FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Sophie_M
We recognise that many of us here in the community are feeling scared, worried and overwhelmed about Coronavirus (COVID19). 

As a result, we created this thread to allow people to come together here during those difficult times and encouraged those wanting to share or seek support to do so here in this space. 

It was important with this thread that we maintained perspective and supported each other as best as we could, medical, scientific and public health experts around the world have and still are working hard to contain the virus and treat those affected. 

The Beyond Blue Support Service is available via phone 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat. 

There are some other helpful discussions taking place here within our forum community that you may find helpful to read or participate in: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/hi-there-i-only-just-joined-and... 

This thread is now closed for further posting. Users are still able to read through and find support through already existing posts.  
3,208 Replies 3,208

missa7
Community Member
Hi,

Does anyone have family that have tested positive to Covid?

My little nephew has tested positive... it means that half my family is now in isolation and probably going to test positive soon.

I feel helpless and upset and I can't even really post anything on facebook to my friends because my sister doesn't want anyone to know.

I feel like nobody knows anyone who has actually had it, so all I can think of is the possible worst case scenarios....

Thanks for reading.

Elizabeth CP
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
My daughter lives in the UK and caught Covid late last year. Fortunately she is fit and healthy so only had mild symptoms and recovered well. She found isolation hard as she had to stay in her room to avoid infecting her housemates. Hopefully your family will be like the majority and recover well. By sticking to the rules and isolating when potentially infectious they are protecting everyone else including those who may develop severe forms of the disease.

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi missa7

I’m really sorry to learn that your nephew has tested positive and that other family members have now been exposed to the virus.

Please, try not to overthink it. In 80 per cent of Covid patients the illness is mild to moderate.

What’s really important though is for people having difficulty breathing to get to a hospital quickly. There is a steroid medicine that can really help people at this stage of illness and I understand people can deteriorate rapidly, so best to be at hospital (I am not a doctor, getting my information from ABC news reports).

Please, tell your sister not to hesitate to call 000, if required. Always better safe than sorry.

Why doesn’t your sister want anyone to know? Do you think this might stop her seeking medical care?

No pressure to answer here. Just curious.

Kind thoughts to you

Elizabeth CP
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I'm sorry Grandy about your neighbours son. I felt angry hearing about people being so inconsiderate. When you look at the situation in Vic where a couple of removalists from NSW broke the rules going into an apartment and not wearing masks and resulted in the whole state being locked down because they infected people in the apartment one of whom went to the football and infected others leading to a massive chain of infections.

People need to think of others and follow the rules to protect everyone whether they are vulnerable people, buisiness owners or workers who need to be able to work.

Rupes79
Community Member
Is anyone else hearing Sydney is going to be in lockdown until mid November when vaccination rates reach 70%? I don’t think I will make it that far to be honest.

l'm in Vic but l've been catching updates most days this time round. Haven't heard anything about Nov for Sydney , couldn't imagine that though myself that's a helluva long time away yet.

lf these things run to the usual form for Aus through this, l'd say they'll be on top of it within a mth or so from here now though. Couldn't see it lasting all the way through to Nov myself.

rx

We are 5 weeks in RX and it’s getting worse not better. I find it hard to believe numbers improve in the next four weeks.

Yeah , no way to know. But they did in Vic and we were getting 4 times what you guys are. And yes l know this is Delta , but 4x , anyway , lets hope eh, hang in there.

I think the Hope part is the worst part RX. Sitting around hoping only to be hit with the inevitable extension. That’s worse than knowing. I wish they’d just level with us.

If something isn't working...why do they keep doing it over and over again, expecting a different result?

I heard once that was the definition of "insanity"....

and I saw yet again long lines of people waiting hours to be tested? why weren't they forming long lines waiting to be vaccinated instead?