FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Sophie_M
We recognise that many of us here in the community are feeling scared, worried and overwhelmed about Coronavirus (COVID19). 

As a result, we created this thread to allow people to come together here during those difficult times and encouraged those wanting to share or seek support to do so here in this space. 

It was important with this thread that we maintained perspective and supported each other as best as we could, medical, scientific and public health experts around the world have and still are working hard to contain the virus and treat those affected. 

The Beyond Blue Support Service is available via phone 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat. 

There are some other helpful discussions taking place here within our forum community that you may find helpful to read or participate in: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/hi-there-i-only-just-joined-and... 

This thread is now closed for further posting. Users are still able to read through and find support through already existing posts.  
3,208 Replies 3,208

Thank you Elizabeth, for understanding my situation

I don't like to fuss about myself and my standards but if it's worth saying I'll just add, I keep the rules and don't go for Walks or to thenshops after 9pm. On one occasion I went to the ed as I felt suicidal, and had a note that I could be out for that. I do keep the rules but would love to go for a walk at night to calm myself as I struggle with sleep. I do struggle with the curfew and find it hard. I wandered if I left and said it was a walk for me to keep safe mentally what would happen, but I'm too scared so don't do that. I never venture out unless that one time with a note. I keep the rules but they sometimes frustrate me. As you mentioned, going for a lone walk doesn't spread it, but we do here as you said try hard to keep it, in general, and are vulnerable ppl,doing our best. Thank you so much for listening to me. Ur right about it all in my opinion,and I hear you.

Thanks for accepting my apology. I never got the impression you would have broken the rules. It might be worth getting a note to allow you out of the house for MH reasons. I know someone who has one for the same reason as you. I had permission to leave my 5km at times. I spoke to DHHS and they assured me that it was ok providing I had a letter from my psych to verify it was a genuine need for my MH.

Im currently feeling very vulnerable. My hsb is quite unwell at the moment. I'm hoping he gets better on his own because I don't feel I can take him to hospital without putting him at further risk. I will no longer govto th GP he used to go to after getting extremely poor treatment earlier this year which has left me with long term nerve damage. The new GP doesn't kow my hsb so wont understand the risks associated with his condition. Sorry for venting

Guest_1055
Community Member

This is how I am coping with the C.

Sometimes I feel fear, if I watch main stream media. I hate feeling fear. And being consumed by it in my thoughts and soul seems to rob me of any happiness and peace. Hard to see any beauty around me, hard to love other people. Fear clouds my thinking. I look through eyes of fear and really cannnot see clear or straight. It's absolutely feels like hell itself. I have struggles making logical decisions when my soul is consumed by fear. And I certainly do not want to make any important decisions whilst in this state. How can I, when I don't see issues clearly enough. Because its clouded by fear.

So I hardly watch any main stream media, I don't watch TV. The bit of media I do is just enough to be aware of restrictions. Or I may get that information from someone else.

I am also aware of some of what appears the other side. The side that has been heavily censored by government bodies. Which sometimes I also struggle with fear of if I read or listen to this too much.

I like to be aware logically though. And not to make any decisions in regards to all this stuff when I feel fear. I also don't make good decisions when I am in panic mode. And a lot of the media seemed to put panic into me. Or I picked it up from others. Sorry can't live that way. It is overwhelming and like I said hell itself.

So I am coping I think by choosing to think on whatever is lovely and whatever is pure and honest. Not always getting it right though.

I like watching little babies because they can smile when you smile at them. They can be at rest, they seem to find delight in simple things. Don't seem it panic mode (unless absolutely hungry) and even that is pretty cute.

Anyway I am also coping by going outside in the sunshine. Vitamin D3 especially good for us at the moment. Getting fresh air. Moving. Taking vitamin C and vitamin d3 and k2. Eating vegetables. I am doing all this to improve my natural immunity. I could improve much more there though.

Properly the most important way of coping for me and I am still in the learning process here is to pray to our Heavenly Father. And to trust Him, which is not easy, especially if one doesn't know exactly what trust looks like. I ache to be close to Him and stay there. Because this is where I belong. I am so at peace in that special place. It doesn't seem to matter what the circumstances are like around me. Its safe there. The Mighty and loving God has got me.

RX I hear you. I’m finding it very difficult to feel positive. I alternate between anger, jealousy that the positive free states haven’t had to endure what we have here in VIC, especially that we are locked out of other states to be with family . The uncertainty of when we can all be one Australia is eating me alive. I hate it that the premiers have so much power and making our lives harder than what it already is

Welcome fedupwithcovid to the forum.

It is hard coping with lockdowns and remaining positive.,

. I have a grandchild who is almost 3 months and I have not seen her.

You are not alone and we are listening

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello all, and yes, welcome Fedupwithcovid, I am glad you are here.

I want to say, I hear the pain felt by those who cannot visit with family and friends they miss so very much. I have seen people speaking about it, news mostly, and it is heart-breaking.

many times I have sworn out loud to hear someone has been denied an exemption to visit a loved one, who is sick/dying, while others, not in such circumstances are granted exemptions.

I can imagine myself crying, 'why?' I don't know if people can ask anyone, "why?", or if the way people learn they are refused is via a blunt note or what...I'm just sure it is most frustrating, disappointing, and disheartening.

I don't even know if there is a way to appeal. Or time enough, in the event a rellie is dying.

It is understandable to me, when people try to cross the closed borders anyway.

I do get anxious and worried to hear someone has succeeded and has tested positive for COVID-19, and they have been in near-by locations. I think how quickly COVID-19 spreads from person to person, or several people, as we have seen.

My ability to cope has been under strain and I am concerned about how much more strain I can deal with. I'm trying, putting in a lot of effort, and I am constantly tired, as if this is taking a lot of my energy reserves just to cope with each passing day.

I feel I am on your side. I want what you need. I wish I could give it to you. I would take more time stuck in my flat if you could go and be with your distant &/or friends.

We can only do every small thing we can to get this virus down to such levels that it can be managed without so many restrictions. Remember, if you can, get vaccinated, wear the horrible mask, keep a wide physical distance from otheres where possible, use hand sanitizer, yours or theirs, wash your hands when we all know we should, use the QR code, if you can or be sure to record your presence where you are, shopping or whatever.

I think, don't rely much on being able to remember where and when you went anywhere - keep notes. That way, you can check your notes or give tracing staff the notes, if you need to. I am amazed how I forget exactly where and when I have been somewhere, and I am not going out unless I absolutely must.

I have found, under stress and having anxiety or depression, or well, any mental health concerns, makes it harder to keep track of things, almost everything!

Okay, I'm running out of characters I can have in this post ... & I am surprised this time.

Guest_1584
Community Member

They said on the news last night Melbourne's spent more days in lock downs than any other city in the world.

l don't understand this at all , most other cities Melbourne's size or bigger had 100's of 1000s of cases.

rx

Dear randomx ...Of course you don't understand it...no one does. It's beyond ridiculous....the reason is that the Vic Premier, like our Qld premier is drunk with the power and control they wield....they've become addicted to it especially noted with the childish outburst a couple of days ago from Q's Anna P....answering questions from journalists about whether Qld would be out of lockdown and opened up for travel, including international once we hit 80% vaccination?

Naturally she didn't give a straight answer....just threw back at the reporter " well, where ya gonna go then...hey? India? or wanna go to Tokyo?.".......yes very mature answer Premier, how classy, how professional........this whole debacle will be a stain on the reputation of several Premiers for many years to come....scandalous!

The idea behind having these strict lockdowns is to NOT have millions of cases, and so many people needing hospital care, but no way to help them. We don't want a million people dying.

I saw, (not clearly) a man wheeling his dying father in a wheelbarrow. The hospital could not take him. The man is pleading & crying. It upsets me to see such things on tele, how much worse it is if people you care about, or yourself?

That's at the root of why these lockdowns are so severe. That's what I remember when I complain about being confined, because I can't adhere to all the restrictions and feel I am doing everything I can.

I don't want people to feel nervous or uncomfortable around me, because I need to go out occasionally, though unable to wear a mask. What if? & I can't get help?

I don't understand how it has happened that some people with COVID-19 have died in their own homes. That's not being explained. That is scary. I'm imagining the illness takes a sudden nose-dive & they have become so debilitated by COVID-19 they became unable to call for help, or there is suddenly no time.

This is why I am so utterly serious about COVID-19.

I try to put myself in others' shoes, and still think I got it easy. That doesn't mean I don't hurt too; I acknowledge, not try to put on my old face of denial, & allow myself the feelings. but not ALL the time.

We're all worn down by these months of restrictions. I think we need to find those things we can do, within the restrictions, to ease our bodies and minds.

I cam take a long shower. I find music on YouTube. I am sourcing books I have not read before. I post here as a way of feeling not so detached from people, community, & the human race. That's how cut off I've been feeling. I have to put in some effort, to do things differently.

I have not quite figured how to incorporate my involvement with BB, which I will have to restrict, because, time, it gets away and I am staying up way too late. I want to keep up with the threads where I have posted, & just checking in takes time, and then I want to post and that takes time, because I am reviewing what I am writing, editing, changing, before I post. Even the word games I am enjoying, I take time to think what, if anything, I post there.

I have to consider what I need, make some more choices, finding what can work.

'One day at a time' seems a good idea right now.

& those virtual shoulders & hugs come in handy. & we have an unlimited supply.

Tbh rx and moonstruck, it's been devastating in Melbourne for ppl struggling with mh. I've heard for adolsents as well, not easy, they need to get their energy out and be with others

When the rules change, morph, and mutate into new things, just as we've got used to the old rules, It leaves me feeling really isolated , having no one to process it with. U see the effect of human companionship

If I had one person by ,y side to say...wow...that's rough, hey? I think I'd feel more solid, but as it is now I feel like a leaf blowing in the wind....and the changes and har sh rules just batter me around

I keep every rule

I haven't had anyone in my house nor gone tomanyones house

But hundreds of days alone in a small apartment with no garden and struggles with severe mh concerns...and si...will get to u. I am going to ask my psych along Elizabeth's suggestion if i can get a note, maybe just to walk outside alone past 9. I can't take this shut in feeling any more and going to hospital looms