitty