FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Can anyone who has recovered from Anxiety and Panic Attacks without drugs please tell me HOW

Romany
Community Member

I really want to hear from someone who has been there with severe anxiety and panic attacks and RECOVERED!

We are all in the same boat here we have all read the same literature - bought all the books sought appropriate advice.. We have  tried various types of HELP. We have purchased Internet programs. Seen the Psychiatrist or Pschologist. Been to the naturopath, thought about Hypnotherapy, tried Reiki, Yoga, exercise, relaxation, meditation etc etc etc .

I dont want to talk about my symptoms any more -   I JUST WANT TO HEAR SUCCESS STORIES

I just want people who have sucessfully recovered to tell me how they did it in as few words as possible.

RELATED THREADS

Self- help tips for managing anxiety

What worked for me

Strategies for coping wanted

What do you usually do to stay calm and positive?

What life can be like at the end of the tunnel

16 Replies 16

integrityguy
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Romany. It sounds like you're in a dark place right now, and I sincerely hope you can find some peace and hold onto it. The best piece of advice I can offer you - as someone who has suffered from chronic anxiety for at least 19 years - is that there are no quick fixes or magic solutions. Hear me out though ... what has worked, and is still working for me, is a change in perspective. I think of anxiety as something which is part of me, rather than something I recover from. If I force an expectation on myself to recover from anxiety, it fuels the fire and makes it worse. The more I learn to accept the existence of anxiety, the less pressure I feel.

Peace.

Ann_Ziety
Community Member

Hi Romany,  I agree with integrityguy.  I have been living with anxiety all my life and I am now in my 60s.  It is a part of my life.   However, I am in a place right now where the anxiety is causing me distressing physical issues.  I've been down the drug trail in the past and have decided that I don't want to do that again so I am currently undertaking a change of lifestyle programme.  I've joined a gym, started eating healthy and have started using EFT.  The EFT is really helping me.  I am seeing a therapist and use it whenever I can to help calm me. And I am also using CBT.

I see my anxiety as something that is happening in my life but something that I can control.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.

Ann

Romany
Community Member

Rewording the question.

I really do want to hear POSITIVE stories. I am not in a dark place in fact I am feeling positive and looking for stories that support this.

Yes its horrendous and I have had all the symptoms and I got scared that I was going crazy and will never have a normal life again BUT

I am now taking a different  direction  I believe that gathering stories that give HOPE is the way to go -  IF ONE PERSON CAN DO IT WE ALL CAN!!!!    and

I am going to make it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Romany
Community Member

Hey Ann

You are doing it girl! Congratulations. Joined a gym, eating healthy, EFT and CBT.

Great Lifestyle choices.  Good attitude - you said you now see anxiety as something that no longer controls you.  Ditch the past and how it all happened. Keep at it you are going to make it and  - You were helpful. Keep positive.

Thanks Romany

AlexG
Community Member

Hi Romany,

I was on this website for another reason and happened upon your post. Simply had to respond to you.

I have gone through this. It took me several years. But it can be done. No drugs. I'm no expert in this field but I have lived through it and got out the other side. Not sure what you are after but it can be done. What the others say about 'change in lifestyle' is part of it. One thing is for sure, whatever you are doing now, must change. I'm not saying it ever goes away but in my case it is very much under control. I know what not to do. And the change in lifestyle, is part of that 'keeping it under control'.

You want the answer in "as few words as possible". Well, that's just it, if it was that easy a fix, it would not be a problem would it? Accept that the fix it not easy, but it does exist.

This is (in my case) the most challenging  thing I have ever done. But I am grateful that I persevered.

Not sure what else i can tell you.

Cheers,

Alex

Romany
Community Member

Thanks Alex

I very much appreciate your reply and it gives me encouragement and hope. I am making changes and it has been very much trial and error. What I have had to learn is patience and to start to accept that the path to recovery is very much an up and down one.

velvety
Community Member

hi Romany

I am in my mid 50s and have had three serious bouts of depression in my life when the best choice I could have made at the time was to be on anti-depressants for a few months.  The first two times I needed help I was 31 years of age, following the birth of my first child. With no real support, It took years to recover my confidence but I also discovered how resourceful l am and how to be self reliant.  The other time was following separation after 21 years of married life. I was stronger and wiser by then and understood a lot about mental health.  Even so, nothing could prevent me from spiralling down into a sense of panic that only a dose of benzos could help stop that feeling.  I was glad I made that choice at the time.  Otherwise, I exercise most days of the week, swim, meditate, dance, rock climb, and have some great friends.  I think of myself as someone who get a lot of pleasure out of life, sometimes I experience intense satisfaction and a genuine sense of achievement, but I am often aware that I have arranged my lifestyle so that I can keep some emotional equilibrium. If I start to stress, I swim three days in a row, just to get my breathing back to what feels calm and normal. If my thinking races too much, I take a sleeping tablet to have a good night's sleep. If I need someone to talk to, I make an appointment to see a counsellor. These strategies are usually enough to get me through a stressful patch.  If it wasn't, I wouldn't hesitate to seek further medical support.  Thankfully, I seem to manage well enough on my own.

I hope that helps 🙂

Scotty2013
Community Member
You dont Recover, you just learn to manage it better...and like most illnesses there is chance of relapse , well this has been my experience. TC

Joan_Smith
Community Member

Hi Romany,

I recovered by going to counselling 2x a week. The techniques we used were mindfulness and CBT for the preliminary stages then other techniques for deeper recovery work once the preliminary symptoms and surface level anxiety has been resolved. I have since trained as a counsellor in the hope of helping others do the  same without drugs.

regards,
Joan