FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Sophie_M
We recognise that many of us here in the community are feeling scared, worried and overwhelmed about Coronavirus (COVID19). 

As a result, we created this thread to allow people to come together here during those difficult times and encouraged those wanting to share or seek support to do so here in this space. 

It was important with this thread that we maintained perspective and supported each other as best as we could, medical, scientific and public health experts around the world have and still are working hard to contain the virus and treat those affected. 

The Beyond Blue Support Service is available via phone 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat. 

There are some other helpful discussions taking place here within our forum community that you may find helpful to read or participate in: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/hi-there-i-only-just-joined-and... 

This thread is now closed for further posting. Users are still able to read through and find support through already existing posts.  
3,208 Replies 3,208

Hi Matchy69,

That really is tough to have to go through. I have been speaking to some of the people I work with and trying to prepare them for this event as it could really happen anywhere. Anyone of us could receive a call from a public health office and be asked to self isolate due to a reported exposure. It is called 'contact tracing' and it is done to try to stop the virus from spreading further. If you are asked to self isolate, it doesn't necessarily mean that you will contract the virus, it is precautionary.

There are a lot of strategies listed here to help if you are requested to self isolate and coming to the forum may be a good place to talk about how your are feeling. I hope you continue to share if you feel comfortable.

If you want to read a bit about what to do and who to call, you can have a look here:

https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert

Hey everyone...and welcome to all the new members that have posted too!

Today means a lot me as its one less day we have to go through during this difficult time

my kind thoughts always

Paul

Nurse_Jenn
Community Member

Hi everyone,

This is an incredibly tough time. Australia has just lived through one of its biggest bushfire crisis only finishing a month ago. It was the global spotlight with an outpouring of charity and sympathy to the Crisis. So many people across the country are have only just begun working through the trauma experienced after the fires, finding a place to live, talking wth insurance companies, building their community, etc. etc. etc. Making sense of the impact of the bushfires at a personal, community, environmental and ecological level has still not been fully realised. And now this.

"Wow". That is the one word I would post if needed to describe how I was feeling and I am not even sure it is a word). I wonder if you have a word (or more) you would like to share?

This thread is growing everyday with so many people needing an outlet, a place, a virtual sanctuary where people can share their challenges and worry, their comfort and support. It is so great to see the conversation flowing on this forum. Please reach out if you need to. Even if it is only one word.... we are listening.

Nurse Jenn

I did my first tele-consultation with my therapist today. It was fantastic.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Nurse Jen thank you for those comments and link.I will keep you all updated on what the outcome of this is.My daughter is coping really well.I thought she might be scared but she is happy she dosnt have to go to school.Today just bought out the reality that it can happen to anyone.I usually dont go out much but when you are told you cant leave your house it really does hit you the severity of it all.

Take care,

Mark.

PatienceBay
Community Member

In hard times, I find it helpful to name my emotions. This seems to take some of their power away.

It helps me remember I can stand aside and observe my emotions; I don't need to be 'in' them all the time.

So here's a grab-bag of my emotions over the last weeks (they didn't necessarily occur in exactly this order):

*Intellectual curiosity, compulsive greed for information, adrenaline

*Comprehension, insight, awakening, horror, pity, guilt, distress

*Abject fear and revolsion

*Confusion, uncertainty, feeling crazy, social, rejection, frustration, disbelief, desperation.

*Betrayal, loss of faith, rudderless at sea.

*Frustration, fury, hatred, violent anger, bloody revenge.

*Gloating, ego, 'I-told-you-so.'

*Powerlessness, helplessness.

*victimhood, passivity, resignation, resentment.

*Denial, bargaining, regret, gallows / black humour, martyrdom.

*Physical symptoms of extreme distress (nearly a panic attack)

*Lack, fear. So much fear and helplessness 😞

*Morbid fascination, sheer thrill, and anticipation (not proud of it, but there it is).

*Strength, resolution, determination, courage, self-assurance, self-esteem.

*Self restraint and self discipline

*Kindness, compassion, willingness.

*Intellectual curiosity and excitement

*Inspiration, hope.

Without getting too caught up in the thinking 'story', what other raw emotions have you noticed?

Hi Abbie121,

I was just having a conversation with my Pilates instructor today (it was my last lesson we think for a while) and she has advised me that she will be doing video (virtual) classes starting this week. I have also noticed a few other sites in my town doing the same thing. It might be worth looking into and seeing if there are some exercise / fitness classes around that you are able to access. Many people use exercise and fitness regularly for not only the health benefits, but also the social benefits. I suspect there will be many virtual classes occurring during this time which may help keeping connected. There are also many free YouTube exercise videos from Yoga to High Intensity Training. It took a while to find what I liked the best on YouTube but it was an interesting process to search though them all.

Sending you best on your question towards virtual fitness and connection.

Nurse Jenn

abcdefghi

Welcome to the forum and thanks for writing your post and reaching out.

If you read the posts on this thread you will see you are not alone.

It must be hard being at school with all this uncertainty.

Can you talk to your friends about how you are feeling.? Is there a school counsellor or a year 12 advisor.

Sophie and Nurse Jenn have written helpful suggestion and provide links on beyondblue.

Keep posting if you want to and reading here.

Is there any thing that you find calming like music or exercise or singing or doing craft or cooking?

Thanks for sharing your story.

Quirky

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello all

Quince, thanks for answering the questions and giving us helpful suggestions.

Patience I like the way you have named your feelings. I am sure many can relate to some of them.

I think being open about our feelings will help us all.

Nurse Jenn, I discovered fitness workouts for my age group on youtube last year.

my problem is remembering to do some each day and be motivated and not eat while I do the exercises!!

I feel everyone here has gone through so much in our lives, struggles with mental illnesses and we have developed ways to cope so we will deal with this virus.

This is a way we can keep connected if we are self isolating or social distancing.

I'm angry and upset. I have an illness with a 10-15% suicide rate, so I'm far more likely to die from suicide than coronavirus, so the government is trashing my health in order to benefit someone else - I've pretty much lost all my social support, and will for the forseeable future. That's a huge cost in managing an illness. I rely on close friends and family to notice early symptoms, and I won't have that safety net anymore. I loathe online forums like this one, I loathe Facebook, and I don't have family nearby. I always met up with my friends, I didn't phone them. The infectious disease doctors couldn't care less about my mental health, I couldn't care less about their disease. I'm not sufficiently knitted into the community to want to sacrifice myself for others - I'm too stigmatised for my illness. I'm far to concerned about maintaining my stability to care about anybody else's wellbeing. Nobody is offering to pay any kind of cost to support my wellbeing. Unpopular but true.