FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Struggling with husband over parenting

ElectricBlue
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I've been struggling a lot in my marriage lately as my husband & I have different parenting styles with our 2.5 year old. He is much more of a disciplinarian (doesn't put up with much) where as I am a little more easy going. I still discipline, however not as quickly or forcefully as I should (according to my husband).

My son is going through what I believe is a phase at the moment where he only really wants me to play with him/help him do things & this has left my husband feeling very rejected. I have told him that it's just a phase but he gets extremely angry, yells at our son & blames me for not disciplining him enough.

I think that my husband is also very upset about the whole situation because his 3 other children (to his ex-wife) have nothing to do with him anymore & I believe he thinks that this is somehow happening again, even though our son is only 2.5 & not a teenager like his others are.

I don't know how to handle the situation. I'm not sleeping, I'm over-eating & I find myself with a very short fuse & don't want to take it out on my son.

Any suggestions or ideas to navigate this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 🙂

10 Replies 10

Hi ElectricBlue

You both sound like reasonable parents who are open to being flexible. It must be of some relief that you're husband's open to ideas involving change.

I find parenting is definitely a learn as you go sort of thing. Every time my kids get older and face new challenges, it's kind of like 'Okay, how do I do this parenting thing at this point of their life?' 🙂 I find it's also an unlearn as I go sort of thing too. Having to unlearn my parents' parenting style (if need be) can also be a part of the challenge.

I'm so glad the gradual changes are paying off for everyone 🙂