FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Sophie_M
We recognise that many of us here in the community are feeling scared, worried and overwhelmed about Coronavirus (COVID19). 

As a result, we created this thread to allow people to come together here during those difficult times and encouraged those wanting to share or seek support to do so here in this space. 

It was important with this thread that we maintained perspective and supported each other as best as we could, medical, scientific and public health experts around the world have and still are working hard to contain the virus and treat those affected. 

The Beyond Blue Support Service is available via phone 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat. 

There are some other helpful discussions taking place here within our forum community that you may find helpful to read or participate in: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/hi-there-i-only-just-joined-and... 

This thread is now closed for further posting. Users are still able to read through and find support through already existing posts.  
3,208 Replies 3,208

Banksy92
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Lockdowns have been such a journey for us all - it feels like I've lost 2 years of my life in a snap of a finger.

For me, the hardest parts are when I don't know what's ahead. I'm in Melb, so know lockdowns all too well now. Before we were given the recent roadmap out of lockdown, my anxiety was building up so much I could have exploded. It's also frustrating that it feels like every conversation is centred around it, all over social media and online, the news never stops, we can't escape.

I'm really grateful for the small freedoms we've been granted this week and am hopeful for the coming months, but it's been a really taxing experience for us all.

Hi Grandy I’m just reading your post for the first time. I have just joined this forum,after it was recommended to me by the beyond blue Counsellor I rang this arvo. Have felt hopeless today in Melbourne all doom and gloom. It was great to read something hopeful. Thank you 🙏🏻

Ouch! Just my feelings...I have ptsd, so shop at night, and get scared alone at home being unable to leave

I just want to go for a walk or to buy milk. I collapsed today after 3 days of no sleep, and slept in deep sleep fro, 5 to 9 15. I woke up and couldn't leave the house to buy food. I have no food in the house and can't go get it, unless I pay for delivery, which I can't afford as I live pay to pay. If we listen to each other we might hear different experiences

Hi, I understand the distress so,e ppl feeling with the curfew, for ppl with ptsd it can evoke deae. Yes we can leace in an emergency but in moments of distress it's hard to access if an e,egency is happening or permissible.

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I'm so over it all. I'm so tired and drained. Had an anxiety attack Sunday arvo and felt anxious yesterday. I feel coming out of lockdown will cause anxiety to. Back into school routine, back to the office, organising care for my daughter over summer holidays. Between us in my family we've had to have 8 covid tests in 4 weeks.

So over it.

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

CMF

I am sorry you are feeling exhausted and drained. You have a lot on your plate and it hads been a long times.

My thoughts are with you and others experience anxiety.

I have no idea when i will see my new grand daughter she is already nearly 3 months and realsiticaslly I may be lucky to see before end of year.

Fedupwithcovid welcome to the forum and this thread. Hope you feel better soon.

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

quirky, congratulations on the birth of a new baby grand daughter! How beautiful. Prayers that you get to hold her soon. xx

Banksy, feeling for you. I can understand the feelings of near explosion but it was for other reasons many years ago and I said "like a balloon needing to burst" so kinda different. Is there any way you can forge a separate segment of your life? like beginning a thread on other things? xx

Fedup, sure. In one way or another we're all fed up with elements of Govt restrictions and covid or both. "Not knowing" is a biggie, in a way we never know nuttin' before or after covid but this one being a shared worldwide human experience has created a synchronised anxiety state that few could avoid.
Basically as my Counsellor explained, previous to covid we had ppl in our lives we could reach out to in times of needs to "co-regulate" us, help us. Now everyone's struggling so there isn't the co-regulation support network anywhere. xx

It's up to us. Each individual has to do whatever it takes to calm ourselves, whatever it takes to be "okay". We need to be able to get through this time with our wits at the end.

Tbh I don't see "an end" to covid. It's a matter of adapting and learning to live with it. xx

CMF, I'm hearing you. My kid's workplace is popular! We've had 4 "get tested and stay at home" orders in 3 weeks. Others before then.
Since then I bought stacks of pasta, noodles and tinned tomatoes for our go to. The first order caught me off guard. xx

Sleepy, sorry you had no food, it's a horrible situation. I know I've harped on this but do any Churches deliver Food packs? Even if you don't usually like or eat this food, it's good to have a store in cases like that. xx

Overall the only place that covid is really spoken about in my life is here on the forums.
I avoid all news etc. My friends and I seldom speak of it, only what we're doing now to comply.

Love to you all and hope you can find ways to manage better through this time.
EMxxxx

Guest_1584
Community Member

Pretty amazed yesterday , and relieved. We've been needing to pick up my daughters car from Melbourne. Well not understanding how the lock downs are working this time round, but we couldn't afford to waste the money getting a truck. Called my brother down there asked what's going on what do you think, he says ahhh, just drive straight down pick it up and leave again, should be right.

lt's a 3hr drive one way and then and it turned out to be right in the city. Anyway not the usual traffic but still pretty busy , mostly commercial buttttt, we got in and out hassle free. Felt so weird though. We ended up in this huge under building car park with roller doors to get in and out , all locked in, where he kept the car. He let us in it had a card system thing. lt all felt so strange though we had to wait outside the building on the street for awhile, thought we'll be picked up for sure sitting here but no one bothered us , no cops. Then he came down showed us into the place they took the car out for a test spin round town , like any other day really we were really surprised. Much quieter though.

Then we just did the paperwork and drove straight out of there and back up to the coast , not a boo from anyone. Strange day though and you could really feel the atmosphere too. My gf and l have had to drive straight through their harshest lock downs 3 times now to the airport and stuff , one trip was 3am, and now the car thing.

lt really is the strangest 2 yrs of our lives though that is for sure isn't it. Heart goes out to everyone down there though , it's a different city, different world , must be very very hard for everyone.

rx

Hi everyone,

It has been a strange 2 years hasn’t it? I dare say it’s been the toughest 2 years of my life. It made me confront so many things, and forced me to take my mental health seriously. It was a really struggle. I’m still learning how to manage it.

It’s strange really. Or, is what I’m about to say normal? Someone share some wisdom if you know! But, I’ve developed new anxieties about anxiety during this pandemic. Like, anxiety about how anxiety will affect my future. Or, whether my new formed anxiety during lockdown will affect me finding a financially sustainable job? Or, whether it’s my anxiety developed during this pandemic that’s made me forgo my career goals that I’ve had for years or if my new mentality is just because I’m dulled and exhausted by the pandemic. It’s hard to process and think about it sometimes.

Does anyone else struggle with this? Any wisdom will be greatly appreciated!

Some days, it is easy but some others like today, it gets hard.

Added
Community Member
Hi EM - Thank you for this very helpful and supportive post.