FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Am to young for some of the 'Mens Groups' and to old for the 'Youth Groups'?

Zim
Community Member
I have been trying to look for a support group which can get me out of the house and connect me with similar minded people. Online is great but I think I would benefit a lot more from face to face interactions.

I know there are probably many groups out there that are inclusive and that the age listed is more of a suggested guide line. But being 28 im finding myself in the issue of my local groups pretty much being in two categories. Either youth groups advertising for people aged x-25 or mens groups focusing on men 35+.

Am I just not finding the relevant groups for me or is there a support group void in my age bracket?

Just for some basic background information, im dealing with Anxiety and Depression for over 5 years. Im sure its more complicated then that but those seems to be the two categories people tend to separate them into. Im gay, which has nothing to do with my depression but im sure is a factor when looking for a group nevertheless. Im also looking for some place relativity close as I don't drive and am unemployed atm. My biggest fear with the groups I have seen so far are that I feel like I wont connect with these people and will feel misplaced.

Thanks for the advice.

Ps: I saw there is a number to call for advice ( 1300 22 4636 ) which I plan to call but was hoping for some forum advice. Thanks again.
9 Replies 9

pipsy
Community Member

Hi Tim. I believe there may be a man's shed somewhere possibly near you.  Are you interested in gardening, woodwork, computers etc? I know there is a yearly fee, morning tea, lunch for a set price. If you look online there may be one listed near you. There are several in Qld, I believe there should be one near you. I feel pretty confident that once you join and start interacting, someone would most likely be prepared to help you with transport to and from.

Lynda.

White_Rose
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Dear Zim

Hello and welcome to Beyond Blue. So pleased you found your way here. There is a support group for people with depression and anxiety called GROW. You can look them up on your computer. There is a web site for Victoria GROW. http://www.grow.org.au/vic/ They have regional and metropolitan branches. As I understand it there is no age specifics for the group.

Lynda has suggested that you approach the Men's Shed organisation. In general the men are older and/or retired but there are also younger men. It's a great organisation and I thoroughly recommend this. Make a search.

I presume you see your GP periodically. Perhaps he/she will know of appropriate groups.

There is a forum called Sexuality and Gender Identity towards the bottom of the list of forums. It may be helpful for you to start a thread there. At the very least I suggest you browse that forum and all the other forums as well. I find you get tips from the most unlikely sources at times.

Try the above suggestions and let us know how you get on. Write in as often as you like.

Mary

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hi Zim, welcome to the forum.
When you want join a group your sexuality isn't taken into effect, it's about meeting and talking with other people, so have you been or rang the local council where they should have a list of groups or there should be an Apex group you could join, where someone could pick you up and then drop you back home. Geoff.

Gruffudd
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Zim,

Welcome to the forums. There are probably as many groups of gay people as there are of what we are interested in. My friend Paul would most likely suggest an app called meetup. I quite like my political party branch, and have been slowly getting into a running group.

I wonder if you are in the city or country and which state without giving away exactly where you are - then I might just be able to connect you with the best information source. Where I am our local LGBTI group is mostly late 20's early 30's and do a range of stuff from camping, to cafes, to forums, to well.. drag shows.

All the best.

Rob.

pipsy
Community Member

Hi Mary. The suggestion for Zim to contact grow is a good one. However if you're not 'into' religion it might be a bit heavy. I believe it also follows the same sort of program as AA with a 12 step recovery program. I used to attend grow many years ago and when I went it started and ended with a prayer. As I mentioned earlier if you're not into religion this could be a bit uncomfortable. The program may have changed it's format since I attended, it might be an idea for Zim to contact and ask about it.

Lynda.

Paul
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Zim,

Welcome!

I think I have become terribly predictable, as Rob has suggested exactly what I was going to suggest - meetup, the website or the app. There are thousands of groups of like-minded people who get together and do what they love. There are even support groups for men and depression. Meetup is community based so it's really quite fun finding a group that fits an interest you have.

If you've been confined to the house - that can make depression even worse as you allude wanting to get out and find a group.

Even if you find a group that isn't related to depression and is related to a keen interest, that could help a lot.

Stay in touch, I'd love to know if you find a group whether it's meetup or not and hear about you go.

Paul

Zim
Community Member

Thanks everyone who is posting replies.
Even know I am not replying to each one I am looking into each option show to me so far. Any other suggestions or information is more then welcome I am still reading and taking on all advice so feel free to keep on posting.

Thank you 🙂

Quote:pipsy "The suggestion for Zim to contact grow is a good one. However if you're not 'into' religion it might be a bit heavy."

Im atheist so while it wouldn't be a problem it would be uncomfortable. Thank you for making me aware 🙂

Gruffudd
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Zim,

Just saw the new avatar, I like it. Good work.

Rob.

Guest6093
Community Member

Hi Zim,

I know how you feel. I'm 32 and recently felt like I needed something to do and somewhere to go to get things out of my system, but felt awkward going to a Men's Shed and was too old for any of the Youth Support Services.

My story is, I've been unemployed for 2 years. I finally received a job which I was eventually fired from as they didn't feel I was right for the position and I was back to square one. Not only that, I had a wife and a baby on the way. Luckily, within 2 days I had already secured another position and am now content waiting for our bundle of joy to arrive.

That's to give you a background on me, however my eye caught your story since when I was fired from my job I had an epiphany to develop a support service in the local community for men to come along and talk about their problems. It seems there's support services around for young, old, kids and women but for us.

So, I guess I just wanted to say don't feel too bad that things aren't working out, but if you are interested in chatting you can get in touch with me. I'm not sure where you are based, but I'm from the South East Suburbs of Melbourne.

Robert