FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

30 seconds of survival during tough times: what is yours today?

Peppermintbach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi everyone,

I have a little survival idea that want to run by you all:

I’m not asking for 30 hours or even 30 minutes. I’m only asking:

If you have been going through a hard time or struggling with something (whatever that may be) what were 30 seconds of respite, reprieve or relief that you experienced today? What were you doing in those 30 seconds?

You can write as often as you like or as infrequently as you like. It also doesn’t have to be 30 seconds either. That’s just a number that I chose, because I thought it would be doable for most people. It can be more or less than 30 seconds of survival.

I would love to hear from you 🙂

I’ll start:

On my way to work, I spotted some Christmas decorations, and instantly thought “oh, that’s so pretty!”

30 seconds of relief from my troubles. 30 seconds of survival.

Background/inspiration for this thread:

I was inspired by a book that I’ve been reading. It’s based on real life events where a woman lost her husband unexpectedly, and was left both a widow & single parent overnight.

As you can imagine, she struggled with immense grief and loss, and was unsure when she would be able to see beyond it...reminders of him were everywhere, and she wasn’t sure when the pain would ever subside.

But during a work meeting, while giving a presentation (or maybe she was chairing a meeting?), in that brief period, she forgot about her loss as she was immersed in her work. Sure, of course, her grief returned (as it often does). But in that brief moment, she felt a sense of “normalcy”, if there ever was such a thing.

Okay, so maybe work won’t be your “thing” and maybe it’s not grief that you’re struggling with. Maybe it’s something else (that’s okay and valid).

What I’m getting at is recognising our capacity to survive by recalling brief moments of survival. It all adds up...

Moments when either your pain, heartbreak, loss, disappointment (whatever you’re going through) was temporarily forgotten or even subsided a little. Moments, however fleeting but nonetheless important, of survival 🙂

340 Replies 340

Aaronsis
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Oh Pepper..I love this thread...YESSSS

While I cannot contribute as I am not suffering personally with mental health...only with grief...however, I think that this is such a great thread...what do people do and what is their happy place when times are so very tough.

It covers all sorts of Mental Health issues all rolled up into one..what do you do/say/feel to get a "break"...great conversation and I can't wait to read what others say too.

Hugs to you Pepper

Sarah

Soberlicious96
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

When I was 12 years old (1983) I was in the Ash Wednesday bushfires; in that we were unable to evacuate to a safe spot in time and became trapped in a burning building and lost everything. It was truly the most horrendous night of my life.

But my 30 seconds of relief was when I was staying at my Nan's house in the days that followed (while Mum and Dad were getting caravans set up for us to live in), and when I woke up in the morning, I could hear the beautiful warble of the magpies and other birds singing in her garden. It was just so beautiful and calming and has never failed to give me relief. Even today, even if there are no magpies around, I just have to 'imagine' that sound and I feel instant relief.

And in the last week or so, with all this wind around and all those fires in NSW, I am doing a fair bit of imagining that sound.

Anyway, great thread, thanks! xo

Guest_2496
Community Member

Such a great idea, thank you!

Today I’ve had two so far. Reading with my grandson before his nap; and then stacking the dishwasher at their house - realised when I’d finished I’d been totally immersed (no pun intended ha ha).

Well my 30 seconds was first when I seen my house (comfort zone) then had another one when I got it the shower and literally sat down and let the water run over me it felt so good for a minute 🙂

I really like the sound of this thread

Peppermintbach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi all,

Thank you so very much for sharing your survival moments. I’ve really gained from reading and I’m touched that you have been so receptive to this thread idea.

Thank you so very much! I really appreciate your contributions.

Aaronsis/Sarah: a warm thank you for the generous & supportive feedback. I’m so grateful for your kind words.

I think grief is very difficult, and as with all struggles, it’s completely valid. I can empathise with your struggles with grief...

Thank you for the hugs and here’s some hugs for you too 🙂

Soberlicious: I can’t even imagine how distressing & traumatic Ash Wednesday must have been for you...it’s clearly something that has been ingrained in your memory now...

I love how magpies gave you some comfort and relief back then, and even to this day, they still comfort you. I think that’s very special & moments of calm like yours can make all the difference...thank you so much for sharing...

Annie: 2 x moments of relief/survival. I think that’s fantastic!

It made me smile to read about your grandson and your puns are always welcome 😉 I bet they have some clean dishes now. Thank you so very much for sharing.

Wolfy: it’s great to hear from you too. I agree that home can be a safe haven/sanctuary.

Water pressure can be very soothing. I’m so glad you found 2 moments of resilience today. Well done 🙂

All readers:

Please feel free to contribute any time, as often or as infrequently as you like.

The premise of this thread (as in my opening post):

If you have been going through a hard time or struggling with something (whatever that may be) what were 30 seconds of respite, reprieve or relief that you experienced today? What were you doing in those 30 seconds?

You can write as often as you like or as infrequently as you like. It also doesn’t have to be 30 seconds either. That’s just a number that I chose, because I thought it would be doable for most people. It can be more or less than 30 seconds of survival.

I would love to hear from anyone who’s happy to share.

Kindness and care,

Pepper

Absolutely lovely thread 😊

I found peace this morning tying up my tomato plants to their supports 🌱

Hi wonderful people,

Lovely friend/birdy: Thank you very much for sharing. That made me smile. I hope you get some lovely ripe tomatoes soon.

What a beautiful moment of peace, immersion in nature and self nurturance xoxox

All readers:

The premise of this thread (as per my opening post):

You can write as often as you like or as infrequently as you like. It can be more or less than 30 seconds of survival. That’s just a number that I chose because I think it’s doable for most people 😉

Hi Pepper and all,

Not remotely surprised to see you come up with this fabulous idea for a thread. Thank you Pepper for all you give of yourself to these forums.

My moment of peace was working on my dry stacked rock wall today. Hot sun and physical work keep me busy.

Paw Prints
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi all,

My 30+ seconds was watching the fairy wrens use my bird bath. Now the weather is warming up they are using it most days. Today it was a pair of wrens....bright blue boy....browny grey girl..... who took it in turns whilst the other kept watch.