FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Where is my friend?

SubduedBlues
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Growing up my family moved very often. In fact I never attended the same school more than two years consecutive. As an adult I joined the military and moved to different towns quite often myself. As a result of my nomadic lifestyle growing up,  I became quite used to meeting new people and speaking with strangers. 

Unfortunately I really didn't have any friends last more than a couple of years.  So I suppose I really didn't learn how to make a long term relationship work until after I got married.  And then it was always the hard way. My only long term friend,  outside of a work colleague, has been my wife.

Now she's gone. 

I can make short acquaintances for a couple hours, but nothing that is likely to last more than to the next time I bump into them at the next public social.  No real friendship ever cones. Come to think of it, the last time anyone ever rang to ask me to participate in a social event was when I was in the military. Over 30 years ago.

No one wants to be friends with someone who has issues. So any idea where someone with problems goes to meet people with problems? 

11 Replies 11

SubduedBlues
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Well, it seems as though I went and did something stoopid after all. I allowed myself to hope again. So when she stopped by this afternoon to say that we need to tell the kids that she is officially leaving and we are officially separating,  I was dumbstruck. 
I should have seen this coming. I should have been prepared. I wasn't. I'm not. 

My hole is too shallow and my rock is too small. Please oh please won't someone pour concrete atop of my rock? 

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi D'jected,

Sorry to hear of the news from your ex. Have you guys spoken with your children yet? I know this is something that's really difficult to discuss with them, and it's only natural that you feel you've lost hope in the relationship.

Perhaps now you can change that profile to single? It's better in the long run to have closure rather than to feel like you're in limbo land not knowing if you have a chance or not. As difficult as this may be just now.

In your hole and with cement covering you, you don't have the opportunity to be strong and brave for your children. As a dad, and a very good one at that, this is what you need to focus on now. It's tough as a parent to be forced to put your own feelings aside for the sake of children, but it will bring you more joy to see your children happy than if they were full of uncertainty.

I hope you'll get back to us.

AGrace