FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Will mediation help with abusive family member

Emeraldeye
Community Member

Four five years now, I have suffered from narcissistic abuse from my sister in law. This abuse has ranged from simple shunning, name calling, and manipulating situations so that myself and my husband and children are cut out of family events... to quite severe verbal abuse, screaming and lunging at me, gaslighting and sustained bullying. Some of her emotional outbursts have been in front of my young children, and three times now I've had to deal with the fallout of her inappropriate behaviour in front of them and explain it away so they don't feel so distressed. During this time, I have asked perhaps a dozen times if she would meet to talk through our issues and try and put it all behind us... This has always been refused, and the only communication I've really received from her with regards to what her perspective is in this whole situation is abusive communication.... so not only do I have really no idea what I've done/I do to trigger this kind of extreme behaviour, but I have had given absolutely no voice to express the hurt I've felt.

I myself have been treated for depression, anxiety and PTSD as a result of some of these attacks and the ongoing bullying, and it's been a terrible time for my husband also, who has also been diagnosed with depression. I made the decision a while ago to stop being around her at all, block her on my phone etc, and prioritise our healing. This has been hard for the wider family to understand, but they have mainly supported us. I've been through a great deal of counselling, and started to make headway, and we tried going to a few family events again. But then more recently there was another flare-up, and the abuse went to a level that really scared me. She also said she never wanted anything to do with me ever again. For me, that was it... I'd reached my limit. I had had enough. I was happy to give her what she wanted. I cut all ties again, moved on mentally and have missed out on family events where she was there, just so I could find peace in my head once again.

But then all of sudden, my husband and I get a request for us to go to mediation with them. It's so strange. Anyone else with any experience on mediation within families? Or experienced narcissistic abuse and had any positive outcomes either through reconcilliation? Or should I follow my gut, and stay away?!!

13 Replies 13

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Emeraldeye~

I would think your Husband's psych is quite possibly right -plus I'm very pleased he is using a psych to examine the matter.

Taking your time and getting into the most robust ways of coping possible also seems very wise, if things did not go well you might be set back, and that would be a terrible pity.

It looks to me you and you SIL want completely different and incompatible results from mediation. You want family harmony, I suspect she simply wants another forum to continue as before, relying upon good presentation to gain a possible ally.

Croix

Hello Emeraldeye, thanks for letting us know what the psych said.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

Hello Emeraldeye

Thanks for bringing us up to date. I do agree with your husband's psych that mediation is not a good idea, at least not now. I explained about the properly controlled method of mediation just in case you decided to try the mediation road. It is imperative you know how it should work and that the risk to you is minimised.

Being more informed about narcissistic behaviour is good and can help you deal with SIL more effectively. That's all to the good. Is she your husband's sister or SIL? I wonder how her husband feels. This is all beside the point really but I do wonder why or how he puts up with her behaviour.

Her letter to you shows she wants a new forum to attack you and is relying on the mediator to allow this. Which is another reason to refuse. A properly trained mediator would not allow this and most of venom would be deflected by not being allowed to say to your face. I suspect she does not know what a proper mediation process entails.

You are managing well at the moment and your husband. You are also able to see the family often enough so stay with the most comfortable way.

Mary

Your insight into the process was definitely helpful to me so I can know what to expect for the future and what to avoid.

This is my husband’s sister in law also, not blood sister. My brother in law has the difficult task of balancing on a tightrope between all of us. he must support his wife but he desperately wants family harmony too and so all communication goes between him and my husband. So it was him who told us our SIL wanted mediation.he has never really said what he thinks, I think his true thoughts would compromise him and make him feel disloyal to his wife. So we haven’t really asked.

We have now communicated back that now is not the time, so who know what will happen next. Hopefully a period of peace... but history says I can’t bank on that!!