FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

how can I start transitioning

uhhhhhh
Community Member

Hello,

I am 15, i recently figured out that I am ftm transgender and I've only told a couple of friends who I know are also transgender and my mother. My mum didn't really know how to react. it wasn't much of a conversation but I'm pretty sure she was supportive. it was a really tough conversation for me since I'm already really shy and embarrassed about my existence around my mum lol. She's trying to get me to see a therapist which is nice but she won't let me change my name yet.

i want to ask if I can start hormone therapy but I'm so scared or being rejected. anyone know any tips on how I can build up enough courage to ask

14 Replies 14

uhhhhhh
Community Member

hey,

yeah im not so sure anymore about my mum. She still hasn't bothered to make and changes with using different pronouns or even ask about the name again and she has barely talked about the topic apart from one time she said that I was faking it because it's in the media heaps. she's still taking me to the clinic to get an analysis thing but we haven't gotten a call back. I haven't gotten an email back from my school and school did start a week ago and the teachers have been using my deadname very often so I'm scared to ask again about it bc people in my class might question it and my friend is already being bullied for 'acting gay' and I get made fun of already for 'looking like a lesbian'

i really want to make changes with my name because i do look quite different from the end of last year and I just wanted to start fresh with a new name and have no one question it but I guess I can't now

anyway thank you so much for checking up 🙂

Guest_4643
Community Member

Hey uhhhhhh.

Congrats on coming out as transgender, I'm proud of you. I do hope your Mum and friends were supportive, even if the conversation wasn't that long. Regardless, we support you here.

I don't know much about sexuality and transgender (please forgive me and don't hate me), but I fully support you.

I hope you can start therapy, and get hormone injections, like you said.

Best of luck.

Tay100
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi uhhhhhh

No worries, we are here to support you! And you absolutely deserve the fresh start you crave. Could you email the school again or speak to someone directly, so that all the teachers are briefed properly and call you by the correct name? And when do you expect to hear back from the clinic?

Tay100

uhhhhhh
Community Member

hey,

it's been ages and I came out publicly to pretty much everyone but the rest of my family. I don't think id ever get to a clinic. My mum said to me "you don't want to be a boy, you're just confused and going through puberty" and then just continued to bash on my door since I didn't want to let her in bc I was really upset about her saying that. I'm now kind of kicked out of my mum's house which is fine I guess since I can just go to my dad's.

i am seeing a therapist because I ended up asking my dad for help and the therapist helps with lgbtqi issues I think. I can try and come out to my dad since I do know he's more educated on lgbt issues and he is more supportive but it's still hard. with the school, I talked to a school counselor and I think I can change my name through the school when I'm ready which is good.

thank you for asking

Jo8049
Community Member

That's awesome . Through the therapist you should get some good ideas . Remember be kind to your self and do seek support as it is so necessary whatever your age .

I have been doing home grown hormones for quite a while but supervised is so much safer . Yesterday ( 4th ) I had my first gender clinic appointment . Absolutely fantastic !!! Had no idea there are so many beautiful folk in the health system .

Find the true self and be happy . It will all come in time . You are brave , I know !

Best wishes and enjoy the ride

Jo&LD ( hugs & lol )