FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

parents - how to respond to your child coming out

Amanda2000
Community Member

My teenager has opened up to me and come out as an LGBT person. Not a total surprise to me as I had been noticing a few things here and there. Just sharing my experience here.

To the parents:

Even if you think you already know beforehand, be patient and wait for your child to "come out" when they're ready.

Chances are they had already come out to their friends and siblings. You may be the last one to know. But don't be offended. Your poor child has been struggling to make sense of all of this on their own and no doubt they fear disapproval/rejection from us. 

Our immediate response as parents is critical and sets the tone for the future. Shower them with unconditional love and support, make them feel safe that they don't need to deal with this alone and you'll always be there for them. Give them plenty of assurance that they are still the same person to us regardless.

Save your personal opinion for another time later down the track when things are more settled. Your child may misinterpret your personal view as being judgmental.

Remember those perfect-mum characters in TV shows that we all wished we had when we were dealing with our own teen issues (Brady Bunch, The Wonder Years, 90210)? They're always so calm & sweet & nurturing. That's exactly what your child needs from you right now. For any dads reading this, I think your child will find comfort in feeling the sensitive vibe from you.

To the ones still in the closet (both young and old):

Your parents/family/friends may be more understanding than you think.

If their immediate reaction is not what you had hoped for, it could just be that they are worried. There will be challenges ahead. Be patient and give them time to process this. Try to educate them bit by bit so that they can better understand over time.

1 Reply 1

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Amanda

What a great contribution to our forum. We often get LGBTIQ members here afraid of their "coming out" minefield and I'm sure some will now have the confidence to finish their journey.

Thankyou

TonyWK