FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Sophie_M
We recognise that many of us here in the community are feeling scared, worried and overwhelmed about Coronavirus (COVID19). 

As a result, we created this thread to allow people to come together here during those difficult times and encouraged those wanting to share or seek support to do so here in this space. 

It was important with this thread that we maintained perspective and supported each other as best as we could, medical, scientific and public health experts around the world have and still are working hard to contain the virus and treat those affected. 

The Beyond Blue Support Service is available via phone 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat. 

There are some other helpful discussions taking place here within our forum community that you may find helpful to read or participate in: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/hi-there-i-only-just-joined-and... 

This thread is now closed for further posting. Users are still able to read through and find support through already existing posts.  
3,208 Replies 3,208

Birdy77
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Sleepy,

To answer your question as well, no i am not going out.

My partner works for an essential service, so she has to go out for that, and brings groceries home for us.

I have not left home for more than a week.

Like Summer Rose, i want to be able to know that i did everything i could possibly do during this time.

Billie, i am so sorry about what happened yesterday. We are here with you and for you.

Anthb79
Community Member

Hi All,

never posted here before but have battled with major anxiety most of my Adult life.

i know with the current global situation we are all feeling uneasy and uncertain, I just hope humanity can remember to care for one another instead of turning on each other.

My situation and biggest cause of anxiety is that do still have a job and my job will not shut down even when the state goes into lockdown. I work for NSW health, Medical records office in a prison.

im also a carer for my elderly mother in her mid 70's and I need to use public transport to get to and from work. I am filled with absolute dread and fear than I'm going to be a huge risk. My anxiety has never ever been at this level my whole life and I'm really struggling to see how I'm going to get through this and keep going on.

Thanks for listening and please stay safe and stay home if you can

Anthony

Revann
Community Member
Hi everyone,

Never posted here before but I just don't know what to do.

I've lost everything in this pandemic. Both of my jobs have reduced hours to less than 8 per week. One of those jobs was my placement for my studies, and without the hours I can't complete them. So that's been cancelled on me until next year. I've lost two massive traineeship opportunities in my dream career because of this. My grandparents are very old and immunocompromised, and I can't visit them just in case. I don't want to lose them, and I feel that I might without getting the chance to say goodbye.

I've now lost my house due to unable to pay rent and have to move back in with parents for the first time in 8 years. I'll lose my car soon as I can't afford it. I'm trying to apply for unemployment but our govt is making it painful and I can barely access the site. I need to call to confirm something but I can't get through, so no support there. I was so close to having my future sorted, and it has all come crashing down. I've lost everything, including my sense of identity.

I don't know what to do. Everyone says when this is over it'll go back to normal but will it? Can it? I put off following my passions for years because of issues and now when I'm finally almost there it's gone. I know this sounds selfish, but I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm completely lost. I've got no will to carry on anymore. If anyone has any advice I would love it

Greenboy
Community Member
I am convinced this is the end times.
Nothing is going to go back to normal again, this is how society will stay until the virus wipes the Earth clean.

Despite my best efforts I can't look away from the media and the constant reminder that people die every day.
When am *I* going to be turned into a faceless statistic reported on by the media 3 to 4 times per day?

If the virus doesn't get me then my OCD absolutely will.
I cannot stand it I feel so sad.

Aaronsis
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Greenboy, Revann and Anthb79, as well as others on this thread

I just wanted to jump in to try to address some of the fear and anxiety that you are expressing here. It is a time for the unknown, it is a time like we have not seen before, there are people dying, HOWEVER...we must try to remain calm, we must do as we are asked and take the messages to practice social distancing and to stay home when possible, we must also give ourselves a break from the media too, from the hype and take the facts aside from the emotion when we can.

It is true people are losing their jobs, for now, it is true people are not able to pay rent and continue living as they are, for now. I know this is not much help when these things are so very important however, when this virus is under control, and it will be, we will be stronger, there will be so many jobs created as we do resume life. Sure, it may look different that we knew before, it may not but this we don't know.

We have to focus on what we do know, that if we stay home, we practice good health and hygiene and try as best as possible to keep our bodies and brains active we will get through this time...we are all in this together.

I am so very sorry that you are in a position to have lost employment, this is heartbreaking, I do believe though when we get through this phase and out the other side, there will be many many opportunities again.

Turn to loved one for comfort and support, come here and chat, do what you need to to remain calm and find peace.

Huge hugs to you all.

Sarah xx

Katyonthehamsterwheel
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I walked my dog on the oval this morning. The sun was shining and it was glorious. My dog is a staffy, so she has a very big smile. I took a photo of her smiling, on the grass, with the beautiful blue sky, and posted it to facebook. I wanted to break up the doom, gloom and worry, with a moment's reprieve. Yes, things are bad, but there's still good.

Take care everyone x

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Revann

Your anxiety is palpable and I understand your fear and disappointment. I really do.

It's not fair and you don't deserve this to be happening to you, yet here we are. You are not alone. We are in this together.

I'd like to encourage you to focus on what you have. Parents who love you and a home to go to. Your parents may be anxious given their age and this gives you an opportunity to provide comfort and support to them.

Perhaps it would help you to look at this situation as a pause on your career goals. All that you have achieved is still there. All that you are going to achieve is still yet to come.

Breath. Have faith.

Kind thoughts to you

Hi Greenboy

My daughter has OCD, so I think I may have an insight into how badly you are feeling at present. I'm so sorry for your struggles.

I'd like to encourage you to look at the evidence coming out of the originally worst affected areas of China. There is improvement. Restrictions are being lifted. No new cases. Life always finds a way.

Hang in there

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Greenboy, it must have been an enormous effort to post your comment, as you have OCD and can be a frightening experience to know what to do, when to do it, and how to actually respond to a fear that has all of us worried.

Try and establish whether washing your hands is because of your OCD or is it because of this new virus that's hit all of us, there may seem to be no different to someone who isn't suffering from OCD, but to someone with it, there is a difference.

There is certainly a need that we always want to listen to the latest news bulletin, hoping a cure has been found, may be there has but being kept quiet until trials have been carried out.

I realise and do appreciate that this coronavirus may be a personal nightmare for those suffering from OCD, and please those who are involved it would be good to hear the pain you are also going through.

Take care.

Geoff.

thanks randomx from your reply, helps a lot. just to know how others are handling it. those walks sound peaceful and with so much distance between people, it makes sense.