FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Sophie_M
We recognise that many of us here in the community are feeling scared, worried and overwhelmed about Coronavirus (COVID19). 

As a result, we created this thread to allow people to come together here during those difficult times and encouraged those wanting to share or seek support to do so here in this space. 

It was important with this thread that we maintained perspective and supported each other as best as we could, medical, scientific and public health experts around the world have and still are working hard to contain the virus and treat those affected. 

The Beyond Blue Support Service is available via phone 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat. 

There are some other helpful discussions taking place here within our forum community that you may find helpful to read or participate in: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/hi-there-i-only-just-joined-and... 

This thread is now closed for further posting. Users are still able to read through and find support through already existing posts.  
3,208 Replies 3,208

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
hey greenboy, i just wanted to say hang in there. This time can be crushing for people with mental illness. I hear your pain and struggle. I wish I had answers but I just wanted to reach out to you and say hang in there, although the media is terrible, sometimes so are the thoughts in our head 😞

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

welcome Anthb79, Greenboy, Revann , to the forum and to this thread and thanks for making your first post.

There are many people supporting you as the replies from Aronsis, Summer Rose, Geoff and sleepy show.

Revann, It is hard losing so much and I can relate to that as in the fires my home was destroyed and my business. Now it is hard for me to cope with not being able to see my grandchild and to see my children worried about me .

I think focusing on what we can control instead of worrying what we can't control, does help.

Our lives have changed but we are here and we are still writing and sharing our stories with others. We are survivors .

Hi Quirky I liked what you said "Our lives have changed but we are here and we are still writing and sharing our stories with others. We are survivors ." ( how do I quote this like you did in bold?!)...

You are right that we can't control so much of it so best not to focus on the things that are changing.

I was very upset today, because my GP appointment was made into a phone appointment - and he never called. The expectation was the worst part. I have to let go of always wanting things to go a certain way.... and accept that this is a changing time, and that's okay. We are all here together, and that's enough for me, now. We are survivors.

Xtinex
Community Member

Hi, I am new here and first time poster.

I am really struggling this week. Anxiety is at an all time high.. I am lucky to still be employed, to have the ability to work from home and have all this amazing technology at the tips of my fingers. But I cannot control my emotions, the fear of the unknown and fear of loosing someone close to me ( immune compromised mum and dad) - all I want to do is go home and give them a huge hug, but I can’t.. it is not worth the risk. Mornings and nights are the worst, when the anxiety is at its worst I struggle to eat, and if I do.. to keep it down. I’m trying to keep myself calm, trying meditation and yoga which helps for a little bit.. but I’m just a big mess at the moment.
Anyone have any coping tips to keep calm? I am not watching the news anymore, and seriously limiting my time scrolling Facebook because it just makes everything worse.

Hi Sleepy,

I read your post and can relate to your story today. I also had a GP appointment via phone to get some test results and they didn't ring. I was disappointed (as you describe you were) and then, they called at 7:45pm!! which was quite shock as this is out of character for my GP to ring so late.

I just made me think that nothing is running normally right now. So many people are changing the way they deliver care, the way they deliver their business, the way we have to communicate. There has been so much change in such a short space of time that it is hard to process everything all at once. Each day we are getting a little more resilient and are adjusting to this time in our lives. New ways of working and connecting are being found and shared.

Thank you Quirky. Survivor is the word I am taking with me to sleep tonight.

* If you want to make a word bold, highlight the text and there is a little box at the top left corner of this text box that has the B and you click that'.

Nurse Jenn

I am a registered anaesthetic nurse in a private hospital. Due to the governments decision to cancel all elective surgery I am now without work. I have had to apply to MyGov to make ends meet. A registered airway nurse in a national health crisis without work? Feeling completely numb. Have never been without work for 10 years. I know I am not alone, I know there are people out their feeling as helpless as me. It’s been a bloody shitty week for us all!

I’m the same - I’m not scared of getting it - I’m scared for the safety of all my loved ones

I’m becoming terrified - I know most of us are doing the right things -staying home - but not being able to visit my children or my parents - not being able to have face to face with my psychiatrist or psychologist. I know I’m not alone- we are all in the same boat - it’s just hard to stay strong

Hanna3
Community Member
Jacey, that is a ridiculous waste of expertise and experience! Ireland has declared all private hospitals there are now part of the public health system, and all patients are treated as public patients during the pandemic - so let's hope you are not needing centrelink for long, as surely the public hospital system can use you, or else let's hope our government follows Ireland. Best wishes.

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Jacey

I'm so sorry to hear about your job. I'm also gobsmacked to learn you are applying for unemployment.

You have highly valuable skills that should be utilised during the pandemic. Maybe you don't have the specific skills to help with the most critical patients, but there would undoubtedly be other general nursing required.

Things are happening very fast, hopefully this is an issue that is soon addressed. I mean, there must be other private hospital nurses in the same boat as you and I thought the public health administrations were desperate for staff (I'm sure I heard there was a call put out to recruit retired health practitioners). Surely there is a way to utilise your collective skills in the public system.

Do you know your union's position on this issue? Have you thought about letting media know? Maybe contacting the ABC?? To me, it just seems crazy.

Kind thoughts to you