FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Gender neutral toilets.

Gruffudd
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

This week I made a change to the work toilets. Each consists of a toilet in a room with a door and the basin is in the hall and shared. On the door there were the old male and female figures. With the help of a trusty screwdriver they came off and were replaced with both male and female figures together with the word unisex below. (best I could get from the sign shop at short notice)

I didn't announce the change because I wanted to observe the reaction. I've been people watching since. Most have not changed their behaviour and are using the room they always did. Some have been using whichever takes their fancy. And the other non-binary staff member in the office had an outburst of happy laughter and made use of the one that they had never before been allowed in. No one has said anything yet.

I'm hoping to make this a permanent change and am prepared to argue. I have never felt safe in the Male facilities but don't look female so cause consternation going in there. At last somewhere for me where I can pee without anxiety.

How are others going with this? any opinions?

13 Replies 13

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi gruffudd

I agree with the concept...its the way the world is heading but don't like the execution.

If staff know they are being observed it won't go down well. They will also feel that the topic of toilets is a high priority with you rather than it be simply a decision made and left at that.

Just my views

Tony WK

Why should anybody mind? I mean, do we have 2 toilets in our own homes - one for the ladies and one for the gents? Of course we dont! I dont know why it should be any different in the workplace.

Sherie xx

pipsy
Community Member

Hi Gruffudd. Is there any reason why you can't just leave the 'unisex' sign, remove the male/female gender signs altogether. Heaps of public loos in parks particularly just have the 'unisex' sign on them. I was in Europe a few years ago, most loos are already unisex. You could still use the 'toilet' sign with an arrow pointing the way for any newcomers. Or even unisex toilets as the main sign. Where I work we have two toilets, one upstairs, one downstairs, neither use the words male/female, both just have 'toilet' written on them, both have locks of course. You wouldn't want someone bursting in.

Lynda.

Gruffudd
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

The thought is signs with just the word toilet, there is some disagreement on if universal symbols are necessary. There will need to be consultation with everyone before making permanent change.

Hey Rob

Im not really phased either way as long as I can 'go' when I need to!. Tom Elliot on 3AW drive said today that Melbourne Uni have made the decision to go Gender Neutral on all their toilets which is fine...I just wish they wouldnt advertise for specifically female applicants for recent positions available for teachers/lecturers in Mathematics.

I used to be confused but I just dont understand the mentality of Melbourne Uni...Conflicting and weird management at its finest.

No argument from the south Rob...Japan have done what you mentioned years ago...

Lynda ....Unisex....YES!

Paul

kanga_brumby
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
The bases are loaded and what does Gruffudd do knocks it out of the park for a home run great idea

pipsy
Community Member

Hey, Paul. I didn't know they could ask for specific gender based positions, anywhere. I understood that was outlawed years ago. I thought it's now based solely on experience, whether they could do the job. Wouldn't that come under sexual discrimination in the workplace? The same with race, connected with job applications. Quite mystifying for today.

Lynda.

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

The Govt brought in anti gender discrimination laws.

In recent times though some parties have advocated to fast track women in parliament to make it more 50/50.

It should be on merit not gender bias.

Tony WK

I'm not sure any particular merit is required to use a toilet.

These issues around gender and power always seem to arise when discussing making allowances for those who don't fit into the rigid stereotypes of male and female in some way. My question is who has the power or is making the decision? are they giving preferential treatment? who's needs are being met?

So as for our toilets. The change has had some positive impact. For a start there have been no cues. Conversations have changed, they used to be like, "you used the wrong one." Which was not OK with a trans staff member, especially as the three toilet rooms are all exactly the same.